• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oil pan debris

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hi all. i am rebuilding my 2.0 and found some strange pieces of metal in the oil pan. not sure, but i believe previous owner had one hydraulic lifter go bad. i pulled the valve cover and found one new lifter and one new rocker with few miles on them, and the original exhaust valve under the replaced lifter/rocker, with the end peened over something awful. rebuilt the top end since then so none of that is of concern. old oil pump had some nasty looking scratches, but whatever got into it wasnt bad enough to break the drive shaft. found these pieces in the pan, look like they were a complete ring at one point with an O.D. something close to a penny. it is driving me crazy trying to figure out what these pieces are and where they came from. doesnt look like part of a lifter. only guesses i have now are part of a pressure relief on the old oil pump or something out of the bottom of the distributor. I will have the distributor out tomorrow, hopefully that tells me something useful. i got the best pictures i could, i was hoping someone here may recognize them or know where they may have come from. sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.

Attachments

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thats what it looks like to me also,either the ring that holds the oil pressure spring in or it is a top ring that goes in the top of the pump

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I've had the distributor out and there is nothing on the bottom of it but a gear...probably something from the oil pump...or a sensor that has been replaced at some point...

At least you found a penny for your thoughts...

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
At least you found a penny for your thoughts...
:icon_rofl: now that's funny. penny was not in the oil pan- that would have worried me a little, though not necessarily surprised me after seeing some of the things the previous owner did. well, 4b316 and mark88, thanks for your input and i feel a little better now. maybe i will not bother with pulling the distributor, especially since i know the timing is close enough to fire up and break the new cam in. oil pump has been replaced and i cut the oil filter open, did not find anything too ugly. wish me luck and thanks again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals