• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oil pan heater question.

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Its getting cold here way to fast and temps are gonna drop down to single digits so I bought a magnetic oil pan heater that gets up to 250 degrees in a hope to keep the cold from taking life from my truck. My questions are have any of you used these, how safe are they, and do they actually help cold starts? I made sure the pan was clean of debris and any fluid. Any info would be great thanks everyone.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think you'll find the heater will burn the oil right over the heater and not do much for the oil in the rest of the pan. Better off to use synthetic oil with lower winter grade number. I use 0w-30, or you can use the 0w-20.

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Damn, so you don't think it will warm the oil at all huh? I already use synthetic oil but it never gets this cold this early so its still my summer weight oil and I have a leak at the rear main so im afraid of it leaking worse. I guess I could knock it down to 5-20 or something like that thanks much for the reply.

satan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It'll help only the oil in the pan... and at 250*F it can help to release the moisture from the oil in the pan up into your c-case on it's way to the PVC and other vapor scavenging.

Doesn't do much for the top of the block (like the cam/lifters/rockers), but is should allow the pump to draw in warmed oil which should help with lubirication once the thick stuff is outta the way.

Pan heaters are NOT my favorites, but sometimes anything is better than nothing.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
We use a frost plug heater or the in-line type. Frost plug is better but a harder install according to what engine, in line you just put it in line on your heater core hose and your done. We have to do -60 starts and they work great! You should be able to get them at any parts store usually made by Katz or Zerostart. Get a timer too so it comes on an hour before work and you will be lovin life with almost instant heat when you start your rig.:icon_thumby:

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
I would love a block heater I just don't have enough time to install one im looking at -4 tonight and need to be gone by 6:30 am to work, I just need something to help the first early morning start-up when its balls cold outside. Wife gets the garage of course poor truck sits outside in the wind and cold. Warm oil is better that nothing the faster it gets to the top end the better is what I figured.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would love a block heater I just don't have enough time to install one im looking at -4 tonight and need to be gone by 6:30 am to work, I just need something to help the first early morning start-up when its balls cold outside. Wife gets the garage of course poor truck sits outside in the wind and cold. Warm oil is better that nothing the faster it gets to the top end the better is what I figured.
Yep use what you have for now, maby when you get time you can install the other and be good to go.:icon_thumby:

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
We use a frost plug heater or the in-line type.
As a former Alaska resident I'll second the block heater as the best type. However I tried the lower rad hose in-line one once and never had it do anything except warm the ambient air. Too much heat loss to the rad and not enough heat in the engine. It takes incredible btu's to get(keep) all that metal in the engine warm. I'd opt for a little more leakage out the seal and better start-ups with synthetic low winter grade oil.

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Well I dropped down to synthetic 5-30 and left the heater on it through the night and at 5 above zero it cranked over and started really easy about the same as 20 degrees without any heat. Tonight will be the true test though they are talking between 5 and 12 below 0 warm oil is definetly working good though there was no top end noise like usuall on such a cold start. Worth it for right now then im gonna get a block heater, I always say im gonna do it during the summer but I never get around to it then it bites me on ass during the winter. Thanks for all the replies everyone happy holidays:)

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As a former Alaska resident I'll second the block heater as the best type. However I tried the lower rad hose in-line one once and never had it do anything except warm the ambient air. Too much heat loss to the rad and not enough heat in the engine. It takes incredible btu's to get(keep) all that metal in the engine warm. I'd opt for a little more leakage out the seal and better start-ups with synthetic low winter grade oil.
You are correct! The lower radiator hose ones suck, they warm up more whats in the radiator than the block and the thermostat dis-allows thermal migration. The inline in the heater core circuit are lots better and of course frost plug ultimate. Hope he can do a frost plug type soon and end his grief.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals