Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i figured out that the 2pin connector is for the lockup. Maybe thats the reason why the overdrive shifts so late. Please help me to wire the lockup. Ive got the wiring diagram it says that pin 53 is a white wire but dont have a white wire in the ecu harness.. What should i do?

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 32B05A80BF19AF Expires: July 1st, 2020

SCOTTY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
'90 Ranger XLT, 2.9 A4LD:
Around 2 yrs ago she quit shifting into OD. Found that the Engine Temp Sensor connector had worked its way loose from the unit due to a broken clip on the connector that holds it in place on the ETS.
(The connector had worked its way upward from the ETS terminating the circuit.) I pressed it back down, went for a drive & she started shifting into OD just fine. I replaced connector & VOILA !!
It's been fine ever since.

Neusser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Many thanks for your response.

Can you tell me how the overdrive is activated? Is it only activated when there is enough vacuum in third gear? Does the vehicle speed sensor or the clutch lock up have anything to do with it? Unfortunately the ranger doesn't have a rev counter so I can't say how much RPM is going down.

My plan is to check the vacuum hose going to the gearbox.

And to build my own wiring harness that goes from the control unit to the 2pin connector and vehicle speed sensor. I hope it works, I'm unsure because the connector of the original wiring harness to the pin has no cables. So I have to pin them myself. I hope that the control unit outputs the signal to the pin.

Thank you for your help

1996_XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
What To Post Here:

We see a lot of threads in the forum about A4LD problems.

I would like for everyone who has or had a problem with their A4LD to post it in this thread. Please post what the problem is/was and how you fixed it if it's been fixed. If you post the problem now and get it resolved later, edit your post. Don't add it further down the thread.

I want this thread to be simply problems and known fixes. Not a long lengthy thread with a ton of suggestions as to what might be wrong. Try to keep the thread on topic to just A4LD problems and known fixes. Don't wander off in to what ifs and shot in the dark suggestions.

Thanks.
Just purchased 94 with 3.0 A4LD Are these transmissions NORMAL with the hard or jerky shifting? Have a neighbor with a 96 & his does the same, not sure how to describe as maybe a QUICK, hard, or jerky

Ranger101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Since this is a thread for A4LD issues, here we go.

My 89 2WD starts fine but I have to let it warm up and go from reverse to D to D2 to D1 and back and forth until it engages. It’s frustrating when you want to get in it and go!

Once it gets going, it hangs in 1st. After hitting higher rpms, it goes into 2nd and on longer stretches it will go into 3rd and 4th ‘normally’. Once I stop, the same process begins. Easing up when she is in 1st and revving will get her to kick into 2nd sooner.

I got on the highway once and the same process worked and she hit higher speeds with no problem. Ran like a dream. Once I left my destination and ventured back onto the highway she slowed down to a limp as soon as I got onto the acceleration lane. I was fortunate enough to creep in the emergency lane to the next exit. Once I got off the highway, shut it down and let her rest, she started right up and went through her standard process of hanging in 1st, revving, and then going into 2nd until I got home.

The speedo doesn’t work in any gear so I checked the gear from the Vehicle Speed Sensor into the transmission and its in good shape. I haven’t changed the VSS as of yet.

The transmission fluid looks fine and it does not leak.

I’m ready for any input or suggestions.

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
@Ranger101 It might be time for a rebuild. Transmissions don't last forever.

weskmsub

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
Have a 1989 Ford Ranger with only 91000 miles on it. All of sudden it has been having delayed engagement in Drive gears, will go in reverse with no issues.
I dropped the pan and magnet was only hairy, replaced the filter and gasket. And added new fluid, still had same issue.
If I put my ODB1 on and in test mode. The Transmission engages in the drive gears right away.
Any idea what the ODB1 is doing that is telling the Transmission to engage?

zachwabbit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
Driving my B2 from SoCal to Colorado the trans started shifting oddly, wouldn’t stay in gear like the computer couldn’t figure out what rpm range it was in so it would shift up or down sporadically under throttle. Turns out on the steep climb into Flagstaff the old stock cat started clogging up and because of a broken wiring harness clip the trans harness hung a little too close to the cat which had heated up excessively from the partial clogging, and melted through the outer coating of the wires and they were shorting out and touching as they swayed causing the solenoids to engage and disengage at incorrectly. Luckily no permanent damage happened (that I know of), and splicing in some new wires, and moving them up and out of the way along the frame rail has returned everything back to normal. Didn’t realize finding an a4ld harness that’s in good shape would be so hard, hence why I just ended up just fixing the old one.