• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Old School Steel w/ Dog Dish Caps

RickSTL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2009 XL 2wd currently running OEM spoked steel wheels. I have picked up some new 15x6 with 4.5 lug pattern. These would have fit an early 70 Fairlane or Torino. I have checked fit and clearance and they fit the center hub and clear the caliper.

I also have acquired 56 F-100 stainless dog dish hub caps that fit the Fairlane wheels. I want to put the old style package on my truck when I buy new 225-70 15 tires in the fall.

My question is can I reuse my TPMS sensors on the new wheels? Are the stock 09 sensors band mount or are they valve stem mount?

If anyone has done this wheel swap to their trucks I would appreciate and constructive advise and wisdom

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I believe they are the band style on a Ranger, Yes you can re-use them, BUT

Shop will probably charge you $15 each to break down old tire to get them out, you'll need new bands at about $15 each.

Now you're $30 each into re-using your 14 year old sensors whose batteries are probably about dead, now you're at $120

You can get new valve stem sensors to fit for about $150-$180 for all 4

RickSTL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
I believe they are the band style on a Ranger, Yes you can re-use them, BUT

Shop will probably charge you $15 each to break down old tire to get them out, you'll need new bands at about $15 each.

Now you're $30 each into re-using your 14 year old sensors whose batteries are probably about dead, now you're at $120

You can get new valve stem sensors to fit for about $150-$180 for all 4
Thank you for your insight. I appreciate it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The Rangers did use the band mounted style sensors but valve stem mounted ones work as well.

Each time the tires are replaced, you should get new sensors since it is such a crap shoot as to how long a set of sensors will work. I think it’s better to just eat the sensor cost while the tires are broken down than pay an extra service fee later because the batteries died.

RickSTL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
The Rangers did use the band mounted style sensors but valve stem mounted ones work as well.

Each time the tires are replaced, you should get new sensors since it is such a crap shoot as to how long a set of sensors will work. I think it’s better to just eat the sensor cost while the tires are broken down than pay an extra service fee later because the batteries died.
Thank your your comments, what you say is very reasonable. I will proceed with new stem mounted sensors. Thank you too for your service to our country.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals