• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odd Transmission Issues in 2010 4WD 4.0

Larnach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I was hoping maybe somebody could shed some light on the issue I've been having (a shop has looked at it too and "fixed" it)

Long story short, the O/D Off light was flashing a few weeks back and went away. No issues, then coming back from Ocotillo last weekend it came back on, I noticed about 30 miles into it being on the transmission was slipping pretty bad and my truck was leaving a cloud of smoke behind me. Pulled off the highway and looked underneath the truck. PUDDLES of transmission fluid were on the ground in seconds and smoke filled the cab.

Towed the truck to a shop and they said that after doing a dye test that an O-ring had blown out of the dipstick neck - they replaced the O-ring, flushed the transmission and did another dye test - no leaks. I've been driving it all week, till today. I was heading back out to Ocotillo when I noticed a smell of burning transmission fluid. I thought maybe that this was residue from before, but again the transmission started slipping in 3/4/5 and smoke was pouring out the back. I pulled over again and the same damn problem! Puddles of transmission fluid. I checked the fluid level, cleaned the dipstick, rechecked, all was good.

I let things cool down and started heading back home (I was about 65 miles out) - about 15 miles in/20 minutes the O/D off light came on and I pulled off the road to let things cool down. I realized that it wasn't smoking anymore, the fluid levels were good, but I had to start off manually in 1st, shift to second, then switch to D around 45mph, but I couldn't go more than 1/5th throttle or it would slip. I babied this thing through the back roads and made it home about 2-1/2 hours later. No more leaking, relatively dry underneath the truck, but I see that it's possibly leaking from the transmission/transfer case junction - has anybody had this issue? Transmission is crap in 1st if you get on the throttle, 2nd is strong, 3, 4 and OD are crap, but only when it's warm. I know I definitely lost about 2 quarts so that's probably causing slippage, but where would this leak come from?

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The truck has realized it is in California and is objecting.

Seriously though, get the codes. Something is up that has raised a flag with the computer. I'm thinking it may be overheating the trans, which can happen if the cooler is plugged.

Larnach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Hahaha, yea I wouldn't blame it for that either!

Good call, that's what I was hoping to do too, but the shop was saying that no codes were present. This is a reputable shop too, I've taken every vehicle and job I didn't have time/tools to do work on there.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Completely plausible to not be able to read the codes. The transmission codes need to be read when the od light is actually flashing (that means there is a pending code). Once it stops flashing the code clears itself from the memory. Only If the problem persists long enough does it become a stored code and then the CEL will also come on.

I agree with adsm, sounds like its overheating and dumping fluid from the vent. If it overheats it would clear the code once it drops back to normal temp...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals