• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

plugs on drivers side

steve63

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i recently bought this 90 ranger,2.3,5sp,twin plug head,thinking it could use some new plugs,plug wires,my question s-how to you get to the drivers side plugs,do you have to pull the upper intake and alternator off?,or is there some other trick to it?

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
long extension-u-joint-short extension-plug socket- patience. have fun :)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
you might have to remove the alternator for #1 but it's not that hard... #2 is easy, #3 as long as you can get your hand under the intake to get the wire off you can get the plug out through the gap in the intake manifold, #4 reach behind the intake manifold and get the wire off then with the right combination of extensions to get your ratchet between the intake manifold and the wiper motor, I think a 3" and 8" extension was perfect...

muscledrifter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I-4
Transmission
Manual
on my '91 i was able to get all the plugs and wires off with simple needle nose pliers, 5/8" spark plug socket, 3" ext., 6" ext., and my long 2ft. ext. for the #3 on the driver side. since your replacing with new, you dont have to be gentle with the old wires. however, when putting the plugs back in, use a regular 5/8" socket without a rubber boot, so it doesnt get stuck on the plug and give you a headache getting it off.

Sweersa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My dad and I just did mine on my 97 Ranger. The passenger sides are fairly easy, as are the two closest to the nose on the drivers side. The two under the manifold are a different story. As posted above we used extensions for the plugs.

To get the plug wires routed properly we used welding wire to fish the plug wires through the manifold by tying the non plug end on it. It seemed like the easiest option as we both have large hands.

smoke81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3&7.3 IDI Diesel
Transmission
Automatic
just a tip , i did my 94 (bought it with 200k&seemed like they were the original plgs) i blew out those deep bitch of an area with 200psi of air then got in there with a screwdriner and scraped it then blew it out again, had to be bout 5 lbs of grease,dirt oil& compost. looked clean at 1st but once u start blindly pokin in there tons a shit are gunna fall in the cylinder . the i used an old plug wire to thread the plugs in. since u pretty much goin at it blind its all up to the feel so ya dont cross thread

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals