• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) Power mods

Micahfriesen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
What are my options for adding power to this engine? I would prefer to keep the engine components stock (ie no pistons/rods and such). I'm not looking for anything crazy, just a bit more get up and go for when I pull out in front of people. Just looking for options and prices. Thanks

edit: I will add that I would prefer not to tune the ecu, although that is subject to change if it is a good option.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
what gear ratio is in the differential? that is the easiest, fastest way to make a vehicle faster.

if you don't have a 4.10, and i don't know what came on the 4 cylinder trucks, get a 4.10 axle from the junkyard on an explorer or ranger with the 4.10s.

welcome to the group.

Micahfriesen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I don't know what ratio it is. It cruises around 2,100 to 2,200 rpm at 60mph.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
look on the tag on the differential and you can also take a picture of hte sticker on the driver door, like where the latch is. look up the info in the tech section on here and it should tell you what the numbers mean.

but i always just climbed under the took a pic of the metal tag on the diff cover bolt. it will tell you the numbers. the shape of the diff cover tells you if its an 8.8 or 7.5 (i think is the smaller one)

check out the tech section though and it should help out.

Ford Ranger Rear Axles (1983-2011) - The Ranger Station

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Adding a noticeable amount of mo' powa' to a single cam 4 cyl isnt exactly cheap.. or easy.. and the aversion to internal work & tuning only makes things worse unfortunately.

Micahfriesen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Adding a noticeable amount of mo' powa' to a single cam 4 cyl isnt exactly cheap.. or easy.. and the aversion to internal work & tuning only makes things worse unfortunately.
Yes, I'm aware that it won't be cheap. How much power could you get out of a cam?

Micahfriesen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
look on the tag on the differential and you can also take a picture of hte sticker on the driver door, like where the latch is. look up the info in the tech section on here and it should tell you what the numbers mean.

but i always just climbed under the took a pic of the metal tag on the diff cover bolt. it will tell you the numbers. the shape of the diff cover tells you if its an 8.8 or 7.5 (i think is the smaller one)

I will have a look sometime here. One thing I don't like about switching diffs is then your speedometer is way off.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Speedo doesn't change on '98 and newer as it is driven by the tone ring on the ring gear, unless the tires change size it always reads right, assuming you don't change from a 7.5 to an 8.8 as they have different tooth counts.

Not a whole lot to be gained with a cam, even a turbo with light boost I would only trust maybe 3psi on the hypereutectic pistons with stock everything else and no tuning

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Yes, I'm aware that it won't be cheap. How much power could you get out of a cam?
Bo-port's stage 1.1 n/a Ranger street cam is good for +15whp. The cam itself is 400$ but ideally you'd want to spend the extra hundred on their HLA's as well. Doesn't require tuning.

Their stage 1.5 street cam is good for +25 whp.. but really kinda needs a tune for a street driven vehicle.

These are pretty much the only 2 cams available that provide decent gains and arent meant for turbos, that I've found anyways.

Micahfriesen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I appreciate the info. On the Bo-port racing cams, they are meant for the 2.3l engines. Are they cross compatible with the 2.5l engines? 15whp gain is around a 12-13% gain, and 25whp gain is around 21% gain, both of which I feel like would be noticeable.

Micahfriesen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If I go with a cam, will it give it more lift, and make it an interference engine, or does it just give it more duration? Also what tuner would I need?

Micahfriesen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual

PXL_20240429_220007389.jpg

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
What are my options for adding power to this engine? I would prefer to keep the engine components stock (ie no pistons/rods and such). I'm not looking for anything crazy, just a bit more get up and go for when I pull out in front of people. Just looking for options and prices. Thanks

edit: I will add that I would prefer not to tune the ecu, although that is subject to change if it is a good option.
I will reply with the same answer I got when asking about my 3.0 on my first ranger....

Get a bigger engine.

I'm just joking. Like others have said, a few people make camshafts, but aside from that and a mild tune, you can't do much without upgrading internals. Unless you want aftermarket inspection holes in the block.

That reminds me. Does anyone make forged pistons for the 4.0 SOHC, or am I out of luck? (yes, someday I want to do a performance build)

Micahfriesen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah bigger engine would be ideal :agree: But thats not always realistic. I'll probably just sit tight for the moment saving those pennies for potential upgrades in the future. Just want some options so I can be thinking about it.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Driving home I was thinking and looking at the speeds and rpm's you were talking about, I think you'd be happier with 4.10 rear gears like I have... I'm at 2600rpm at about 62mph, I've played with tire size to know it matters in 5th gear...

15hp with just a cam change is pretty impressive, especially if it's wheel horsepower, that's closer to a 20% increase...

From '95 on the 2.3L and 2.5L are pretty much the same other than crankshaft, rods and pistons aside from little things like returnless fuel rail on the 2.5L and I think one size bigger injectors and a couple small things... I don't know about interference or not and am curious on that, $400 is a fair amount but making me go hmm...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals