• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possibly a badd ground?

jewalker7842

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So the truck was running fine today. Me and the fiance just got back from the store, we go inside for around 15 minutes and we go back out to the truck since I needed to take her home. ANYWAY, I turn the key and instant power loss. NOTHING works. I popped the hood messed around with the negative battery terminal connector and power comes back on. I try to turn it over again, same thing, everything just dies. The starter does not kick in, nothing turns over. The dome light, radio, everything loses power. Now I know I have a failing camshaft syncro and that part will be in tomorrow, but that wouldn't have anything to do with the instant power loss would it? I am thinking maybe I have a bad connection on the battery? I'll mess with it tomorrow after work, but I was wanting your input on what it could possibly be. I'm thinking its a bad ground somewhere. But why would it just die?:icon_confused:

tx3nc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Check the wire from the driver's side back of the block to the firewall. It's a bare wire, probably silver in color and woven in a flat braid. It is the ground connection from the block to the frame. The battery grounds to the engine block. The engine block is isolated from the frame with rubber mounts. If that braided wire has broken or disconnected, or corroded so it's not in contact any more you won't have a complete circuit for the electrical system.

Also, remove and clean both battery terminals.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^ Good advice.

I would strongly suspect the positive cable to the starter itself has internally corroded under the insulation.

jewalker7842

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check the wire from the driver's side back of the block to the firewall. It's a bare wire, probably silver in color and woven in a flat braid. It is the ground connection from the block to the frame. The battery grounds to the engine block. The engine block is isolated from the frame with rubber mounts. If that braided wire has broken or disconnected, or corroded so it's not in contact any more you won't have a complete circuit for the electrical system.

Also, remove and clean both battery terminals.
I just put BRAND NEW battery leads on the battery a few months ago, but I'll make sure to them them off and clean them anyway. I'll definitely check those ground wires. Thanks for the advice.:icon_thumby:

^ Good advice.

I would strongly suspect the positive cable to the starter itself has internally corroded under the insulation.
I never would have thought of that one. I will check that also. I'm not very good when it comes to this electrical stuff. I know how current flows, but electrical issues have always been hard to diagnose for me.

Thanks for the advice guys. It will probably be tomorrow morning before I get to it. It's raining over here in Tn, and isn't supposed to clear up till late tonight. I'll keep y'all updated. At least I know where to start looking. Thanks!:D

jewalker7842

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I went out and messed with it a little tonight. It seems the battery leads were a little loose. All seems to be working again. Thanks for the help guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals