• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Prerunner RC Build

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
After all this...... please don't add to the ranger carnage thread.

I have always been fascinated with rc's but I've never really played, a guy on here is selling one dirt cheap that I want.... but pay day and bill day are pretty close together, and then petty cash is going to a trail rig.

Love the work, that's dedication!!!

Frank

that_one_guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I cant tell but are the beams contacting the joints at the frame mount? How much travel do you plan on having now that everything is made?

sooperxtool

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1993 2004
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think the only difference between them is the chassis. That's what I've been told anyway.
I just don't want it to look goofy if the offsets are different.... As for my rustler, the fronts are a positive offset, and I believe the rears are zero... I'm not looking at them at this very moment but I'm pretty sure thats how they are. So maybe I wouldn't even need any kind of adapters?? Sorry I'm kinda thinking out loud, or should I say out type? lol I'll figure it out soon enough. I need to run over to hobby town anyway to pick up some new shocks I had on order. They're actually really sweet looking, they are aluminum Integys with piggybacks :headbang:

that_one_guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think the only difference between them is the chassis. That's what I've been told anyway.
I just don't want it to look goofy if the offsets are different.... As for my rustler, the fronts are a positive offset, and I believe the rears are zero... I'm not looking at them at this very moment but I'm pretty sure thats how they are. So maybe I wouldn't even need any kind of adapters?? Sorry I'm kinda thinking out loud, or should I say out type? lol I'll figure it out soon enough. I need to run over to hobby town anyway to pick up some new shocks I had on order. They're actually really sweet looking, they are aluminum Integys with piggybacks :headbang:
ewwww integy. I have never had anything good to say about any of there products. Anything i have ever had from them broke. motor caught fire! three link mounts broke shocks just plain sucked. but thats just IMO. *[End High Jack]*

sooperxtool

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1993 2004
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Idk. I hear both sides. People say they have never had problems, ran their parts hard etc. And then people say they're no good... I guess I'll just have to experience it for myself and decide.

Alex FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Idk. I hear both sides. People say they have never had problems, ran their parts hard etc. And then people say they're no good... I guess I'll just have to experience it for myself and decide.

it all depends what you use them for. Integy makes its stuff out of cheap aluminum and it likes to bend. I would never use it for motor mounts or anything that has a lot of stress but if you don't hit any walls the shocks should do ok.

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I cant tell but are the beams contacting the joints at the frame mount? How much travel do you plan on having now that everything is made?
Yup...... that'll be part of the redesign on V2 of the beams when they're made out of aluminum. :D I used different rod ends on the beams than what I had in CAD an also had to adjust the mounts slightly to get the correct track width. this put the bulkier part of the beam where the old radius arm mount was right under the frame mount.

They're actually really sweet looking, they are aluminum Integys with piggybacks :headbang:
I'm afraid I'm not an integy fan either. Especially their shocks...... I don't think i've ever had a set that actually held oil. I have a set now on a monster truck and the only reason I use them is because they're not plastic and don't snap the tops off but I stopped putting oil in them because it leaked out after a few short runs. It's like a pogo stick since it has no damping.

I've been scratching my head the last couple days trying to figure out these shock mounts and I think I finally came to a conclusion today at lunch. i was bending up some 3/16" rod and messing around with some stock Tamiya mounts and something clicked. It's not really the most compact mount in the world but it'll have a decent look to it after together and should definitely be strong. CAD image for now of the idea, hopefully the real thing will be together soon. what do you guys think? Somewhat close to the real deal? It's about 3/8" higher in the CAD drawing than it will be on the truck but I didn't feel like editing it. The rod in the drawing looks really thin too......

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The front end is finally sitting on it's own! The springs are surprisingly close to the right rate too.

It has a bit more up travel than this

Lots of drop out!

And a naked shot

Everything went together good. Driver side spring on the shock grazes the beam mount on the frame rail. Not sure if I'll let that go or maybe smooth out the mount a bit. Didn't get a chance to do the cross bar for the mounts. I think I'll get the body mounted now that way I have a good working point for placing the rear axle. Then I'll tackle the steering.

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
time for some flares and u might want to give a bit of preload to the front c/o

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I do need some opinions from you guys though. I'm starting to lay out the rear suspension and need some input.

The truck I've been using for research is leaf sprung (raceranger's) and the shocks mount right on top of the leaf pack on top of the axle and run on the outside of the frame up to the frame mount. I'm not wanting to run leafs so what other realistic options are there that might be common in a garage build? 4-link with a sway bar?

I've seen the setup where the lower link has the shock mount in it and the shock is mounted more towards the cab instead of back towards the axle. Is this pretty common to do while keeping the full frame or would most people cut the frame rails off behind the cab and do a full tube bed?

The issue I'm having is that it looks like it'll be hard to mount the shocks to the links and keep the shocks on the outside of the frame rail.

sooperxtool

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1993 2004
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hmmm... Well since you have experience with their shocks I guess I'll check out some other options.... I just really need something thats solid aluminum. My stock plastic bodied ones explode all the time.

Sweet progress man.

Alex FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i know its still in progress but those savage shocks are running very low. Doesnt seem right to me. this may be too small but maybe you should get the dimensions for the HPI Firestorm or Hellfire shocks.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
can i have this when your done? lol this thing is cool. how did you even get started with this

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i know its still in progress but those savage shocks are running very low. Doesnt seem right to me. this may be too small but maybe you should get the dimensions for the HPI Firestorm or Hellfire shocks.
You mean they're almost completely compressed at ride height? I agree if that's what you're referring to. They are around 104mm compressed and 162mm extended eye to eye. I think it might have just a bit too much drop out anyway? What do you guys think? If I could find a slightly shorter shock that will reduce the drop out some and also give me a little more up travel. I've love to find something around 95mm-150mm or so.

can i have this when your done? lol this thing is cool. how did you even get started with this
First question answer = :thefinger: haha!

As for getting started. It was just an idea then came across a body that would lend itself perfect for the project. Then just lots of planning after that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals