• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No Limited-Slip on 2010 Ranger?!?

Old Sparky

Reaction score
Engine Size
4 Liter
Transmission
Manual
I ordered a 2010 Ranger Friday.

Can anybody tell me why I can't get limited slip on a 4wd?!?

Puhleeze tell me it's because AdvanceTrac/RSC/ABS/EIEIO works Sofa King Well off-road that the 2010 Ranger 4wd NEEDS NO LIMITED SLIP!!!

Or am I just dreaming?!?

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i pressed F4 but nothing happened? haha

but that looks like she will be nice, manual tcase?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i pressed F4 but nothing happened? haha

but that looks like she will be nice, manual tcase?
Nope they don't put them in rangers anymore, its the turn know I would guess... unless they do in which case I would be soooooooooooo jealous.

As for the L/S I haven't a clue, I have tried to add it as an option building them on ford.com but it never adds it.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I'm pretty sure it IS because of the traction control.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm pretty sure it IS because of the traction control.
It is still available on the Mustang though, actually I don't know if you can get a Mustang without it.

And the salesman let my brother push F4 when he ordered his Mustang. :icon_thumby:

4x4wannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I don't know why automakers insist on putting a little knob for 4wd nowadays. I mean I don't know about everyone else, but i wanna lever to make sure that bad boy is in gear. As far as i know, that little knob might not be doing anthing when i turn it, but if theres a shifter or lever i can pull i know at least somethins happening :yahoo:. Same with the automatic locking hubs and automatic disconnecing axle/driveshaft nonsense. I mean is it really that complicated to get out and turn a little knob on your hub lol:icon_rofl:. Just my opinion, and its too bad they have that bogus electronic traction control instead of a limited slip.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I don't know why automakers insist on putting a little knob for 4wd nowadays. I mean I don't know about everyone else, but i wanna lever to make sure that bad boy is in gear. As far as i know, that little knob might not be doing anthing when i turn it, but if theres a shifter or lever i can pull i know at least somethins happening :yahoo:. Same with the automatic locking hubs and automatic disconnecing axle/driveshaft nonsense. I mean is it really that complicated to get out and turn a little knob on your hub lol:icon_rofl:. Just my opinion, and its too bad they have that bogus electronic traction control instead of a limited slip.
I agree with the needing the lever on the floor, it does the same thing with more reliability and probably cost less. Now we have a knob that probably adds 500$ worth of electronic stuff (and if you need 4x4 chances are its never an Ideal place for electronics...)

However as much as I hate auto hubs (and I have no problem getting out of the truck and locking them in infact thats what I made my auto hubs manuals.) there are alot of people that don't want to, so auto hubs make sense to me to the people that don't want to get out. Also if my hubs buried in mud I don't really want to dig it out...

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thats why u have the hubs locked BEFORE u go into the mud hole...

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
This man speaks many truths! :icon_hornsup:

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
There is no limited-slip because of the new traction control. I suspect you would be able to put one in anyway after you get it. I have been told that a 2004 Explorer rear L/S will work in the IRS of my Sport Trac that has traction control.

In all the snow we had this winter the traction control sucked. So it brakes a spinning wheel, BFD, when all four wheels are driving through 2' of snow it cuts the power to the engine and you don't go anywhere. I spent most of February with 4-Hi locked in and the traction control turned off, which was adequate, barely, but then you're running with open axles front and rear. Due to the lack of time, ground clearance, and skidplates, I have not taken my '08 Trac off-road so I can't say how it works there.

Upside, 4 wheel disc brakes are the shit. When I got my first Sport Trac the better brakes were the second thing I noticed (the first was the better seats).

R***A**N**G**E***R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok let me get this straight!!! If I were to buy OR anybody were to buy fords new top of the line ranger 4x4 with all options and then take that truck to a GRAVEL road and turn traction control ( OFF ) and then floor the gas pedal from a dead stop ( on the gravel ) only ( 1 ) tire in the rear is going to spin??? period!!!

If I were to do a brake stand on pavement with traction control ( OFF ) I am only going to lay down ( 1 ) strip of rubber??

Are you kidding me???

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah... but then there are the people that think they don't need 4x4 or the mud hole is deceptive. lol
+1

It gets old wading thru a swamp and digging out the lockouts, because it was a lot worse that it looked.

There is no limited-slip because of the new traction control. I suspect you would be able to put one in anyway after you get it. I have been told that a 2004 Explorer rear L/S will work in the IRS of my Sport Trac that has traction control.

In all the snow we had this winter the traction control sucked. So it brakes a spinning wheel, BFD, when all four wheels are driving through 2' of snow it cuts the power to the engine and you don't go anywhere. I spent most of February with 4-Hi locked in and the traction control turned off, which was adequate, barely, but then you're running with open axles front and rear. Due to the lack of time, ground clearance, and skidplates, I have not taken my '08 Trac off-road so I can't say how it works there.

Upside, 4 wheel disc brakes are the shit. When I got my first Sport Trac the better brakes were the second thing I noticed (the first was the better seats).
Like I mentioned earlier, Mustangs have stability control and limited slip so that is out. If they wanted to offer it they could.

I have never had a limited slip vehicle, in snow the only times I have been stuck is when I fall thru and lay frame and the tires are clawing at powder. I am not sure a locker would have helped me the two times I got stuck this past winter, and in 10 years of driving those are the first two times I have been stuck in snow. Both times it was over a foot deep and the tires were not touching the ground, and both times I had to go get my tractor pull me out, another truck (or two together in one case) couldn't do it.

I have never been stuck in mud, but I try to pick my battles accordingly. A truck with the stock suspension, stock open axles and small mud tires will not go thru a big bottomless swamp, so I don't try. I like my trucks too much to flog the crap out of them for the heck of it too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals