• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Overheating!!!!

88rangerxltkc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, this is probably my stupidity but i need some input. I put a 3in. body lift on my truck and to make the fan clear i had to cut the fan shroud. The fan is now lower than the shroud and isn't cooling like it should. Its getting way too hot and throwing a little coolant in the resivor. if there is a good way to fix this please tell me. i miss driving my truck and i just got it running after a rollover.

"Been through the mud, Been on it's side, This is a RANGER it will not DIE!!!"

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hmmm

Ok, this is probably my stupidity but i need some input. I put a 3in. body lift on my truck and to make the fan clear i had to cut the fan shroud. The fan is now lower than the shroud and isn't cooling like it should. Its getting way too hot and throwing a little coolant in the resivor. if there is a good way to fix this please tell me. i miss driving my truck and i just got it running after a rollover.

"Been through the mud, Been on it's side, This is a RANGER it will not DIE!!!"
Ok lets get down and dirty. 3 inches lift should still be fine to make the coolant system work.
HOW hot? How far have you driven it?
A little coolant is supposed to flow back into the tank as the engine heats up and the coolant grows in volume.. That's normal.
Drive it and if it PUKES it is too hot.
Until it does, indeed, PUKE it isn't too hot!
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I think an electric fan would be the easiest. All my Ranger ever had was half a fan shroud at the top and indicated "Not equipped for A/C" (mine was non-ac from the factory). w/ my 5.0L I run a 4.0L radiator (easy swap in a Gen-I) and 4.0L full shroud, sounds more like the shroud you have.

Alternative would be to mod the core support, so you can lower the radiator down. There's two holes behind the bumper right under the core support - good spot for a piece of angle iron or weapon of your choice and may be able to make something work, but you'd just have to measure.

Be careful with those heads :annoyed:

Last edited:

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Make or modify the shroud to work. If it surrounds the fan and seals well to the radiator it should work the same as stock. Most cars and trucks have what looks like a mini air dam or spoiler located under the radiator, this keeps the hot air from the back of the radiator from circulating back around to the front. I made one for my dads motor home out of scrap sheet metal,it is about 1'x3' and helped alot to keep it cool. Of course on a Ranger it doesn't need to be that big.

Last edited:

Warren 86 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
i dont have a fan shrowd on my ranger and it cools just fine i never overheat

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals