• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power failure @ key start

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
I just finished off the last bits on a 2.3t engine swap and went to turn the engine over. First key pos. is fine- lights come on/fuel pump kicks on, then turning to the next position to engage the starter I hear a knock coming from somewhere under the hood on the starter side that sounds like a house breaker shutting down. After that sound there is total power loss, but the power just comes back after a few minutes and disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery without blowing any fuses. I tried twice with the same result. Checked battery terminals and good connection there. Also, checked the starter wiring. The neg- goes from the starter body directly to the neg- battery terminal, and the heavy black wire coming from the solenoid is attached to the other end of the starter. This starter only has two wires. Any ideas guys? I'm so close to trying to start this thing.

Last edited:

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I think I figured it out. If it acts like bad connection; it probably is, and that's exactly what it's acting like.

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Exactly what it was; bad connection @ the pos. + terminal end. Just got over excited for a minute...This has been a long project.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Don't beat yourself up too much. You fixed it without any parts. That is a win in my book. :D

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
been there done that :), my Ranger has been parked a lot lately and has been building up some hard corrosion on the battery posts and cables and they get the best of me sometimes... What you did to fix it was what I was gonna suggest, at least the positive cable is simple and even if it needs replacing is only like a foot long so super cheap and simple...

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Yeah, I only had to strip it back a little to expose some good wire. It's running like a champ now. I just freaked out because it was the first time I turned the new motor over and was expecting all sorts of mayhem, aggravation and disappointment. To my utter astonishment; all I had to do was set the idle screw. :D Every once in a great while; even I will get lucky! lol I started this swap/restoration in the middle of November and it's just taken up tons of time and money. It's been fun though, and I learned a bunch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals