• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Picking an Subwoofer amp

irondragon013

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well boss amps have a good range of amps in the $100 and under. It would be nice to have a monoblock to simplify wiring. The power ratings don't seem bad either. Though I think I still want to get a Kicker sub. Everything I have read on them says they can take most anything you throw at them. Guess I have some more researching to do. No plans are ever set in stone.

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It only takes an extra 2" of wire to turn a bridgable 2-channel into a mono, so don't get turned away by a 2-channel. Just make sure it's bridgable if that's what you're planning to do.

Honestly, I've never heard a louder sub before for what little room it takes up. It's every bit as loud as 2x 12's and I still have most of my backseat. It's super-loud on the long rumbles and hits extremely crisp in the fast stuff. It also looks WAY cooler than pretty much any other sub too. I started with my amp gain up about halfway when I first installed the sub, and over time it just gets louder and louder as it breaks in. I've turned the gain clear down to about 1/4 on the amp.

Here's the first setup I had. Dual Rockford 12's, the 900W Anniversary amp, and Godzilla independent ported boxes.

Then those got stolen right out of a freakin' parking garage. I barely got them in taking the front seats out, so I haven't a clue how they managed to get the things out in one piece. Thankfully one amp channel was shot, the head had quit spitting CD's, and one sub cone was damaged. They really didn't get much in the steal. Replaced them with this Kicker 10" L7 Solobaric and Boss GT580 1000W amp in a sealed enclosure. Love it. And, obviously, I can put stuff in the backseat again.

Excuse the Taco Bell and random tools! :headbang:

Last edited:

irondragon013

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That set up looks nice. I would love to go with an 10in L7:drool: but I could only afford it if I got it off ebay or find a refurbished unit. the ebay ones are probably refurbished anyway. What size is your box? Looks a little shy of 1 cu.ft. The box I want to build has to be able to be cover by the pull cover in the back. Also I plan on putting it behind the divers seat or maybe I'll put it in the center. I may just put the sub off a little longer and get the L7. Is your L7 a DVC 2 or 4. Just wondering because if I get the L7 then I will probably go with the same amp you have. I'll do a draw up of a box that fits the Kicker specs for a sealed box. Should leave a lot of space in the back.

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The sub is the 2-ohm DVC, wired in series to get 4ohms to match the amp. The box I got from SonicElectronix - it was $30 shipped and everything. It's like .88cu I'm pretty sure. I'll be moving mine over behind the driver's seat so that I can put the passenger jumpseat back in the back. The sub is DEFINITELY worth the money. I love it to death.

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Honestly, I've never heard a louder sub before for what little room it takes up. It's every bit as loud as 2x 12's and I still have most of my backseat. It's super-loud on the long rumbles and hits extremely crisp in the fast stuff. It also looks WAY cooler than pretty much any other sub too. I started with my amp gain up about halfway when I first installed the sub, and over time it just gets louder and louder as it breaks in. I've turned the gain clear down to about 1/4 on the amp.
sounds like you dont know how to properly set the gain. you dont just turn it up and down like a volume knob. youre supposed to set it so it matches the voltage coming from your deck. ill give you an example. here are my amp specs:
4x65@4ohms
4x100@2ohms
2x150@4ohms

on my front channels im running a component set at 2 ohms. thats 100 watts a channel. now id multiply 100(watts) by 2(ohms) which gives me 200. then you find the squareroot of 200 which is 14.14. 14.14 is the voltage i need to set the gains for those channels. that may be why youve had problems with rf amps. here a page where you can read up:

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27819&highlight=tutorial

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
sounds like you dont know how to properly set the gain. you dont just turn it up and down like a volume knob. youre supposed to set it so it matches the voltage coming from your deck. ill give you an example. here are my amp specs:
4x65@4ohms
4x100@2ohms
2x150@4ohms

on my front channels im running a component set at 2 ohms. thats 100 watts a channel. now id multiply 100(watts) by 2(ohms) which gives me 200. then you find the squareroot of 200 which is 14.14. 14.14 is the voltage i need to set the gains for those channels. that may be why youve had problems with rf amps. here a page where you can read up:

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27819&highlight=tutorial
As is how I started. But when the sub was far louder than the rest of the speaker output and all I could hear was huge bass, I turned it down.

irondragon013

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here is the list of the set up I think I will go with:

Head unit:
Pioneer DEH-2000MP
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10753_Pioneer+DEH-2000MP.html
Plan on dumping most of my mp3's on 1 or 2 cds

Speakers:
Pioneer TS-A6871R 6x8
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6621_Pioneer+TS-A6871R.html

Sub:
Kicker Solo-Baric L5 10" 2ohm DVC:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6504_--+SPECIAL+--+Kicker+06S10L52+Solo-Baric+L5+Series.html
I decided I don't need all the power the L7 has.

Amp:
Boss CX1100M:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11591_Boss+CX1100M.html
There may be other amp options but this seems to fit best.

All in all it will cost me around $450 with the shipping costs. The HU and speakers first and then I'll get the sub and amp.

Thanks for all the help,
Steven

irondragon013

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I thought of a couple more questions came up and I can't find the answers when I look for them.

Do I need a capacitor?

I think I will need a new battery at least. Which one should I get?

What gauge wire should I use for the amp to sub connection?
I was thinking 12 gauge.

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
nope, dont need a capacitor. your stock battery should be fine also. ive seen systems with about 1500 watts on their stock batteries. no need to fix a problem that hasnt arrised yet. if you even do have a problem id go for the big 3 first, then a new battery and followed by a HO alternator. but i seriously doubt youll have a problem.

im not very familiar with boss amps, so im not sure if theyll put out their rated power. if it does put out 500 watts id go for a 4awg kit. if you know for a fact it wont put out more than 400 then you can get away with an 8awg. 10 and 12awg is just way too small.

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Those pioneer speakers will be fine. don't expect any bass out them though. for the best sound out of those speakers, put them on their own amp.

irondragon013

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Those pioneer speakers will be fine. don't expect any bass out them though. for the best sound out of those speakers, put them on their own amp.
Well the whole reason for the sub is to make bass. Though I might amp them latter. I realize now that I want the bass that a sub puts out. I am tempted to try this box to assist in the bass production:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7500_Sonic+Sub+Box-+1SVK10.html

It will maximize the room behind the driver's seat and if I mount it right I should be able to have the amp on the floor under it. I plan on raising it up to level of that shelf or whatever it is in the back. Does anybody know why that is there anyways?

I kind of want to see how it compares to my friend's Dual Audio 1100w Bandpass.

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if your gonna go with that slot ported box make sure your amp has a subsonic filter or run an inline ssf between the amp and the sub

irondragon013

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well scratch the ported box. I redid the measurements and it won't fit. I think I'll just stick to building my own sealed box. I have a few different ideas and need to decide what will work and look best. The problem is is that I keep coming up with other designs and how they will mount. Also I am going with the dual 4 ohm voice coil wired in parallel so I can get the amp into its 2 ohm power range. On another note I have been beating the snot out of the sony explode stock location speakers with Bass Mechanic Cds. Man I think I may go deaf before those speakers go out. Not bad for 2 6.5s and 2 6x9s. I may say the looks I get are classic though I turn it down at stop lights. A beat up 89 accord bumping lol. Still the trans in the truck is taking longer then expected. I cant wait to start getting the old(is 93 considered old now?) farm truck into shape.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals