• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odd sound when starting my truck

One Sick Puppy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2008 Ranger 2.3L 2x4. New, under warranty. I called my dealer and tried to explain this intermittent issue to them and they said that they can hook it up to the machine and charge me $100 regardless of whether or not they find anything, so I'm more inclined to let something burn out before I bring it in. However, this particular problem is a bit irritating because it's pretty frequent.

When I start the vehicle, sometimes (maybe 20% of the time, more often when cold first thing in the morning - rarely during the day, and never during daily driving when in and out of the truck, i.e. truck is warm) it seems to skip once or twice in the rotation (?) of the starter (?). It always starts, however. I remember when I had my kcar, my friend got it started by hitting the starter with a hammer cuz it was seized or something. So, I'm thinking this kinda seems like the starter is a bit sticky. But, that's my very limited knowledge guess so take it for what it's worth. I've started taking vids in the morning and got a half-decent example. Sometimes it's worse than this, but most of the time it's fine. Any idears?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCUSboIbOrw

*update*
I have since began starting the truck a bit differently now. I turn the ignition all the way before starting, then allow some of the lights to disappear before I crank it up. Seems to have solved the problem almost 95% so far. It's almost like something needs to charge up before I start the vehicle... like a glow plug on a diesel. Is this normal?

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2008 Ranger 2.3L 2x4. New, under warranty. I called my dealer and tried to explain this intermittent issue to them and they said that they can hook it up to the machine and charge me $100 regardless of whether or not they find anything, so I'm more inclined to let something burn out before I bring it in. However, this particular problem is a bit irritating because it's pretty frequent.

When I start the vehicle, sometimes (maybe 20% of the time, more often when cold first thing in the morning - rarely during the day, and never during daily driving when in and out of the truck, i.e. truck is warm) it seems to skip once or twice in the rotation (?) of the starter (?). It always starts, however. I remember when I had my kcar, my friend got it started by hitting the starter with a hammer cuz it was seized or something. So, I'm thinking this kinda seems like the starter is a bit sticky. But, that's my very limited knowledge guess so take it for what it's worth. I've started taking vids in the morning and got a half-decent example. Sometimes it's worse than this, but most of the time it's fine. Any idears?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCUSboIbOrw

*update*
I have since began starting the truck a bit differently now. I turn the ignition all the way before starting, then allow some of the lights to disappear before I crank it up. Seems to have solved the problem almost 95% so far. It's almost like something needs to charge up before I start the vehicle... like a glow plug on a diesel. Is this normal?

The truck is under warranty and the dealer is going to charge you $100 to diagnose the problem???????? Did that dealer think that you just fell off the turnip truck??????
The noise sounds like a starter on it's way out or maybe some broken teeth on the flywheel. Even if it's the battery, the warranty will cover it.
As far as the battery goes, I am assuming that you went to auto zone or advanced auto for a free battery evaluation to rule that out before you posted.

Last edited:

Brett06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
im not sure if this is a potential problem but having a small battery may cause it. or you may just have a bad starter. im not sure if this is true or not it just seems like it could be a problem

SMTGREG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MGB
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Transmission
Manual
Watching the dashlights (flicker) and hearing it start it sounds like low battery voltage. have the battery tested. Also have the truck tested for a current draw.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals