• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pull engine and trans as one piece?

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought a 03 XLT, 250k with a blown engine, solid frame and decent cab, my present ride is a good running 04 Edge with 105K and a rusted out patched up frame. They're equipped purdy much the same. Yep, the classic build one out of two job..
I'm stripping the 03 now, and was wondering if it's possible to pull the engine and trans (minus T case of course) together. I'v not pulled the engine on a Ranger before, those bell housing bolts look awful hard to get to, so, anybody tried it this way??
Thanks for any input!!

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Ive never pulled both, but Ive took the trans out of my 93 twice, to more easily get to the top bolts (if you pull trans seperate) have a jack under transmission, remove crossmember after t-case is pulled and lower the jack, not only can you get to the upper bell housing bolts better, you can then pull apart the electric plugs going to the oxygen sensors a little easier. Granted my truck was a ohv and yours is a ohc but Im fairly sure its similar. Only motor ive pulled was a ‘88 2.3 , I left the trans in the chassis. (engine overhaul & clutch replacement)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I like to get the top bolts with a flex head ratcheting wrench, from the top.

Rascan's method works well too with one caveat. When the trans is hanging like that those top two bolts CANNOT be the last two. In fact they almost need to be the first two, because each bolt removed makes the top ones tighter.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Pulling them both together can be difficult. You pretty much need one of those adjustable lifting devices that moves the center of gravity as you are lifting. The whole assembly has to come up and forward, and as the engine gets close to the A/C coil (the radiator has to be out) the very front of the engine must be lifted radically up while the trans is still under the firewall. It's touch and go, and tranny fluid pours out all over the place.

As the others said, the bellhousing bolts are not that hard to get to. You can reach up from underneath and get most of them.

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the tips guys, I think I'll do it like racsan said, trans and everything is coming out anyway, now if I can get those exhaust bolts loose without breaking any I'll be happy!!!

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Lift the cabs if you want to pull both at the same time. Otherwise, drop the trans first.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I like to get the top bolts with a flex head ratcheting wrench, from the top.

Rascan's method works well too with one caveat. When the trans is hanging like that those top two bolts CANNOT be the last two. In fact they almost need to be the first two, because each bolt removed makes the top ones tighter.
yes, I do start with those top 2 bolts. 3/8 drive long handle flex-head ratchet. Yes the exhaust bolts can be the worst of the job. On re-assembly I get a couple of metric bolts , same size as bell housing bolts, cut the hex head off and with a hacksaw make a screwdriver slot- finger tight into engine block and you have guide pins.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
yes, I do start with those top 2 bolts. 3/8 drive long handle flex-head ratchet. Yes the exhaust bolts can be the worst of the job. On re-assembly I get a couple of metric bolts , same size as bell housing bolts, cut the hex head off and with a hacksaw make a screwdriver slot- finger tight into engine block and you have guide pins.
I have a pair of long bolts, longer even than the dowel bolts. I use them to draw it up. I don't remember what they came from, but they are off a Ranger.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Pulling them both together is not bad at all... thats the only way I’ll pull my drive trains from my donors.
Just be sure to pull the “Y” pipe and oil filter and it’s really not that bad.

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Well, after rounding off three of the bell housing bolts on the '97 donor Exploder, figured we'd give pulling them together a go... Not that bad, a PITA for sure but doable, just need to add some more weight to the front of our 'lil tractor...
Good thing is after we got it out we found a Reman tag on the motor ('99 date on the block and heads) looks reasonably clean inside.
eng pull 11-20-20-a.jpg
eng pull 11-20-20-b.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals