• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No, its not a joke... Ford Courier... Opinion from real wheelers/ppl

SeanWilson

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
okay, here ins the skinny.. I picked up a dana 30 to do a SAS on my 98 ranger, but its my only rig and i cant afford to have my truck down for more then a weekend, and when im wheeling im worried abt breaking something and losing it as my driver...which is NOT allowed. then i saw my cherry... my unkle has a few rigs and “Crash” hasnt moved in a while, what he has is a 70’s ford courier 4 on the floor, with a 4banger under the hood.. the body is EXTREMELY rough, but doent matter :headbang:

My thoughts are to remove the bed shortening it to just at the rear shackles and do an 2 1/2 inch angle iron flat bed, so i can use 2x6’s as boards (cheap and easy) cut the front fenders and do a 2-3 inch front clip and cab lift (cheaply, im talkin square tube with welded ends) :icon_bounceblue:

1. im thinking about a coil 3 arm long arm (i build myself) with the dana 30

2. The engine is either a 1.8 or 2.0L, is that enough to spin 30’’ tires? i dont wanna go much bigger, keeping this build on a budget. (and i already have a set 0f 30x10.50x15 supper swampers)

3. Does anyone know off the top of there head, what MANUAL transfer cases will work with the 4speed? (i hate electronic)

4. i believe its running a 4.11 in the rear, should i run 4.11s or try and go taller, as in 4.88s or 5.13s?

Im not an idiot, ive done my research on many years of couriers and the “mazda b-models” i realize ill be getting at best around a 100HP, i am just looking for other smart guys, wheelers and builders to give me some of there 2cents.
- I work construction, ive got my dads killer shop at my disposal, not nice tools and lifts but got 4 sides, a roof, power and a radio; i am just shy of being a certified welder (**** aluminum welding seriously! lol) couple years of college and i do all the engine work on my toys. so i gots the skills or buddies that do. NOT bragging just an fyi, cz someone is gunna flip a guy shit ya know hahaha :icon_rofl:

SeanWilson

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
:headbang:
An attitude i can get behind!

ive got a few pics of it.... if i could figure out how to upload on this beezy

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Run 4.88's or 5.13's and find yourself some 33's. If you're gona go through the trouble of SASing it, I'd gear it. get some axle clearance! You'll regret not doing it, the first time you go out.

Sounds like a sweet build! Make sure to post up some pics.

Last edited:

organic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ford Courier Sasquatch.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Do it, you will be happy with it. I've known a few guys that have built theirs up. Only one kept the stock motor though, and its my favorite one, top speed is 50mph. It has 35" claws on it, I want to say 5:13s and a home brew doubler. Can crawl up anything I've seen it try easily.

Do it, they make great beataround designated wheelers.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Those are sweet trucks, I would gear to 5.13's the pinion would get too small with any higher gear. in fact the pinion would be tiny with 5.13s but with 50 hp I wouldn't worry about it too much

SeanWilson

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah i will probly run 33’s later, but im gunna be strapped for cash after i build it, and i got some 30’s runnin around so im gunna burn those up then go from there.

im not sure what rear axle its running yet, but im thinking 4.88’s for gearing for sure.

but its a 6 lug?!?! WTF... so any one know of any 6 lug to the 5 on 4.5 adapters? (cheap is good)

SeanWilson

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
more like 80 HP... Thank you very much!

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
That'll be a sweet little truck. I can't believe I've never heard of a courier. If Ford used to make a small truck and stopped, then started again with the ranger, maybe there is a chance of a ranger revival!

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
That courier that Sean posted was made by Mazda. the B2000 of that era had the same body panels an should be a direct swap for parts.

Good luck with the build, an keep us posted with plenty of pics!

AJ

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hell yes! 'Scribed

SeanWilson

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Do you mean like this B2000? that is currently parked 30 feet away and has many many many good parts on it :yahoo:

Talking to my old man (unkle sttill aint called me back yet) my unkle has been trying to get rid or scrap these two for a couple months now... he has a 88 2wd ranger and a toyota tercel and a sick nova in the garage... so its looking ever so promising

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals