• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project: Moose Knuckle; Part III

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
jeeze man u work fast

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I quit drinking again. So when I'm not at my, I'm going all out on the truck. Instead of drinking crappy beer.

Tomorrow morning I'm pickin up some 4x6 square tube, to make an x member to hang the leaves.

That should be easy part. I just gotta figure out what I can do for the gas tank. I'm thinkin Keg.

Building the bed should be easy. I've been buying tools from harbor freight and returning them with in 30 days.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Fun fun.

I thought I could relocate my stock gas tank. Well it's too long to fit. So I did some research and a fuel pump from a 4.9 I6 puts out the same flow as the pump for my 3.0. Or at least very close. So I picked up a 33 gal tank from a 8? FSB with a 4.9. I'm adapting my pump and evap stuff into the Bronc's fuell sending unit assy. It's sitting between the frame rails right behind the chassis.

My bed will have to be angled up about 4" right behind the cab to fit the tank, but that way it only hangs out 2" under the frame.

Just down to:

Mounting gas tank and retro fitting fuel system

U-bolting axle in and re welding perches and setting pinion angle

Shock mounts up high and on the axle

Shortening drive shaft

Finishing bed along with wiring up lights.
For the lights I'm gonna pick up a set of trailer lights, and just run them to my harness, and recess them into the fenders or bumper. (I can't decide) Should be wicked cheap and easy.

Here's the progress. Ish.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic

oatmealman

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep yj 14b rea
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well adam has been really busy lately so I'm posting this up for him,He also lost his phone so I'm posting up date pictures for him too.

Oh where to start.The truck now has the bed set onto it and the mounts are being made.The gas tank skid still needs to bolted up(hence the ratchet strap for quick drives through neighborhood to make sure everything is good.)The wheelbase is at 113" now.

The truck drives just fine,We went a picked up a 33 gallon bronco tank and while adam was figuring out the mounting.I was figuring out wiring and the canister lines(a.k.a drilling a few holes in the top of the tank and puttying connectors we cut out of the ranger fuel pump assy.)

Speaking of the fuel pump assy. I took the ranger pump,and return regulator and shoved it onto the stock bronco pump assy. and the sending unit is acutually damn accurate.The tank for anyone else wanting to do this is out of slant nose bronco aka I wanna say 82-87.The tank had to have some holes drilled for the canister vapor lines,but we got all that figured out.

The return regulator was blown out so under load the truck would just sit there,bog and not go anywhere.So we yanked that bitch off and threw a hose clamp on the hose and tightened it down to the point of only a little fuel can get through.It works great and I don't suspect any problems with it.

The bed and exhaust are all mocked up and tacked and now needs just full welding.It looks sick.The mounts need to be made and that's getting done tommorow.The tail lights got mounted up but the right now for some reason isn't working but we'll get that figured out.

Here's the to-do list-
balance driveshaft
bed mounts and bolt bed down
drill holes for gas tank skid and get straps
figured out tail light problem
throw doors back on
and finish the exhaust and this damn truck is completly done HOT DAMN.Here's some pictures of it parked outside and the fuel tank.The tank pictures are before we drilled the holes and modified for the canister vapor lines.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
wtf where'd the box go?

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Oh don't you worry about that!

I pulled it down to work on the gas tank with ease, and cause the tank got in the way of the original body/bed mount holes, so I've gotta fab up some new mounts. Should be easy.

The bed is on, (ratchet strapped on) Got the fenders done, just have to sheet metal it and add a few x members.

My phone was destroyed in a keg explosion at work, so I've got no recent pictures.

Still havin gas problems. More hose clamps!

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic

The bed only looks crooked cause it's sitting on wood blocks and held on with ratchet straps.

Still havin problems with fuel. Too much is returning into the tank. I hope I didn't blow the fuel pressure regulator. I did how ever blow the in tank regulator, so I'm hopin I can get lucky at the junk yard tomorrow.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
well i must say it looks real truggyish lol. im starting on my rig again here soon :D

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Mike, my phone was destroyed in a keg explosion at work. PM me your number.

Truck runs after massive amounts of problems.

I slowly replaced every bit of the fuel system trying to find the issue.

First it was returning way too much fuel cause the return regulator was fubared.

Second, the pump went out.

Third, fuse blew.

Forth, over pressureized the fuel rails due to issues with problem 1. Cracked an injector and developed a slow leak and the inability to keep fuel pressure.

Fifth, the check valve in the new pump was shot and lettin fuel dump back into the tank through the send.

Now I'm running an oil pressure guage as a fuel pressure guage off the a piller. It's fun to watch it as I drive.

The rear bed mounts are done, the front had/have to be revised due to the gas tank placement.

So now it's just down to:
Having drive shaft balenced (co worker's uncle owns a drive shaft shop. kick ass)

Shock mounts/cross member

Front bed mounts / diamond plating

Tucking up brake lines and fuel lines.

To give a good idea of how shitty the work weather has been:

Oatmealman decided to use an old wheel to help us keep warm while cutting and welding in the snow. To hell with that entire "earth on an axis" thing.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
How high above the frame rail does the fuel tank sit, and how is driveshaft clearance? Looking at something similiar for when I get the 6.0L swap done....but I don't have a bodylift and it looks fairly tall already.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Sitting in the skid plate it sits 2" below the chassis, and maybe 6 to 8" above not counting fuel lines etc.

I think it's like 16 or 18" tall. I had to trim the tops of the frame rails a tid to get her to sit in there. Nothing toooooo much. It's a tight squeeze.

Got the spare carrier done(ish) today.
Mitch adjusted the shift linkage while I was weldin. It actually stays in park now! No more keepin wood blocks in the cab along with a giant stick to push the blocks to the tires.

It's down to:
shocks
tucking things up
and diamond plating the bed
and a rear bumper.
With another tire carrier. Cause bad ass rigs carry two. Or when you happen to have a 6 lug knuckle.

it swings across the top bars and rests on the fender perfectly. Here's some recent pictures.

I'll get some more shots of the technical fun tomorrow.

Last edited:

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
shits looking good. id like to see her in person again sometime

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
shits looking good. id like to see her in person again sometime
+1 me too. i think when hes done a meet n greet at hooters in order:D

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
dont cha like how it was 2 feet of snow a week ago now its 70 degrees during the day?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals