• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil pressure gauge install

jlkuehl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
Installing an oil pressure gauge is a pretty straight-forward thing, but where to install is the hard part. Since my 92 isn't 4 wheel drive, I removed the panel next to the center dash vent, and installed it there. I'm pretty satisfied with it, and I have room to put a switch to control whatever accessory is next on my list!

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Please tell me that the gauge is either an electric sender version, or that you've used an isolator on the line if not. I've seen the plastic lines fail, gauges fail, and fittings fail, and all they do is pump hot oil inside the cab and possibly on the driver or passenger.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
agreed cheaping out on the 1 gauge that monitors the most vital thing, will put your engine in jepardy too because if that plastic line fails you will have an open oil gallery that will instantly drop your oil pressure. in the past when i went with a mechanical gauge i had a braided hose made that threaded to the back of the gauge and into the engine, i think it cost me like $20 at the local hose shop

jlkuehl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
Right now, I am using the cheap plastic line that came with the gauge, but a braided stainless one is in the very near future. Good thought on the isolator, both would be cheap insurance.

However.....After installing this gauge, I have decided that it would be a neat idea to build my own gauge cluster, and it may be all electric.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
A friend was telling me that one of the gauge companies makes copper lines for these to replace the plastic ones, may be another option

jlkuehl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
Copper is prone to work hardening, and is a poor choice (even though it is a popular one) for gauge lines. Many will say it's fine, but I've seen way too many capillary tubes like these tear like paper after all the flexing the engine causes it to do. The great part of my set-up is that everything is easy to get to and route, so fishing the replacement line through will be absolutely no problem. Won't even require removing the dash :D

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
i built my dash out of srinkle finish abs plastic. it would look good on your dash

jlkuehl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
I bet it would look real nice! What thickness did you use?

For this simple panel, I used some shipping cover material we get at work, about 1/4 inch thick...I believe it is HDPE, but I'm not real sure on that. It works easy enough, but I think it's way too thick for a gauge panel install, and it scratches very easy. Looking at this picture, it looks like I need to give the trucks interior a bath! (I can't wait to get rid of that radio in it either, it still sounds good and everything works on it, but the face is broken and keeps falling off!)

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
i used .050", *crinkle finish (not srinkle) abs plastic

jlkuehl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
.050? I was looking at some earlier today, and was thinking .125 thick. I know that it's not something really subject to flexing, but still, I would think it may need to be reinforced. I may pick up some .050 and give it a try, I may need to re-think my whole strategy on this one.

I like my exploder cluster I swapped in, but wish the gauges were arranged differently. Temp/Volts on one side of the tach/speedo, and fuel/oil press on the other side would be my preference.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals