• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odometer Removal

4x4wannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I just got my instrument cluster today with tach to replace my old non-tach cluster. The only problem I am running into is I cant figure out how to take the odometer out of the old cluster and put it into my new cluster. Does anyone know how this can be done? btw its a 00 ranger and Im replacing it with one from a 99.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
The odometer drum just pops out. But to get to it, you will need to take apart the cluster. Remove the speedo needle and then the speedo circuit. And then you can remove the screws holding in the odometer mechanism. The only problem is re-cal the speedo. When I did mine to replace a burnt out odometer motor. I had to drive the truck up to 65mph via a GPS. And then very carefully place the needle correctly. It took a few tries before I pushed in the rest of the way. FYI, I tried doing it first by removing the driveshaft. Couldn't get it to hold speed correctly. But in the end, my speedo is -/+ 1 mph off (1mph faster at low speeds, and 1mph slower at higher speeds)

4x4wannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks a lot, I guess my main question was how do you get to the odometer mechanism? So you just pull off the speedo needle and then pop off the gauge face around the speedo? is there anything holding that plastic gauge face on besides clips? and is there any way to avoid recalibration if your VERY careful lol?

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
it's easier to hook a high speed drill to the odo and turn it to the correct number.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks a lot, I guess my main question was how do you get to the odometer mechanism? So you just pull off the speedo needle and then pop off the gauge face around the speedo? is there anything holding that plastic gauge face on besides clips? and is there any way to avoid recalibration if your VERY careful lol?
No. Leave the face plate alone. The internals of the cluster are divide into 3 seperate gauge circuits. When you pull the center gauge circuit (speedo &/or tach), you also pull the odometer with it. But the speedo motor is in the way of odometer and you will need to unscrew the speedo motor. The speedo needle needs to be remove because you can't pull the motor out with it in place. Once the speedo motor is removed, you can easily get to the odometer.

High speed drill is not recommended. It will take too long. I tried that with a dermel tool too. It was easier to make up a few miles on the old drum than almost 80k miles worth on the new one.

4x4wannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks captain for that link, thats exactly what i needed. Ive been workin on it all evening and I got the swap completed and everything is working great. The tach is awesome. I used the aa battery calibration method and judging by the sound of my flowmaster, its very close to right on. ill check it with a gps later on. The only question I have is the check gauge light came on for the first couple minutes i had the truck running with the new cluster and then it went off and hasnt been on since do its not a problem. Just curious if anyone knows what causes this and what does the check gauge light mean in the first place cause i dont think my old cluster had one?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals