• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Papaw's BII

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Update time....

After all this time, I finally have the trans behaving nicely. The TCC locks at 46-47 mph and really makes a difference on the way this rig behaves.

I can do 70 mph on the freeway now!

Also, the tuning adjustments I made including the valve adjustments really woke this little 2.8 up. Is it a 5.0? No, but it does nicely with stockish size tires.

I'm going to drive for a little while longer, then I'm pulling it into the garage for paint and body work.

Hope to have this rig finished up by the end of summer.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well.... I missed the end of summer prediction, but I have made some progress since the fall!

Plan to get the final paint on the Bronco this weekend, then I'm going to start reinstalling parts and fixing minor things as I can.

This will not be a show car, but it will look much better and hopefully I have any surface rust at bay.

I ordered a hitch for the Bronco today. With the bumper off, figured it was the best time to install one. This will never pull more than my utility trailer with my mower or on a trip to Lowe's, but it will be nice to have besides always having to use the F150.

The plans left are:

1) Paint
2) Install new windshield
3) Install bigger trans cooler
4) Install Hitch and Trailer Wiring
5) Install all bumpers (polish bumpers best I can) and tire carrier back (after a little painting on the carrier)
6) Install new exterior parts (grille, emblems, etc.)
7) Swap Interior with new one I bought a couple of years back (including dying the original door panels, won't cost much and is worth a shot)
8) Finish and install headliner
9) Polish new wheels and install new tires
10) New Exhaust
11) Fix Valve Cover and Trans Pan Leaks
12) Fix AC (send @RobbieD his AC flush gun back....)

I'm sure I'm missing something along the way, but I'll keep chipping away.

I'll start driving it again soon after I get most of the parts installed again.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
You're doing really good on it. Don't get in too much of a hurry, and we're looking forward to the next update.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, it's painted. Needs some color sanding and polishing. I'll work on that in the next few days.

Scheduled new windshield to get out in on Tuesday. I'm excited about that. Will make it feel like a new truck from the inside. Lol

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1) Paint ✅
2) Install new windshield ✅
2a) New passenger side rear quarter window
3) Install bigger trans cooler ✅
4) Install Hitch and Trailer Wiring (have to redo the exhaust for this one, current exhaust is in the way)
5) Install all bumpers (polish bumpers best I can) and tire carrier back (after a little painting on the carrier) -- installed not polished yet
6) Install new exterior parts (grille, emblems, etc.) ✅ (Minus V6 emblems, have a set on the way)
7) Swap Interior with new one I bought a couple of years back (including dying the original door panels, won't cost much and is worth a shot) ✅
8) Finish and install headliner ✅
9) Polish new wheels and install new tires
10) New Exhaust

Making progress. AC will be on the block soon. I might have an opportunity to charge up the system with R-12 like it was originally. Too many details to type but one of my friends services AC machines at shops and has some R-12 lying around.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
R-134a is an easy conversion - if you KNOW it's not gonna leak, you could put R12 in it I guess... I'd just convert it if you're replacing any components. Or replace everything 😶

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Man, you're doing a great job with this truck. Especially going back and looking at what you started with.

Making progress. AC will be on the block soon. I might have an opportunity to charge up the system with R-12 like it was originally. Too many details to type but one of my friends services AC machines at shops and has some R-12 lying around.
R-134a is an easy conversion - if you KNOW it's not gonna leak, you could put R12 in it I guess... I'd just convert it if you're replacing any components. Or replace everything
I really have to agree. It could get expensive to chase a slow leak if you're to keep R12.

If it were me, on a failed system that old, I'd look at replacing everything, with the possible exception of the evaporator core in the dash. If you're buying new parts, it makes sense (and likely it's even easier) to buy R134a compatible parts. New parts = no concern over the lubricating oil incompatibility for the two refrigerants. And it gives you the opportunity to upgrade to a more efficient condenser to work with the R134a better (that's something the factory did when 134a was phased in).

Just some thoughts from the peanut gallery to consider; and not meaning to throw a wrench at your monkey. :)

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
R-134a is an easy conversion - if you KNOW it's not gonna leak, you could put R12 in it I guess... I'd just convert it if you're replacing any components. Or replace everything 😶
Man, you're doing a great job with this truck. Especially going back and looking at what you started with.

I really have to agree. It could get expensive to chase a slow leak if you're to keep R12.

If it were me, on a failed system that old, I'd look at replacing everything, with the possible exception of the evaporator core in the dash. If you're buying new parts, it makes sense (and likely it's even easier) to buy R134a compatible parts. New parts = no concern over the lubricating oil incompatibility for the two refrigerants. And it gives you the opportunity to upgrade to a more efficient condenser to work with the R134a better (that's something the factory did when 134a was phased in).

Just some thoughts from the peanut gallery to consider; and not meaning to throw a wrench at your monkey. :)
No wrenches here, I can get the R12 for next to nothing from my understanding (they want to get rid of it....)

Still weighing options. I couldn't find a new condenser coil last time I looked. I think I'm going to reuse my hoses.

I will be flushing the system I have.

These guys know AC so I'll lean on them for info.

I'll keep working on it.

Wheels and tires will most likely be next.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1) Paint ✅
2) Install new windshield ✅
2a) New passenger side rear quarter window ✅
3) Install bigger trans cooler ✅
4) Install Hitch and Trailer Wiring (have to redo the exhaust for this one, current exhaust is in the way)
5) Install all bumpers (polish bumpers best I can) and tire carrier back (after a little painting on the carrier) -- installed not polished yet ✅
6) Install new exterior parts (grille, emblems, etc.) ✅ (Minus V6 emblems, have a set on the way)
7) Swap Interior with new one I bought a couple of years back (including dying the original door panels, won't cost much and is worth a shot) ✅
8) Finish and install headliner ✅
9) Polish new wheels and install new tires ✅
10) New Exhaust

AC parts are all here, I'll probably tear into that this week.

Still polishing paint as I go. It is tedious work on the DA, so I break it up with other task.

A picture from this weekend. Luckily I found the trim that flew off the windshield in a pull a part.

Coming along, I put about 75 miles on it this weekend shaking out the bugs from sitting for 11 months.

Attachments

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Really looking good! You've brought that truck a long way.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Added something tonight that I can't hardly drive a vehicle without anymore..... Bluetooth!

I bought this Isimple kit from Amazon a while back.

iSimple Hands-Free Calling and Music Streaming Kit with Control Button for Smartphones - Frustration-Free Packaging - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRU5UNA/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_6MVASAM8VZT9NJQ25SWV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I don't remember it being $90...., but it works great and I retain my stock radio and premium sound system. Easy to do a clean install and I like that it blocks FM signal so no interference like the cheaper FM transmitters.

Next on the block is AC.

Attachments

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So, time to make another punch list.

1) Replace shocks (have some Gabriels I bought on Rock Auto for stupid cheap)
2) Change fluids in front & rear diffs & transfer case
3) Check/replace vent lines, pretty sure the one from the TC rotted off
4) Replace Battery Tray
5) Tint Windows
6) Check/replace any front end suspension components that need it (tie rods, ball joints, etc.)
7) New Exhaust (not sure what muffler yet)
8) Install Hitch and Trailer Wiring
9) Check valve covers and trans pan for leaks
10) Install kickdown linkage for trans

I think that covers about everything. Driving it with AC now, never had that experience before!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Looks great! Good work man. Fewer and fewer of these are on the roads these days. Nice to see another one looking shiny and new

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
B2 is looking good, that oughta fetch ya close to what it cost new right now the way vehicle prices are going. I think they were about $14-16k MSRP when they were new. Try getting one of those new Broncos for that LOL

My 88 B2 needs painted, but it would cost more than its worth in reality, I've already spent way too much on it with the engine replacement and transmission rebuild. Everything else is still 30+ years old LOL...paint is pretty faded and getting pretty thin on the roof, as I notice bare spots I just hit them with some Rustoleum red paint from the hardware store, nothing more than that and after a couple months in the sun the Rustoleum blends right into the already faded paint HAHA!!!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Decided to install a radiator upgrade to the double core since my stock original single core must have had a sediment and rust in the bottom of it. I noticed my temp gage creeping up at stop lights and stop and go traffic with the AC on.

It definitely couldn't hurt. I noticed it put the fan deeper into the shroud where it actually covers it, that should help pull air better as well.

Didn't get a picture of it installed tonight because it was dark.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals