• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil changes

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Not at all; your springs are starting to get weak.

The ratchet knew it needed oiling.

Time for a new coat anyway, right? Now you have a good excuse to buy one.

Confirmed that the tire's inflation is good. And, as long as you can still pick your nose, no harm, no foul.

The tailight was probably already broken, and you would have never known about it if the wrench didn't land close by.

Vent away. I've had plenty of "those days", too. Cussing at it does help (a lot!), and beyond that, all you can really do is laugh about it once you've gotten it all done.

Hang tough!
I enjoy your positive spin on things

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I've started being one of those people who dealer-services the daily since I bought the '21. 70$ for oil, a tire rotation, washer fill, and general inspection, can't beat it. I also accrue ford points for the services throughout the year.. so the next time I go in it'll be free.. and I'm relatively sure they'll even come pick it up and then drop it off when theyre done.
If i rolled rusty into a ford dealer they wouldnt let it leave :ROFLMAO:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I always hand-tighten the filter moderately tight. Rarely have I needed to use a filter wrench on it (sometimes it takes a little effort to get off by hand, but after a couple seconds it usually lets go).

I do my own oil changes because "quick-change" shops hire too much incompetent labor too often (even new-car dealerships are known to screw up a simple oil change on occasion). Nowadays who knows if a quick change place would even know what weight oil to put into a 33-year old truck (I can't see 0W-16 or even 0W-20 doing much good for a 2.9L).

One thing I hate though is the dumbass sideways drain plug on the 2.9L oil pan... WTF Ford!? I have to find an old piece of cardboard or something to direct the oil downward into the drain pan so it doesn't spew all over the passenger side radius arm, tire, and ground.
I agree about quick lube shops, we used to make a lot of money fixing stuff Jiffy Lube had "serviced". A former tech managed at Jiffy Lube for a short while and brought his cars to us for transmission services because Jiffy Lube had one ATF and dumped additives in it that were supposed to be brand specific, at the time we had 8 ATFs for Fords only.
The drain plug location probably worked good in the European car the engine was designed to fit, the Crown Vic police oil pan on the 351 in my Ranger has a drain plug in the front sump that points right at the tierod so I made a deflector for oil changes.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I actually gave up on farming out oil changes after midas of all places put a filter on my 460 that supposdly cross refrenced to the FL1A but was way smaller (like small enough it would fit inside an FL1A if you gutted it)...3/4 of the way through that change my mains started knocking on an 80,000 mile engine.

Rather that caused it or not i dont know...but im not giving it the benifit of the doubt.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I just did the IDI a few weeks ago and had a similar experience. The filter is like 5 degrees off vertical and huge (same filter as a 7.3 PSD), so taking it off is a balance act while trying to lower it to the drain pan and so it can be tipped and drained. It slipped and fell out of my hand, hit the drain pan and splashed nasty black diesel oil everywhere. Then fell on its side on the driveway and rolled away, puking oil the whole way. Then I found I had no floor dry so had to run and get that. Now there's a huge black splotch on the driveway, with a drain pan shaped clean spot.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Why is something so simple such a pain in the ass?
Get pissed...lob filter wrench across barn...of course it wacks my quad and cracks the taillight.
Just needed to rant....and ask why do we do this to ourselves? Why not pay the guy at the quick change a measly 10 bucks over what we paid for this overpriced oil and filter to avoid the headache?

F it.
First of all, thanks for the good laugh.
I have a temper problem and have been known to toss a few things without regard to where those projectiles may land.
I have learned over the years to examine what it is that I am about to toss and measure it against the value of where it might land and the value of what it might destroy. Usually, by that time I have calmed down enough to not throw it.

If I haven't calmed down enough, I pick a less valuable target.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Your truck hates you because you bought it with a 2.9. The answer is to swap in a 3.0. Then your truck will love you and won't make oil changes such a fight.
So you’re saying you like to burn your hands on the exhaust manifold? Sweet…

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
This is part of why I’ve gone to Motorcraft filters and the cup style filter wrench…

But I’ve had those days, chin up…

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’ve seen too many of other people’s vehicles get screwed up by fast oil change places.

Last I saw, oil changes for synthetic oil is somewhere around $70. I can change my own for $40.

I have vehicle ramps so having enough room to work isn’t problem. Not as nice as a lift but better than working with the trucks flat on the ground.

Not to say have I haven’t had my share of tool throwing moments. The last one I remember was changing the left catalytic converter on the 2011 and dealing snapped bolts on the exhaust manifold.

In any case, while it can be frustrating, doing your own work lets you know what was done and how. Hopefully right but that may be another story.

Another down side of letting someone else work on your vehicle is they love over tightening everything with an air gun. Especially the lug nuts. Real handy when you have a flat, on the side of the road, either in the rain or in salt laden wet snow.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Who says oil change with a 3.0L is easy? Yes, easy to drain the crankcase but the oil filter is a pain. The only way I see to change the oil filter in my 2002 Ranger is with a long ratchet extension and a flex socket connector to the near worthless plastic oil filter tool reaching through the fender well. Then I still have to reach around the left front tire to extract and reinstall oil filters.

I was thinking a 45 degree angled oil filter mount adapter would help but there is just no room for it, at least not with the Ford adapter.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I’ve seen too many of other people’s vehicles get screwed up by fast oil change places.

Last I saw, oil changes for synthetic oil is somewhere around $70. I can change my own for $40.

I have vehicle ramps so having enough room to work isn’t problem. Not as nice as a lift but better than working with the trucks flat on the ground.

Not to say have I haven’t had my share of tool throwing moments. The last one I remember was changing the left catalytic converter on the 2011 and dealing snapped bolts on the exhaust manifold.

In any case, while it can be frustrating, doing your own work lets you know what was done and how. Hopefully right but that may be another story.

Another down side of letting someone else work on your vehicle is they love over tightening everything with an air gun. Especially the lug nuts. Real handy when you have a flat, on the side of the road, either in the rain or in salt laden wet snow.
Totally Amen SGT, Some of the very reasons for my motto here

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Welcome to the 2.8L and 2.9L V6 world LOL. After 20+ years of dealing with RBV's the oil/filter change isn't so bad anymore, but the oil filter location has got to be about the dumbest, obviously the engineers never have done an oil/filter change in their whole life to realize its a PITA to get to a filter between the exhaust and frame rail...getting to the drain plug in the oil pan is simple, getting something on the filter to loosen it up not so much.

Although, I have to give dumbest idea of fluid checking to Ford once again with my 08 Explorer which has a dipstick for the transmission, but you have to crawl under a running vehicle receive 2nd and 3rd degree burns from the exhaust and catalytic converter to access the dipstick which is about 2 inches away from said exhaust....would it have broke Ford to just put a regular dipstick in the dang thing, I mean come on my 2005 Ford Taurus has a dipstick for pete sakes. You'd think a higher end SUV would have been better thought out LOL.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I remember getting pissed at my first car, 1979 amc concord. I threw a wrench at it and I dont know how but it went clear through the windshield. I opened the door afterwards and picked it up off of the back seat. Good thing was that I found one at a local junkyard for $25. You’d play hell to find a’79 amc windshield now. This was about 1987.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals