• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No brake lights, I’m at a loss

93shorti

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
SO! UPDATE
I have this underneath the rear end. I’m guessing when ole boy installed the led tailights maybe he spliced the whole harness right there under the bed? I’m curious. I’m going to test the twilight plugs but holy crap this is all beyond me

Attachments

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
SO! UPDATE
I have this underneath the rear end. I’m guessing when ole boy installed the led tailights maybe he spliced the whole harness right there under the bed? I’m curious. I’m going to test the twilight plugs but holy crap this is all beyond me
Those are blue "ScotchLok" wire tap connectors, which are temporary at best. Over time they can cause corrosion on the copper strands and wire failure. If they weren't installed carefully, they'll also break some of the original wire's copper strands.

*If it were me* I'd remove those ScotchLoks, inspect the original wire strands for corrosion or damage (repair if needed) and carefully tape everthing back up to seal it. ScotchLoks aren't weatherproof, which is why the wires will corrode with time. All you need to remove the ScotchLoks are pliers or needle nose pliers; you'll see when you unlatch it.

Definitely put incandescant bulbs back in, if only to troubleshoot and get everything working. There's a lot of crap LED lighting out there.

Good luck!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
SO! UPDATE
In that second picture, it looks like you are holding the original connectors that plugged directly into the bulbs. In fact, it appears that some if them have the original bulbs plugged in. You might be able to put fresh bulbs in those plugs for testing. And, as recommended above, remove the blue connectors to disconnect the led things that are giving you trouble.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
In that second picture, it looks like you are holding the original connectors that plugged directly into the bulbs.
Good catch. It amazes me at some of the bubbaology put into these trucks along the way.

93shorti

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
UPDATE! I replaced a fuse hahaha a fuse and my brake lights and tail lights work. It’s weird though my turn signals work but they are very slow and not in a rhythm. I’m still driving it like it is but I imagine that to be a lose ground somewhere?

THANK YOU ALL!!! So much. This is my only vehicle and shit week jst gets shittier so thank you all for your help it is very much appreciated and I will be around the forum much more! Now I can go hunting on my own fkn time

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Glad you got things working. Several things to try to clean it up and make it more reliable.

1. Try removing the original bulbs from those connectors. That might improve the flash rate of your turn signals.

2. If you are going to keep the LED lights, now that they are working, replace the turn signal flasher and emergency 4-way flasher modules with some that are rated for use with LED's. LED'S draw a different amount of current and that affects the way traditional flasher modules work.

3. It would be wise to improve the quality of those splices that are currently made with the Scotch-Loc connectors. If keeping the LED lights, cut off the old plugs and just splice the ends of the wires instead of doing a "Tap" off the side of the wires. At a minimum, I would recommend crimp style butt splices connectors with sealed heat shrink covering them to keep moisture out. Nest would be to twist the stripped wires together, solder the connections and cover with sealed heat shrink tubing. I realize not everyone has the means to automatically go out and buy the tools and materials for that. But it really isn't expensive and will prevent future headaches.

Some informative viewing, if you are interested;

93shorti

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Glad you got things working. Several things to try to clean it up and make it more reliable.

1. Try removing the original bulbs from those connectors. That might improve the flash rate of your turn signals.

2. If you are going to keep the LED lights, now that they are working, replace the turn signal flasher and emergency 4-way flasher modules with some that are rated for use with LED's. LED'S draw a different amount of current and that affects the way traditional flasher modules work.

3. It would be wise to improve the quality of those splices that are currently made with the Scotch-Loc connectors. If keeping the LED lights, cut off the old plugs and just splice the ends of the wires instead of doing a "Tap" off the side of the wires. At a minimum, I would recommend crimp style butt splices connectors with sealed heat shrink covering them to keep moisture out. Nest would be to twist the stripped wires together, solder the connections and cover with sealed heat shrink tubing. I realize not everyone has the means to automatically go out and buy the tools and materials for that. But it really isn't expensive and will prevent future headaches.

Some informative viewing, if you are interested;
I will absolutely do this. My goal with the truck is to clean it up so my son can drive it in some years. It’s rough but I think I can do it the gram is on the motor and trans are strong. Lots of rust but I plan on doing bodywork with my son. It won’t be perfect but it’ll be a well earned first truck for him. Thank you again guys I’ll be around!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals