• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Prices

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I can appreciate that. I’ve never driven a newer ranger, so I don’t know how it acts

I’m use to driving a manual. So if I press the gas, I want it to start accelerating.

Not wait a second for it to figure what gear it should be in based on the percentage of throttle, shift three gears, and then accelerate.

You have to compensate for what you think the computer is going to do and plan your attack ahead of time so it does what you need when you need it.

I’ve said it before, but I feel like using an automatic transmission is like trying to heard a bunch of feral cats through an open field. They’re not good for daily drivers, they are too much work.
If you ever own one, you’ll see that the idiosyncrasies are really easy to get used to. It wouldn’t take more than a day or so. IMO, the 10 spd is probably one of the smoothest shifting factory transmissions without the slushy feeling. The close ratios keep the engine in its powerband to the point that you don’t even notice it shifting half the time.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’ve heard people complain about the 10 speed, I’ve never had an issue with either one I’ve owned or the dozens we have at work.

The only thing I’ve noticed is that when you try to accelerate from a cruising speed, the computer has to think about it, the trans has to downshift, then the engine will rev up. It’s a noticeable delay, but it’s no more then a second.
Interesting. I thought the lag was because of the turbo in the 2019. Maybe not so much as I thought then.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Interesting. I thought the lag was because of the turbo in the 2019. Maybe not so much as I thought then.
The turbos too small to lag more or less. Its sized for torque so it's gonna light up extremely quick. if it were sized for 400hp though.. it would definitely lag.

With no boost guage it's kinda hard to know when it starts getting made but yeah... there's definitely situations where your putting along below 2k rpm and give it a bit more throttle and it'll start making all sorts of boost.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Most of my experience with the Ecoboost is in F150s with the 3.5l and 2.7l… I’ve only driven a 2019+ Ranger a few times. It may have turbo lag, I really don’t know. I know how the 10 speed reacts because I’ve put 25k miles on the one in my F150 and we have a heavy duty version behind a 7.3l in our service truck (no turbo lag there).

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
It just seems to me that $25k for a 2011 Ranger even if low miles is just too much. Am I nuts or are they?
Have been refining my search and I think I'm looking for '05-'11 either Ranger XLT Supercab 4x4 w/ 4.0L or Mazda B4000 (later ones were all extended cab, 4x4, and 4.0L, production ended '08, there are some '09 but they are the same as '08). Nice thing about the Mazdas is they came loaded. Still pricey as can be though.
I think some prices may be starting to drop. Maybe I have to wait for the recession to hit.
I just saw an "09 XL White SC on FBMarket for $10K. $10,000 for a 13 year old base model work truck. I'm so glad I'm not in the market for a vehicle. I have a gas sipping DD and a small Nissan pick-up for "trucking" and we got a new SUV right before all of this "pandemic/shipping crisis/chip shortage" pricing hit.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I think the complaints about the 10spd boils down to, they have too many gears. People don’t want to have their transmission shifting all the time because they notice it.

They want a low rpm torque monster with a three speed. They way it feels the same no matter when they press on the go button.
I mean...thats what i prefer too. But thanks to the EPA those days are unfouruantly gone and its getting hard to find nice, useable, older trucks.

Either they want to sell them as a survivor ($$), they are rotted out total garbage bastardized by anyone whos had their hands on it (- $) or they are a restored show piece ($$$$)

So im guessing then the 10 speed is alright then just takes getting used to huh?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So im guessing then the 10 speed is alright then just takes getting used to huh?
They've been making them for while and I don't hear that many complaints about their longevity. They can't be that bad.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have to get used to the 10spd and they have to get used to you. We have had no complaints about the 10R60 in our Bronco yet.

I like the 6spd in my 16 F-150... I liked the 4R70W better in my 02 better. I could halfway command shifts just on throttle position which was nice when towing.

Tow/haul on the 16 is freaking stupid, I haven't figured out yet what it is good for.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
It's not turbo lag, it's drive by wire that was designed to make the EPA happy, it doesn't know what to do hen the throttle is moved quickly. Just be happy it doesn't go WOT without warning like Toyota's drive by wire did for a while.
We used to sell a bunch of 3.5 EcoBoost trucks and people loved them, we had very few problems and the 5.0's were good, too.
The worst problem with the 5.4 3 valve was the spark plugs breaking but my crew figured out quickly how to avoid breaking them.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Getting back to the original topic, you'll probably start to see some prices drop before long. Used vehicle prices at auction likely peaked back in April/May timeframe and higher interest rates will help to cool the market somewhat too:

Pricing also depends on the type of vehicle you're looking for:

This stuff takes time to change on a large scale. I'd guess by this time next year we'll be in a pretty different spot with used car pricing. But prices may never return to what some people think they should be. What would've been a $10k truck 5 years ago might bottom out around $14-15k when this all settles down. Patience is a virtue, but if you have to have a very specific vehicle, then just set a price that you think you can stomach and be ready to pull the trigger when you find the one you want at that price.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You have to get used to the 10spd and they have to get used to you. We have had no complaints about the 10R60 in our Bronco yet.

I like the 6spd in my 16 F-150... I liked the 4R70W better in my 02 better. I could halfway command shifts just on throttle position which was nice when towing.

Tow/haul on the 16 is freaking stupid, I haven't figured out yet what it is good for.
I think the tow haul works quiet well on my '16 F150, I use it when towing the boat and the camper.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

Ive driven a few with the 6speed. Havent drove any 10 speeds yet. I was all hell bent to sell my 97 this winter and buy one come spring but i think im gonna sit on it another year and see what happens with interest rates and things. I dont really *need* a different truck...just concerned its only a matter of time till mine costs me another big repair bill.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ive driven a few with the 6speed. Havent drove any 10 speeds yet. I was all hell bent to sell my 97 this winter and buy one come spring but i think im gonna sit on it another year and see what happens with interest rates and things. I dont really *need* a different truck...just concerned its only a matter of time till mine costs me another big repair bill.
A big repair bill on a 97 is still a lot less than a much newer truck.

When I finish my 1 ton truck build I'll have a new engine for what a set of turbos would run on my Ecoboost 😀

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think the tow haul works quiet well on my '16 F150, I use it when towing the boat and the camper.
I tried it when I was hauling a playhouse and when I was hauling my tractor.

It thinking it needed to downshift and enginebrake all the time got really old really fast.

I was ferrying gravity flow wagons last night and didn't even bother with it.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
The downshifting while in tow mode IS pretty excessive, unless your close to maxed out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals