• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No Heat

nosam420

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
ok im sure you guys have done this before, but i didnt see the post anywhere. my truck, 88 2.9 4x4 extcab ranger, doesnt blow hot air. my dad said it might be the thermostate so i replaced that. didnt work... then my uncle who, is a backyard fix it with ducktape kinda guy, said "well maybe its just stayin too cool, refering to the engine, since the heat comes off there,,, so we put a peice of cardboard up in front of the radiator, that worked a little bit, but its still very cool when i get the heat on..... i can drive the 60 miles from school to home and it still be blowin cold air... can anyone help me plz? im tired of freezing my buns off all the time...

thanks
nosam420

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Check whether the cooling system is full, then test it for blockage (you can feel for cool spots or use a garden hose).

Check the crankcase for signs of coolant.

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Might also flush your system. My heater core was clogged with black crude. Looked like grit off of shingles.

nosam420

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
ya ill try the flushing thing the next time i get the chance to go home,, for some reason the college doesnt like ya workin on your trucks in their parking lots.. lol,, who woulda guessed.. lol

Harris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Your school is lame...I was changing a buddy's water pump and the campus police came by and asked if everything was OK. When we told him we were fine but needed a two-gallon jug filled with water he went and filled it for us.

I have made a little chunk of change doing odd jobs for people in the parking lot.

If your blower is working, though, and no hot air is coming out it can only mean your coolant is low like MAKG said or your heater core is clogged up a la swamprat. Or you're forgetting to switch the system over to heat.

BobbyB2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I had this problem too after putting in too much stop leak in radiator...it clogged the heater core. A mechanic reversed the hoses at the firewall to the heater core and bingo, cleared the clog.

nosam420

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
the coolent is full, i filled it back up when i changed my thermostat. my dad had me drive it around and then check the hose that goes from the thermostat to the radiator to see if it was hot, and ya, it was very cool to the touch, so im just guessin its clogged sumwhere or sumtin...

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That means your new thermostat isn't opening. Reasons might be installing it backwards or not filling it up completely. The latter will usually make distinctive irregular knocking sounds when a warm engine is turned off.

If it were plugged (or the lower hose were collapsing), the upper hose wouldn't be completely cold. And if it IS completely plugged so as to prevent any flow at all, this engine has almost certainly been repeatedly and severely overheated. Even if the temperature gauge says it's cold.

nosam420

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
ok ill take all this into mind the next time i make it home and be able to do this. thanks for the help guys,,,, if none of this works im sure ill be right back here askin more questions... lol

nosam420

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
ok well i got into my truck today to go to work and what do i see? COOLENT in my passenger floorboard. so could this just be an easy fix such as a hose or sumtin, or do i have to replace the whole heater thingy?

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
ok well i got into my truck today to go to work and what do i see? COOLENT in my passenger floorboard. so could this just be an easy fix such as a hose or sumtin, or do i have to replace the whole heater thingy?
sounds like the heater core is leaking,needs replaced.

nosam420

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
thats what i was afraid of... that really suck.. college= no money.. lol,, but im sure i can find a way, thanks guys for all the help

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
don't take my word for it,dig in and verify with a visual inspection.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
On an '88, you can fix it for the cost of a decent (not even really nice) date and 30 minutes.

Unless you leave it be. Then it will cost more than a new (to you) truck of comparable vintage.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Heater cores can be replaced very easily and if you go to a junkyard you can usually pick one up for less than $20...if you go the JY route, you also get to learn how to remove and install one without damaging your truck because you can't damage a wrecked truck in the JY...just handle the core with care and it should work fine for you...if you take it to a rad shop they can test it for you if you want to be sure, but that's not usually needed...

Good, easy learning without paying someone to do it for you...all you will probably need is a good screwdriver to remove the clamps and a bit of climbing under the dash...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals