• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Not sure what i should do with my 5r55e

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Check this out, it's tranny info from ford that's been reviewed by the transmission rebuilders of America or something like that, but these guys rebuild tranny's, they have a club so theyre really into it.....you may want to try to adjust your epc solenoid a 1/4 turn clockwise, it says 3/4 i did that it was too much, 1/4 did the trick......they mention it while talking about the" ranger flare" on ranger tranny's, i think page 75 but not sure. https://atracom.blob.core.windows.net/manuals/individual/2000/2000_web_ford.pdf

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It is from ford......the admins here at this site loved this, they put it in the tech library here on this site its such good info......im the one who found it online while fixing my tranny, it's great knowledge

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
All you have to do is click on it, theres like 50 pages of great ford tranny info.....problems,info,fixes, etc

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
ATRA generally is a good resource.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So the shop flushed the trans and put new fluid and a filter in… did they adjust the bands? Pretty sure like the A4LD it was derived from, there are a couple band adjustment screws. That could be part of the problem.

That said, I also have come to highly recommend shift kits for autos. I went pretty near whole hog on the A4LD in my 92 and it went from a mushy/slushy thing that worked to a smooth operator that was capable of lighting up the rear if you got on the gas too hard and too quick. I got the bands only half adjusted because of rust too. I’m not sure I never want a stock auto any more in one of these trucks. I’m intending on upgrading all of my autos.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
I'm probably way off base here, but aren't there several sensors on trans/engine that are involved in the shifting? Seems like if one of those was bad it could cause problems?
I don't know about '99, but I know on my '97 there are sensors, but in fact one sensor in the shop manual, doesn't exist, it was pointed out to me here that it's an error, and there was a bulletin that one of those sensors doesn't actually exist in my year.
But I don't know if it would produce this apparent slipping and others know more.
My '97 5-speed auto works great. The only thing I noticed, relative to the '99, is that if you are as you say Sunday driving it will be in 3rd in almost no time, but it downshifts fine if you get on it. I'd assume if there is actually a difference it's because the 4.0L is stronger than the 3.0L so it doesn't have to rev as much before it shifts (if you aren't on the gas).
But if you do stomp it it'll wind out pretty good before it shifts.
I imagine that didn't help you at all.

Mxminiracer99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So my new valve body assembly with shift kit came in along with my deep oil pan, if worse comes to worse ill buy the damn rebuild kit for $500 and take vaca time to rebuild it myself

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
How'd you make out ?

Mxminiracer99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So finally I have any update on my transmission, i pulled it out and tore it all apart, the three issues I found, #1 the reverse piston had a blown out gasket, #2 the valve body has a blown out gasket, and #3 the first coast drum when you pull it apart had a bad gear thing, I ordered parts, the new drum came with that gear thing welded into the drum, I put all new clutches and bands, heavy duty converter, reman valve body with shift kit installed, deep oil pan, new sensors, harness, basically everything I could think of when it was out. I also gave it a paint job, so far so good. This in my first automatic I've rebuilt, so im happy, seems to shift it the right times now, still have to break it in, i have maybe 5 miles on it, im sure it has to relearn. I also think that I probably could have just replaced the valve body and the gasket for the reverse piston and that would've fixed my problems, all the clutches looked good and the bands looked great, but then again this was my first automatic

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So finally I have any update on my transmission, i pulled it out and tore it all apart, the three issues I found, #1 the reverse piston had a blown out gasket, #2 the valve body has a blown out gasket, and #3 the first coast drum when you pull it apart had a bad gear thing, I ordered parts, the new drum came with that gear thing welded into the drum, I put all new clutches and bands, heavy duty converter, reman valve body with shift kit installed, deep oil pan, new sensors, harness, basically everything I could think of when it was out. I also gave it a paint job, so far so good. This in my first automatic I've rebuilt, so im happy, seems to shift it the right times now, still have to break it in, i have maybe 5 miles on it, im sure it has to relearn. I also think that I probably could have just replaced the valve body and the gasket for the reverse piston and that would've fixed my problems, all the clutches looked good and the bands looked great, but then again this was my first automatic
Awesome man :)

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
...my transmission...three issues
...#1 the reverse piston had a blown out gasket
...#2 the valve body has a blown out gasket
...#3 the first coast drum when you pull it apart had a bad gear
...parts...new drum came with that gear thing welded into the drum...clutches and bands, heavy duty converter, reman valve body with shift kit
...deep oil pan, new sensors, harness...everything I could...gave it a paint job
...happy, seems to shift it the right times...break it in...5 miles on it...has to relearn
...could have just replaced the valve body and the gasket for the reverse piston and that would've fixed my problems
...clutches looked good and the bands looked great...my first automatic
Sound like you've done good work!
Any pics, list of vendors & part numbers, things to watch for during disassembly+rebuild,
that you can share would be a great resource for ohers?

Last edited:

Mxminiracer99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Bad news I spoke too soon. After driving for a couple weeks, it still wont up shift when its wide open throttle, half throttle everything shifts fine, i also feel like it should pull harder then it does, i dont understand. Everything looked pretty good inside, so im waiting for my lane pressure guage to come in and test that now, ill keep you posted

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There's a lot to those. I had a buddy back in the 70s somewhere who's brother was an automatic transmission man. I'm not sure exactly why but we, several of us, were riding in his plymouth fury, think it was a 4 dr, might have been a 2. I can't say what engine or transmission but he had just completed doing a full blueprint of the transmission.
He probably had a 440, and when he'd punch it out he'd talk about everything it was doing through the gears
At that time I believe I had a little Honda, so it wasn't difficult to understand what he was talking about, and it sounded like a race car going through the gears, every one of them so dang accurate and true.
There is a lot to know in those things if you're going to build one, and there has been for a long long time
I wish you well with yours, but I've already told you about all I can :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals