• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Off road tool kit

Theswordguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Is there a resource anywhere that lists every major tool required to work on a particular vehicle? Wanting to put together a comprehensive tool kit for my 2004 4x4 ranger 4.0.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For offroading figure out what you will possibly break and then what you will be able to repair in the field.

Alternator - easy to limp to civilization
Transmission - you won't be rebuilding in the field

Tools to change alternator/idler/tensioner, stuff to pull brakes and wheel bearings off, good tire change jack and tools, tire plug kit with 12v air compressor stuff to change spark plugs/fluids etc, jump pack, jumper cables...

For my road trips I figure on light trailside/autozone parking lot kind of repairs. Major driveline parts... you are going to be dead in the water for days waiting on parts and it will never go as nice as it would if you just got it to a shop.

Theswordguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the knowledge and ideas!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Work on your truck in the driveway before working on it in the woods. :icon_thumby:

After doing some basic routine maintenance you'll figure out what tools are common and useful for your truck. There's usually a ton that can be done with just a cheap set of wrenches, sockets, and pliers.

And like others stated, what are you prepared to fix? If you're not going to carry things like spare axles or U-joints then no point carrying tools to replace them. Think what replacement parts you can/will carry, what can be fixed on the trail, and what tools go with that stuff.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
as for extras/ parts, carry a radiator hose or the means to splice or repair a ruptured hose, extra hose clamps of varying sizes, extra coolant// water, extra belt(s) work gloves, a roll of paper towels or shop towels, (and for us old folks that cant lay on gravel anymore without completely making us unable to get up and walk again, a mat of somesort to lay on while changing all of this stuff. tire plug kit and at least one if not two spare tires. Extra oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid and any other lifeblood fluid for your truck.

Some more mechanical harder parts to think about: a few u Joints, extra idlers or tensioners for the belts, a wheel bearing set, if you have manual hubs an extra hub and nut assembly.

Most of your trail repairs are not going to be much more involved than what is needed above, unless you are @bobbywalter, then you can pack an extra engine/ drive train and only be down for about an hour or so while he changes it out with common hand tools :)

Some other odds and ends: bring a small shovel, you might need it to dig your self out, bring some 2x 12 sections to put under your jack or jackstands as the ground you are on will probably *not* be level.. Zip ties, duct tape, wd-40... you can temporarily (or permanently in some cases) fix a lot of ails with those items. your goal is not to make the truck OEM specs on the trail, but to get it back home or at least back out of the trail.

AJ

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Besides the obvious electrical tape and 100mph tape carry some 3M self fusing silicone wrap, a stick of JB water weld putty, and some single use super glue tubes.

Silicone wrap can fix broken hoses, lines, or even a radiator or thermostat housing. It can hold quite a bit of pressure, doesn't need the surface of what you're fixing to be clean or smooth since it stretches and sticks to itself, and it's pretty impervious to a fair amount of heat.
3mwrap-repair-silicone-tape-03625.jpg

JB water weld can plug almost anything including gas tanks (while still full of gas). I used it once to fix a hole in a transmission pan while transmission fluid was still pouring out. I kept driving the truck for a week with the water weld on there before actually replacing the pan. It probably would have lasted years.
81ca5UBkXNL._AC_SY679_.jpg

A few tubes of single use super glue are a good idea too. I think you can buy like a 6 pack of the one time use tubes which are alot better for an emergency kit than a single full sized tube since, well you know super glue dries out once you open the tube. Plus they are about the size of a dime so you can stick them anywhere. I keep them all over the place.
330772_o51.jpeg

If you can't McGuyver it back together with those three things and some duck tape you need a tow truck.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It really depends on what you're doing off road... in my crawler rig, I have a lot of stuff including spare fuel pumps and driveshafts, locking hubs, etc... things I can actually change on the trail and have needed before.

I do not carry things like an alternator because it is major surgery and requires removing my electric fan and a bunch of other crap to get one bolt out. My buddy carries a spare transmission with him. Really just depends how deep you want to get into it.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Plus, think about who you will be traveling with. Maybe share the load instead of everybody carrying duplicates. If your buddy carries a spare transmission, just make sure your truck uses the same transmission. Let him carry that thing. You bring the Gatorade and a few shop towels

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Plus, think about who you will be traveling with. Maybe share the load instead of everybody carrying duplicates. If your buddy carries a spare transmission, just make sure your truck uses the same transmission. Let him carry that thing. You bring the Gatorade and a few shop towels
That reminds me, this is your year for the transmission.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I know most of this was a joke but I learned long ago not to count on other people for your emergency supplies...

I use to go on extended hiking trips (10+ days) and I'd go with a small group of friends, we would split up the supplies to save weight. EVERY SINGLE TIME, someone who was designated to carry something forgot. One time it was our water filter, a rather important item when you have to drink water from random streams and puddles. I kept iodine tabs in my pack as backup so for 7 days we lived drinking swamp water filtered through a bandanna with gross tasting iodine tablets in it. Ever have already gross freeze dried food boiled with iodine flavored water?

When we go off-road or even just for a day driving on the beach I pack my whole kit. My friends will often say hey you don't gotta bring all that or whatever I have stuff. I just roll my eyes. 99% of the time they end up digging through my gear for stuff.

Moral of the story. Carry your own supplies! Rely on NO ONE!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am a lone wolf for most of my off-road adventures (I am two states from anywhere... not the little wimpy NE sized states either) and my hodge-podge antiquated junk is generally different than everybody else's... so I generally load for bear. Standard loadout in my Craftsman JY box, I could pull the trans if I wanted to.

And small electrical parts in the red box (a couple connectors, coil, ign module, fuses etc) and fluids with other hazardous liquids (stove/fuel) Stove stays at camp once I get to where I am going though.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Nj is super close to Iowa... come offroading here and we will go together. I have some nice trails on my property and after we can drink a beer in my basement!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals