• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Not sure what i should do with my 5r55e

Mxminiracer99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So i have a 99 ranger 4.0 4x4, I just took my truck to the trans shop cause I fell like the truck just doesn't go since the day I got it, I fixed alot of issues and replaced almost everything on the truck, the shop did a flush and filter change, they said the trans is fine and has something to do with the engine, truck drives fine if you drive like a sunday driver, but as soon as you want to get one the throttle to overtake someone on the highway she just want shift up until you get off the throttle, then it feels like it just slips in. Trans has 192k on it, here are no codes, I fell like it need the updated shift kit, but he says thats not the problem, I swear its the trans, is never had a vehicle not move outta its own way like this truck, my lifted 97 2.3 2wd ranger on 33s is faster and quicker than my 4.0, I dont know what to do it this point, any help would be much appreciated

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
whats the specs on your 99? lifted with bigger tires or stock?

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You're describing "slipping" thats typical as a 5r55e Tranny ages.
Your shop did a Trans "flush and filter change";
I hope they did NOT use a tranny flush machine (can do more damage than good);
I hope they only dropped the Pan & installed new Filter + new PanGasket + new 5~7qts MerconV, then a BandAdjust ?
I would proceed as follows:
* HandPump ~24oz ATF from TrannyDipTube, replace with bottle of LucasTransmissionFix/LTF; just high viscosity ATF that may help shifting.
* If thats no help, HandPump ~1qt ATF, replace with fresh MerconV.FullSyn, AmsOil#SSMV\RedLine#D4 preferred; drive ~50miles, repeat several times.
* If thats no help, a ValveBody ShiftKit + new Solenoids + new BondedGasket, or a Rebuilt ValveBody; CentralValveBody\Donny in OK is a source.
* If thats no help, a fully New\Rebuilt 5r55e.

Last edited:

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You're describing "slipping" thats typical as a 5r55e Tranny ages.
A transmission shop checked it out and claims there is nothing wrong with the transmission

Transmission shop also claim it's an engine performance issue.

Do you really think they're going to send a $2000 possible customer away?

Mxminiracer99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I was also ready to buy a new trans and replace myself, thats not a problem, I just dont have the time to rebuild my trans, but I would like to put a new valve body and shift kit, I could do that myself, I do know that i have a lift tick and was going to put the 1.7 morana kit in it with stage 2 ported heads and a comp cams in it to solve the top end issue, but i wanted to figure out my trans issue first

Mxminiracer99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
With the truck having 192k on original trans can is do the rebuilt valve body with shift kit and new selenoids and it wont be a problem, they shop said not to cause it with up the line pressure and break stuff

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A transmission shop checked it out and claims there is nothing wrong with the transmission
Responded to what OP described as slipping; tranny shops motivation is whole other issue.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
With the truck having 192k on original trans can is do the rebuilt valve body with shift kit and new selenoids and it wont be a problem, they shop said not to cause it with up the line pressure and break stuff
I suspect your ValveBody gasket is blown out, but Id try the LTF first as the cheapest option.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size

The A4LD variants have developed a reputation for being hard to rebuild correctly so it would not surprise me to see a shop blame a problem on something else to get rid of a customer rather than have him come back a bunch of times and lose money on it in the long run. Not saying that's what's going on here for sure but it's a possibility.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have two things to offer
One is IF there was no transmission problem, why did they flush it? Sounds about like a Dr saying there is no stomach issue and prescribing a round of diarhea meds

Two is a similar issue I've often had, although mine is a 93 4.0 with standard Transmission.
Getting on the highway mostly where it happens, and traffic coming up fast from behind, and I'm trying to coax it to move on, it's even worse going up hill, the more I try to coax it on the more it just seems to bogg along.
Then, after all the oncoming traffic has gone around, and any uphill; slope has been climbed, and there is no longer any need for a more rapid acceleration, and I ease off the pedal, it perks up like a coffee pot on steroids! ??
I have never really posed the question about why, but that's what mine seems to like to do

Mxminiracer99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So they transmission didn't do a flush, just a new filter and fluid, but I had also done that 20k before, he thought maybe the cat were clogged so he suggested I remove the front o2 sensors and see uf that helped, so i did that right there in their lot and took it for a test drive and still felt the same, I also tested that a few months ago with a vacuum gauge and it came back fine, ive had a clogged cat before on another vehicle but that was pretty noticable, my other issure I had before all this was an engine performance issue, I had a lean on bank 1&2. I figured out it was the fuel pump, it was working at only half pressure, so I changed that and its been fine since. Since I've had the truck its just dont go, but when she is going its fine, maybe I should just put on new cats and rule that out too

Mxminiracer99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
As im driving to work now, its shifting through the gears, and after each shift it revs up a bit, maybe cause its cold

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals