• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Planning a 5.0 Swap

94SPLASH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 94 Ranger Splash 3.no 4X4 that I am planing a 5.0 swap into. I have a complete 96 Explorer 5.0 2wd that I'm gonna steal the engine out of. I have a couple of questions that I cannot find definite answers to on here. I am planing on buying the wiring diagram listed in the pinned posts.

1. I'm looking for opinions on this first question. The 5.0 has 225,000 on it do you think I should go ahead and rebuild it while its out? I,m thinking I'm gonna go ahead and rebuild it.

2. If I rebuild it I'd like to do some performance upgrades to it what would you guys recommend? I don't want to spend allot I was thinking a cam an roller rockers if it doesn't already have them. ( I am new to the 5.0)

3. I want to go with a manual transmission and keep 4X4 so what are my options? I am figuring either a M5OD-R2 or a ZF. Are there any others that fit? I would like to keep it somewhat sporty so I'm figuring to ZF is out. But correct me if I'm wrong.

4. From what I've read on here I'm going to need to get the PCM flashed for the manual transmission. Is there another PCM that I could use out of a manual tranny truck that would plug in and work, or would I need the entire wiring harness out of that truck?

5. I am toying with the idea of tearing out my stock gauge cluster and replacing all the gauges with after market, do you think that would make the swap easier or harder? Would it mess up anything else like the PCM?

Those are the questions I have right now any help is greatly appreciated. I will take all the opinions I can get. Also the Explorer will be getting parted out if anyones interested.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
1. Pull a main cap or all, check for wear. Rebuild if necessary.
2. 1.7:1 Rockers and/or a cam are a common mods... thousands of options.

3. Dunno.

4. Your truck doesn't care if it's an auto ECU, but it will show a code, as the 4R70W is computer controlled. The ECU work gets rid of the code, and any asociated bugs.

5. the cluster is simple, don't waste you time. EVERYTHING in my truck dash works like stock. I added an extra oil pressure and water temp in my Explorer console.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
it was my understanding that the ZF case is gigantic and would create significant clearance problems with the tunnel....so there's another count against it. M5OD-R2 may be your best bet.

What are you doing for a transfer case?

94SPLASH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
it was my understanding that the ZF case is gigantic and would create significant clearance problems with the tunnel....so there's another count against it. M5OD-R2 may be your best bet.

What are you doing for a transfer case?
Yeah the ZF is pretty much out I just put it in there because I know that it does fit behind a 5.0.

As for transfer case I don't know yet I would probably just get a trans/transfer case out of the same F-150 or Bronco. Does anyone have any advice on that? Any particular years to look for or avoid?

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I considered the ZF for my Ranger but came to the conclusion that it is hopeless without a body lift or a custom tunnel.

Here's some M5ODR2 info from another thread:

If you do decide to go with the R2, there are a couple of things to think about.

1) The R2 4x4 trans has a six bolt flange on the extension housing and a larger output shaft that will not bolt to a Ranger t-case. A full size t-case like a BW1356, 4406 or 4407 will bolt up to the R2 but would require altered driveshaft lengths front and rear and might have clearance issues at the driver side frame rail and/or fuel tank. This F/S tranny/t-case combo should fit front to rear in a SuperCab Ranger but might be too long in a Reg Cab. You'd need to measure to be sure.

2) The 96 and earlier R2 that was used in F150/250/Bronco 4.9/5.0 has a shifter stub position that is several inches forward of where the factory Ranger shifter lives. Not ideal.

The 97~03 R2 used behind the 4.2L V6 in the F150 would have a much better shifter position in a Ranger. It also has the same bellhousing pattern as a 4.9/5.0/5.8 but the metric-sized holes need to be drilled very slightly to allow the 7/16-14 small block bolts to pass through. An easy 2 minute mod.

Last edited:

94SPLASH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
So it looks like a 97-02 tranny for me. Does any one have any input on transfer cases. I don't plan on wheeling hard in my truck so it doesnt have to be bullet proof. Of the thre just listed which ones do you guys recommend?

94SPLASH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Also will the Explorer 5.0 bolt in with the stock mounts or what do I need there? I have searched this and found many different answers. It is a 96 Explorer 5.0 swapping into a 94 Ranger Splash super cab 3.0 4X4.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I think most full size transfer cases require some clearancing of the frame rail to fit. If you can get ahold of an NP205 it's physically smaller than most, but it's an iron case instead of aluminum so it's heavy as hell. You'll want to fab up a separate crossmember just to support the case.

Otherwise, for about $500 you can get an adapter that will adapt your stock RBV case to a full size manual transmission. That's what I'm planning on doing when I do my 5.0 swap w/ AOD. Check out the 5.0 swap articles on the tech library, they list out several adapters.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also will the Explorer 5.0 bolt in with the stock mounts or what do I need there? I have searched this and found many different answers. It is a 96 Explorer 5.0 swapping into a 94 Ranger Splash super cab 3.0 4X4.
Forget that its an Explorer and think of the same mounting as a Mustang, use the convert mounts.
Dave

V8 Level II

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So it looks like a 97-02 tranny for me. Does any one have any input on transfer cases. I don't plan on wheeling hard in my truck so it doesnt have to be bullet proof. Of the thre just listed which ones do you guys recommend?
Those F/S t-cases are huge compared to the stock Ranger 1350/1354, especially the 4406 which has its own tailhousing hanging off the back. Check your dimensions, especially if your Ranger is a regular cab.

If you want a manual case, the BW4406 from the same 1997~2003 F150 will fit the 97~03 M5ODR2 perfectly and the factory manual shift linkage from the same years will bolt right up to the extension housing. The problem is that you might no longer have a port for your speedometer cable. I think that the 97~98 f150 t-case has a speed sensor port but I don't know if the gearing is compatible with your 94 Ranger cable and speedo head.

So, what if you used the 96 and earlier manual BW1356 from an F-series/Bronco with a late R2? You should be able to find one with a cable port but I'm unsure if the newer t-case shift linkage is compatible - maybe. For sure, the older linkage will not simply bolt to the newer R2 extension housing which is about 1 1/2" shorter and uses different bolt spacing.

V8 Level II

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I think most full size transfer cases require some clearancing of the frame rail to fit.
I didn't want to do any mods to the frame so I moved the entire engine/tranny/t-case about 3/8" toward the passenger side. This was accomplished be welding up the factory holes for the engine and transmission mounts and moving them over by that amount. On my 03 SuperCab, those changes gave just enough clearance from the BW4406 to the driver side frame rail to allow for movement on the mounts.

Running a F/S T-case with a small block Ford swap

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The Explorer cam specs are this: 256/266 advertised duration, lift is .422/.445 with a 116* LSA, Adding 1.7 rockers ups the lift to .445/.473. The HO cam is only a shade bigger with duration at 276/266 (or straight up 276, depends on where you find the specs) lift was .445/.445 with a 115.5 LSA.

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
The Explorer cam specs are this: 256/266 advertised duration, lift is .422/.445 with a 116* LSA, Adding 1.7 rockers ups the lift to .445/.473. The HO cam is only a shade bigger with duration at 276/266 (or straight up 276, depends on where you find the specs) lift was .445/.445 with a 115.5 LSA.
Thanks for this info again... It's the kind of thing I read often, but now that I need it, I'll store it somewhere.
(bought an Explorer 5.0 last weekend, we'll be choosing who gets what parts off it)

94SPLASH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all the info guys if I got this strait I need conversion mounts for a mustang 5.0, Go with a F-150 tranny and I'm still in the air about the t-case. Do you guys think the stock one can take the 5.0? I don't have access to a welder so moving the holes in the mounts is out. Any other idea's?

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the info guys if I got this strait I need conversion mounts for a mustang 5.0, Go with a F-150 tranny and I'm still in the air about the t-case. Do you guys think the stock one can take the 5.0? I don't have access to a welder so moving the holes in the mounts is out. Any other idea's?
No "conversion" monuts needed, just Mustang motor mounts themselves. ('87-'95 V8 work)

This pic is the "Vert mount". Found in '87-'93 Mustang covertible V8, as well as all '94/'95 GT Mustangs, and other Ford products- mine were in a '92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC.

You can see the mount-to-frame bolt is offset, so you can swap the mount from side to side if you want to change the location of your engine for some reason.
You won't need to weld the crossmember for the motor mounts, just drill a couple holes in it, possibly slot them slightly.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals