• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OHV vs SOHC?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, the newer Rangers are not that much heavier. There is no tag on the truck that indicates its curb weight--full fluids but no people or cargo. The tag indicated gross weight--maximum loaded weight.

2007 4x4 XLT ext cab= 3,672# curb with a GVWR of 5,000#

1993 4X4 XLT ext cab= 3,516# curb with a GVWR of 4,840#

And the '93 is shown with the 3.0 as that's the base motor for that truck. They're the same weight.

The 7,700# tow weight is way off. In the '91 Owners Guide the maximum towing ability was 6,000# and that was with the 4.0 with 3.73s and the auto.

Ford Towing Guide lists the 2007 Ranger maximum at 6,000# for the 2wd 4.0. Several years of guides are on that site.

See the line that says Gross Combined Weight Rating? That's maximum possible weight of truck and trailer. So if your truck is loaded to it's 5,000# gross weight then you can only pull a 4,500# trailer. If the 3,500# curb weight truck has only the driver and not even your sunglasses in the glovebox, you could pull close to 6,000#.

Last edited:

Donnie strickland

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Curb weight

I have weighed my 1994 4.0 4X4 5 speed Ranger XLT at work on our certified truck scale and it weighs 3869# with nobody in it, 3/4 tank of gas.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
My owner's manual specifically states 7,700 lbs towing ability given the right circumstances, but however I mis-understood the terms for vehicle weight.

slisdexia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hmm

I am starting to think there may be something wrong with my truck. I pulled a 16' Hobie Cat with it and couldn't get it to pull in 5th. Now I can pull(with the new truck) a 400lb trailer full of crap in 5th and it seems to not even feel it. Hmmm...time to start hunting I guess

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
what speed were you going when you had it in fifth?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My owner's manual specifically states 7,700 lbs towing ability given the right circumstances, but however I mis-understood the terms for vehicle weight.
I would really like to see that page from your manual. That 9,500# GCWR is based on the drivetrain so it isn't going to change. The only way you get 7,700# is to chop 1,700# off the weight of the truck--and that would look a little naked going down the road. I haven't seen that model Ranger before.

Curb weight can change. My B2 is 4,200# empty with a full tank of gas now. So it's put on 800# over the years--bigger tires, upgraded axles, heavier suspension, receiver hitch, winch and mount, whatever else.

slisdexia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It's been a while, I'm guessing 55-60 or so when shifting into 5th. Couldn't tell you what rpm. I'll put the new one in 5th around 2500-3500, depending on what I'm towing. Most of the time the trailer weighs under 1000 lbs. I don't have any toys that are that heavy.

slisdexia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
By the way, any thoughts on K&N, intakes in general, the new oil-less filter system by AEM, intake tubes by I think AIRAID?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You think your truck is BROKEN and you want to modify it?

Wrong order. Change additional variables and you'll just make it that much harder to figure out.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 7700 F-150's had reinforced frames, different brakes and 7 lug wheels, all are different from the standard run of the mill F-150's. My F-150 is rated to tow 7000, I have done it several times and it did quite well, however I have no ambition to try it with a Ranger and I don't see how/why Ford would say you could attempt it.

7700 is probably the weight of the truck and trailer combined, I would think they could weigh more than that, but not every truck is rated the same (due to gearing, tire size...)

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
Slisdexia, going 55-60 mph in fifth gear your still well shy from your engine's peak torque. Assuming yours is geared similar to mine, your doing about 1700-1800rpm in fifth at 55-60 mph. I believe someone here on TRS mentioned the OHV 4.0 generates peak torque at 2,200rpm or 2,400rpm. Assuming your gearing is like mine, its likely bogging a bit because your losing a good 20 lbs of torque by running in fifth at that speed.

Will, at this point I'm thinking I mis-understood the terms the manual used. 85_Ranger4x4 is probably correct saying that its combined truck+trailer weight. Too bad I don't have a scanner, I'd post a pic of it so I could get an accurate translation.

slisdexia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I finally checked my axle tag, here is as best as I can decipher:
V333K
4L10 88 3AO8
I have a hard time believing there is any sort of limited slip in there, but maybe, what do I know? Any meaning to the other numbers? And by the way, I am going to fix whatever is wrong with it before modifying it any further. To do anything else would be just plain stupid.
No one has anything to say about induction methods?

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
I *think* that all Rangers have come with limited slip rear-ends for a long time. Couldn't tell you for sure about the 4x4 versions, but the new 4x4 Rangers have limited slip rear-ends too.... seems to be the standard. Pretty sure your running either a 3.73 or 4.10 rear end. 3.73 is what I have in mine, and even if you are running 4.10 your RPMS won't be far off from mine... a little higher. In which case your still not generating peak torque.

As I understand it, when your towing, try to keep it as close to your torque peak as possible, even if that means not shifting from 4th into 5th.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
I *think* that all Rangers have come with limited slip rear-ends for a long time.
limited slips have always been and still are optional. open carriers are standard (except fx4's).

slisdexia, your l/s might be in need of rebuilding. they DO wear out after time. but birds right, you have an 8.8 (28 spline) limited slip with 4.10's. but, since final gearing is dependent on ring and pinion AND tire size...knowing you have 4.10's doesnt tell us anything in itself.

either way, your gearing isnt that important here. towing in 5th gear is a bad idea, and your owners manual probably specifies not to. 5th gear is weaker and bogs the engine easier. tow in direct drive on the highway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals