• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ok so what's the trick?

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Trying to put my M5OD back into the Bronco II, can't seem to find the magic trick it takes to get the bellhousing over the exhaust. I've taken it out (twice actually) and am trying to do it in reverse but it's just not working. The bellhousing is hitting the tunnel at the top and it's not even close to getting over the crossover pipe, especially on the right side.

I've been wrestling around with it for an hour and have accomplished nothing other than finding new and interesting ways to combine four letter words.

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Loosen body mount bolts, and jack the passengers side up only.Doing this will give it about 2 extra inches of room, between the seem and bellhousing which is plenty. Or it takes some force to bend the offending flange over...

thats the trick, i just did this yesterday... but becareful if those bolts are rusty...

ati190

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
ugh, I was really hoping that wasn't going to be the answer I got. I've considered this and they're rusty enough that I might as well buy a body lift 'cause I'm gonna need to buy new bolts anyway.

Not to mention I don't have an air compressor to power my impact wrench.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm to a point where I feel like everything I could do to make this easier is just going to open up a can of worms. One is the body lift idea, the other is trying to remove the y-pipe. I already tried the y-pipe, the bolts are rusted solid so I'll either end up snapping at least one and still not be able to get it off, or I'll saw it off and have to pay a muffler shop to weld it back together.

I was hoping to have this thing running some time this week, and the body mount of y-pipe options will set me back by a week or more if I have to go that route. My wife and I are sharing a car right now and it's a huge PITA.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Take a sawzal and cut slots into the seem where the firewall and floor pan meet. Fold it over with a BFH and you will be able to get it back in with much less effort.

pimtool

OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Take a sawzal and cut slots into the seem where the firewall and floor pan meet. Fold it over with a BFH and you will be able to get it back in with much less effort.
Yup, this is the trick. It worked for me.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
ok I'll try that. I'll have to get to it first...I've got the transmission supported in a complex arrangement of crossmember, motorcycle jack, and a ratchet strap. It's almost funny. But not quite.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ive found over the years pf repairing my crappy hondas (ive had many) its best bust the bolt on the exhaust at a location where you can fix it then have it bust where you can't.

I can't name the number of bolts ive snapped off over the years. Its a gift. even good looking bolts like to snap on me. I have even snapped off a pressure plate bolt off my mustang Well below its torque specs. it was a pita to get the rest of the bolt out. the clutch change that was taking me 2 hours. took 8 hours.

My favorite bolt recently was the seat bolt on the ranger the one on the drivers side holding the seat upright. Its gotta be 1/2 of a inch thick and it just snapped on me on regular roads. Eventful getting the truck stopped after the seat fell backwards while I was doing 60.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
yep, sounds like my luck. So far I've only broken two bolts on this truck, and they were the rearward bolts holding the back seat bracket down to the floor.

The rest I've only avoided because I've been very selective in what bolts I will and will not attempt to take off. Leaving the exhaust on was a decision I made before pulling the tranny, knowing full well that if I try, I will soon wish I hadn't.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Do as mentioned above. I took mine out and put it back in without so much as putting a wrench on a body mount or exhaust flange.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
On a Bronco2 it might very well be easier to drop the radius arm brackets.

this will allow the Y-pipe to drop further.

AD

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
On a Bronco2 it might very well be easier to drop the radius arm brackets.

this will allow the Y-pipe to drop further.

AD
good point.

I went at that body flange cutting a few slits in it last night, but I don't have a BFH that's FB enough to bend it over sufficiently, so I'm gonna pick one up today and give it a whack this evening. If that doesn't work I'll work on the radius arm brackets. Those don't appear to be a severe rust problem, because the engine's been leaking so much oil on them that they're impervious to water.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
got it! Hammering down that body flange did the trick. Thanks a million dudes.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
usually on the ground i just smash the tail up to the floor and twist it in, thats with the engine lowered back to where it is sitting some weight on the exaust, but you have to have it on your chest to do it that way easily, i hold the back up with my knee and do the front with my arms..

if i am not in the mood for that, you did the alternative....but i am too lazy to cut and hammer usually, but age is changing that.:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals