• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odd Ball ranger?

Ranger-rick

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys this is my first post. My name is derrick I'm from northern MI

Anyway I just bought a 1994 XLT Ranger EX cab 4x4 4.0 5 speed with 130k miles.

It came with a box from a different color ranger on there because the original one was in rough shape. Well its a white truck so I wanted to paint it white to match the rest of the truck so I grabbed the paint code off the door and its clearly a paint code for red, not the WO for the correct oxford white. I know what color it is so I just bought some oxford white and sprayed it and it matches great. I know the truck has not been repainted. It is definitely an oxford white truck but has a red paint code on the data tag. Also the VIN matches the truck on the tag so I know the door hasn't been changed. Seems like ford painted it white but gave it a red paint code, strange.

Secondly it came stock with 265/75R15 tires. I wasn't aware that you could order a tire that large stock on a Ranger.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We have a 07 Edge that's a tan, but the VIN and door read green. It was bought with 12 miles on it from a ford dealer. It happens I guess.

I thought the biggest stock on the 4x4 was 235x75 15". The 4x2 was 225x75x14 I think.

Ranger-rick

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmm I guess it does happen.

But yeah I thought the tire size was around 235 Max too I thought the guy put oversized tires on it but I look at the door tag again and it has 265/75R15 stamped on it. Seemed large to throw 31 in tires on it from the factory. I like the oversized tires it just seems odd that Ford put them on since they never put large tires on anything haha.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My 97 came with 265 75R15 tires from t he factory. it is an "Off road" package. Probably a precursor to the FX4 off road package on the newer trucks.

Weird on the paint codes tho...

AJ

Ranger-rick

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I figured it was something like that because it also has a 3.73 limited slip.

Thanks guys!

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys this is my first post. My name is derrick I'm from northern MI

Anyway I just bought a 1994 XLT Ranger EX cab 4x4 4.0 5 speed with 130k miles.

It came with a box from a different color ranger on there because the original one was in rough shape. Well its a white truck so I wanted to paint it white to match the rest of the truck so I grabbed the paint code off the door and its clearly a paint code for red, not the WO for the correct oxford white. I know what color it is so I just bought some oxford white and sprayed it and it matches great. I know the truck has not been repainted. It is definitely an oxford white truck but has a red paint code on the data tag. Also the VIN matches the truck on the tag so I know the door hasn't been changed. Seems like ford painted it white but gave it a red paint code, strange.

Secondly it came stock with 265/75R15 tires. I wasn't aware that you could order a tire that large stock on a Ranger.

How do you know the bed (not box) was in bad shape? How amny owners had it before you? If the bed was in bad shape….as in needed paint, then so was the rest of the truck as well and it was repainted?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I figured it was something like that because it also has a 3.73 limited slip.

Thanks guys!
yep, got that too on mine. I would love to have the 4.10 ls instead tho...

AJ

Ranger-rick

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How do you know the bed (not box) was in bad shape? How amny owners had it before you? If the bed was in bad shape….as in needed paint, then so was the rest of the truck as well and it was repainted?
Because the box was dented and rusted bad so the guy before me changed it out. That's what he told me, I believe him too because he literally told me everything he knew about the truck. More than I even cared about, he was a good guy.

Plus you'd be able to find at least a little bit of the old red if it was. Its way too much work to do a whole color change. They would have had to pull all the panels, the engine, everything.

Last edited:

Ranger-rick

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Why don't you slap a set of 4.10s in there then? Once you look into it you'd be shocked at how cheap gears actually are.

That is off to have a Ford good on the paint code. My 2004 had the 265/70/16's and it was a non Fx4 4x4.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The tag could be coded incorrectly, or it may have been a fleet truck at some point. I have seen a lot of fleet vehicles (particularly DOT vans) that have been repainted and you really can't tell.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The tag could be coded incorrectly, or it may have been a fleet truck at some point. I have seen a lot of fleet vehicles (particularly DOT vans) that have been repainted and you really can't tell.
You say its a white truck. Thats a pretty damn common color for fleet vehicles, so Adsm might be onto something here...

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, Fleet truck. The bed was messed up and rusted but not the cab? I doubt it. It was a repaint and it was white to begin with like all fleet trucks around here that I have seen and known from friends who drive for pest and power and gas companies.

Ranger-rick

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It was a fleet truck. It was used for an electric company in Michigan.

The cab is rusted a little, just not as bad as the bed was. The cab corners are rusted out, thats really the only rust on the cab, I have to patch weld in some metal and then im going to spray bed liner on the sides for a two tone. I dont really care how the old bed got damaged lol, all I know is the previous owner said he bought it from an old man that drove it for the electric company then bought it from them. He said the bed was shot and had access to a purple bed from another ranger for free and just threw it on there. The bed might not have been THAT bad but since he had a rust free purple bed he just threw it on there and shot it with primer. The inside of the bed is still purple lol, im going to put a DIY bed liner in it so I didn't paint the inside of the bed when I did the outside of the bed.

Its just an old truck that runs great that ill have until I can afford an F-150 again. I used to have an 05 FX4 Screw F-150 but had to sell it because I got out of the Navy and im now going to school full time so I dont have the money I used to. So I bought this truck cash so I can have it for awhile since I used to have an 87 Bronco II and also an 88 Ranger. Rangers are rock solid trucks that run FOREVER with proper maintenance, so it was a no brainer on what vehicle I was going to buy cash and drive until it wont move anymore!

Last edited:

Ranger-rick

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking since it was ordered for the electric company that the truck was originally set to be a red truck but was just painted white instead after the electric company bought it and ford never changed the data tag.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals