• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Post 98 Front IFS/SLA Axle

erniech

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, I am posting from Australia so please forgive me if my questions seem a little stupid...but we don't have your Rangers down under...I own one of our own variety...but they are quite different to the US version...so here goes.

Is the pumpkin smack bang in the middle of the IFS axle?....thus not actually being an SLA (short/long axle). and.. Has this always been the case with the Ranger IFS axle?

Which year/models of the Ranger IFS axle had/have front axle disconnect?

and finally....Do the standard "off the shelf" aftermarket Dana 35 reverse cut ring/pinions fit this diff?

oh....and .....P.S. Have any of you guys ever seen a 4.30 :1 ring/pinion that will fit this diff?

Thanks heaps............Erniech

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Ok, As far as I know the diff is offset to the drivers side, I believe in 2002 they got rid of the disconnect. The IFS being low pinion I believe takes standard cut gears and lastly Im not sure of a 4.30 gear set, there may be one made for a jeep d35 that would probably fit the LP IFS D35. I do know there are no 4.30 reverse cuts for the HP TTB D35...

erniech

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Standard or Reverse?

Hi, Thanks for the info.

I know that the Explorer IFS 35 is low pinion, but runs reverse cut gears.....so I suspect that the Ranger probably would as well....any takers?

I read in The Ranger Station notes that the Ranger IFS is "centrally" located....Is it actually offset to the drivers side ....if so....how much...like a normal SLA as in the Explorer?

Also, can any one tell me whether the HP TTB 35 was made with an alloy casing?

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
The center differential section on the TTB is cast Aluminum.

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Is the pumpkin smack bang in the middle of the IFS axle?....thus not actually being an SLA (short/long axle). and.. Has this always been the case with the Ranger IFS axle?

Thanks heaps............Erniech
Your question is quite confusing. On an SLA suspension the location of the pumpkin is irrelevant. If it was on the DS or PS would not change the SLA part of the suspension in any way as the stationary part of the axle is in no way connected to the SLA except the CV shaves and they are about equal in length regardless of the location of the pig. I'm wondering if your getting the SLA IFS confused with the TTB (Twin traction beam ) IFS. Both of these have been used in the Ranger and Explorer. In both cases the Pig is located on the DS of center. On the TTB setup the DS beam is longer than the PS beam but they travel in the same ark as the PS beam is mounted rearward on the frame in comparison to the DS beam. On the Explorers the TTB was used from 91-94 and the SLA was used from 95 to present on the Ranger the TTB was used up to 98 I believe.All TTB's are high pinion and the center section is cast aluminum. I hope this makes sense and in some way answers your question . RB

erniech

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for your input Rulebreaker.

I am definitely talking about the IFS axle assembly. The reason I am asking is that I read in the tech notes on the Ranger Station that Dana 35 IFS has a centrally located differential. I know that the Explorers pumpkin is offset to the LHS (your drivers side) making it a true SLA (short /long axle) but if the pumpkin was centrally located , then each axle would be the same length.. I wish to retro fit a Dana 35 IFS in a hybrid project, so I need to know what side the pumpkin is on....but sounds like from what you have said....the Ranger pumkin is also on the LHS...the same as the Explorer.

Another thing that I need cleared up is.....does the Ranger Dana 35 IFS run standard or reverse cut gears?

Thanks again.......Erniech

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for your input Rulebreaker.

I am definitely talking about the IFS axle assembly. The reason I am asking is that I read in the tech notes on the Ranger Station that Dana 35 IFS has a centrally located differential. I know that the Explorers pumpkin is offset to the LHS (your drivers side) making it a true SLA (short /long axle) but if the pumpkin was centrally located , then each axle would be the same length.. I wish to retro fit a Dana 35 IFS in a hybrid project, so I need to know what side the pumpkin is on....but sounds like from what you have said....the Ranger pumkin is also on the LHS...the same as the Explorer.

Another thing that I need cleared up is.....does the Ranger Dana 35 IFS run standard or reverse cut gears?

Thanks again.......Erniech
Standard rotation. http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-327

kennykenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
awesome, i was looking for some of that info all night...i love this site

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Actually "SLA" doesn't refer to the axle shafts AT ALL

What that "A" in "SLA" refers to is the ARMs or "wishbones"

SLA is merely an acronym for the double wishbone front suspension.

And in point of fact the axle SHAFTS on either side are essentially the same length
even though the diff "chunk" is offset to the left because there is a "neck" on the
Right side of the diff chunk with a fixed (non articulated) shaft.

so that the "halfshafts" with CV joints at either end are the same length on both sides of the truck.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals