• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

price on cat's seems high...?

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Hey guys.. I have to replace both front cats on my 2000 4.0 ohv and the best price I can find is $200 each, does that sound right...?
Dang California emissions:bawling
I guess it is what it is.

Last edited:

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
that sounds right for the cali-only ones. out here in Free America, they are only about $120/each.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
The mechanic that ordered them said they come as one piece , I guess meaning they have the flange for exhaust manifolds and the tail piece for the other two cats, I dunno..I just have to get it done, I shouldn't complain , they are 173K and 15years old. It pinches a a little if you know what I mean:annoyed:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The direct fit ones are expensive because they are direct fit. On the later Rangers they are part of the Y pipe to boot, which jacks the price further.

I just did a cat on an 09 (under warranty thankfully), the left was $600 and the right was almost $1000.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Price is decent. Just ordered a new cat and downpipe for our Beetle. (Great German Car...)

Dealership was over $900. Other stores not understanding the "CARB" laws that NY put into effect kept trying to sell me one for Cali emissions. Yes kids. New York State now REQUIRES all cars sold after I think 2014 to meet Cali Emissions standards.

Finally found a parts house in NYC that has them for $159 with a 5 year warranty. After taxes and shipping it's under $200. I had to call the parts rep yesterday from work as they had to play 20 questions with me so they knew it was a legal sale to a NYS resident.

We need to kick our rep's in the arse over that nonsense. Federal Emissions are fine for the rest of the country. CA has it's own set of issues.

S-

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, PA has been a CARB state since 05. The ONLY good thing that comes of it is the 8 year 80K mile California Emissions warranty on things like cats and computers.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
adsm08/tedybear, Thank you for your input, adsm08, I always respect your opinion because your a cert ford tech, anyway thank all of you.
The mechanic told me he could hollow them out but rcomended we don"t ,if I ever wanted to sell the truck I would have to replace them anyway, living in the little town here we don't have emission tests [yet], but I'do want the old girl to be right and this is what it takes

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Hollowing cats is iffy. If you are in a pinch and have to drive it and they are collapsed it will get you on the road. My personal experience has been that it produces undesirable results if done incorrectly. To do it right you need to put a pipe in place that is the same size as the rest of the pipes. If you just punch them out and put the housing back in empty, like I did years ago, you loose highway mileage. I dropped an average 2 MPG.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Not going to mess with altering the cat's , just buy the new parts. I'm pretty sure these are original, if I get half the life of the new ones I'll be happy.

I think I've read your comments before on guy's that want to or have gutted their cats and causes the trucks to not run right or it messes the computer ,
I don't want to chance it or throw money away..

Thanks..
d

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
For the most part it will run OK, and it won't really mess with the computer. The real thing with it is that the heads and exhaust system are tuned to flow with that restriction in place because the exhaust system scavenges itself. If you remove that you put a big pocket of dead space in the system that makes the engine work harder at certain points in the RPM range. Plus the only truly toxic component of exhaust is the NOx and that's what the cats are there to deal with.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
That makes sense, I know engines are supposed to a certain amount of back pressure. My milage the last 300 miles had gone right in the dumper. I believe the mechanic said there was 200 degrees temperature between the cats and there is a 'rattling noise", behind the cat in the exhaust pipe and said thats one telltale sign on the bad cat side, but I'm going to change them both, they are original I believe.

Last edited:

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
How many cats does your 2000 have mine had 2 total and it was a cali truck with a 4.0 if you need just the cats i have the ones out of my truck there not going back in we would have to figure out shipping

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
It has four, I'm going to keep it stock, if I ever sell it , could be a problem.
I'm not planning selling but, you never know.

Karbuster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 Mostly....
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6 (for now)
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Curb? What curb, I felt a speedbump
so i have a 2003 4.0l in washington that the cats just took a poop on, laid back area, never even seen an emissions test performed (and i travel between the northwest states a lot) i hope its just the back 2 that are bad and not the front two cause if it is im going to just bet a pipe fabbed up to replace the back two and replace the muffler with an aftermarket. What do you guys think?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals