• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Potential.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Looks like he lost control for a little bit too and still managed to stay out front.
Impressive.

FiremanBob

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
So how built is that engine? How many HP? How much boost?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i dont know that truck personally....but i have a high degree of confidence that engine is a cantankerous animal based on past experience yet drivable....likely 500 wheel hp plus. there is a similar truck that i know the actual truck that makes 640 plus wheel hp but is on a fast system and still not street friendly....but drivable...

in any case... a 10 second 4 cylinder truck is very impressive to me... i am good with 13's.....on stockish suspension. 10s ....thats some serious work driving and keeping it in line...

FiremanBob

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
Wow! Not for me. When I do the eventual rebuild on my Duratec I'd like to get it up to around 200-225 hp, possibly even without turbo, while maintaining good driveability.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Wow! Not for me. When I do the eventual rebuild on my Duratec I'd like to get it up to around 200-225 hp, possibly even without turbo, while maintaining good driveability.
It's a balance with a 4 cyl.. making good power and retaining drivabilty.. and it's a goal that's more easily attained/more realistic with some sort of forced induction. especially for a daily driver.

Without forced induction a 4 cyl needs a lot of RPMs to make good power. A lot of rpms generally need a lot of cam, and a cam that is "a lot" doesn't like putting around town at 2k rpm like a stock motor does... so you'd be losing drivability in a sense by having a motor that doesn't want to (cant) "cruise" through town below 4k.

With that many rpms come the need for much better (more expensive) parts than stock as well.. forged crank, rods, arp hardware throughout.. probably want portwork done.. would definitely want a quality balance.. it's a commitment on many levels.

FiremanBob

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
Thanks. I'd be happy to add a turbo to get what I need. We have had turbocharged Saabs for ten years now and I really like the fuel economy when you keep a light touch on the throttle.

My need for more power is more related to carrying loads and towing than for speed. I use the truck around the farm and would like to be able to tow more than the 1400 lbs that the manual says I can, for buying hay, moving compost, and such. Of course I'd add an extra-heavy duty clutch.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Thanks. I'd be happy to add a turbo to get what I need. We have had turbocharged Saabs for ten years now and I really like the fuel economy when you keep a light touch on the throttle.

My need for more power is more related to carrying loads and towing than for speed. I use the truck around the farm and would like to be able to tow more than the 1400 lbs that the manual says I can, for buying hay, moving compost, and such. Of course I'd add an extra-heavy duty clutch.
There are certain legal worries about towing/hauling more than a vehicle is rated for.. that's all up to you whether or not you want to take those risks

The other risk in your case, is the manual trans. Manuals are weaker than automatics, that's why ford rates the manual rangers the way they do. It's not the clutch.. but the gears. Only 2 or 3 teeth are engaged at any time in a manual. You'd likely be fine as long as your mindful.. but its still a consideration.

FiremanBob

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
Ouch. I didn't know the gears were the weak point. I'd hate to sell this great truck.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
There are certain legal worries about towing/hauling more than a vehicle is rated for.. that's all up to you whether or not you want to take those risks

The other risk in your case, is the manual trans. Manuals are weaker than automatics, that's why ford rates the manual rangers the way they do. It's not the clutch.. but the gears. Only 2 or 3 teeth are engaged at any time in a manual. You'd likely be fine as long as your mindful.. but its still a consideration.
I never thought of it that way.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Torque is what hurts gears, my '90 has like 300k on the trans, I've been in it twice but mainly for synchros the first time and bearings the second, changed the 5/R slider once and that was the only gear related thing that showed abnormal wear...

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I'm sure ford has some 'built in' leeway with the tow ratings they set for their manuals.. for liability and self preservation (warranty) purposes.

A guy might not want to haul DOUBLE what it's rated for... but 50% over probably wouldn't be too rough on equipment... so long as your being mindful.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals