• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newb considering buying a Ranger

a2thy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone. I'm mechanically inclined and an automotive enthusiast, but completely new to the world of trucks. I came here to get as much info as possible before making any big decisions. I know Ford makes quality trucks and a Ranger seems to be the way to go when fuel economy is a concern. I'm open to any advice to help me find the best truck and modifications to suit my needs. I'm in the market for something that will have a very low initial cost, and even more importantly a very low cost to own. I have no problem doing routine maintenance but I don't want to be replacing a lot of expensive parts or spending every weekend underneath the thing. I want this to be my daily driver, but I also want to be able to live in it if I have to. I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

frankserrano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
welcome aboard. i think that if you decide on a ranger, you won't regret it.

jmexia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Ranger is the way to go. I have a 98 that I got new in 98. It now has over 170k on the clock and has not let me down yet *knock on wood*. As far as mods, I'll let the other guys step in with there $0.02.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well every vehicles goingto need expensive parts replaced eventually. If you buy a used one you may have to do a few things too it to get it extremely reliable again... Rangers are fairly cheap I just picked up my 99 this summer with 80,000 miles on it for 5 g's. And not had to do one thing to it...except for the hubs...

If you get a truck get manual everything trust me. Its a helluva lot nicer being able to roll down your window. And just generally less stuff breaks.

a2thy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the tip about getting manual everything, I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I definitely plan on buying used. I have more time than I do money, so I think that will suit me better. I don't want something so old that I would need to spend a lot of time restoring it, and I don't want something too new because price is a big factor. I have plenty of time before I really need this truck, so I can wait for the right deal to come along. I was thinking that a 90's model would be best. I'm leaning toward a 4 cylinder manual transmission 2wd extended cab. Which years were the best? Any particular models or options to stay away from? How hard is it to find the 4 cylinder diesels?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the tip about getting manual everything, I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I definitely plan on buying used. I have more time than I do money, so I think that will suit me better. I don't want something so old that I would need to spend a lot of time restoring it, and I don't want something too new because price is a big factor. I have plenty of time before I really need this truck, so I can wait for the right deal to come along. I was thinking that a 90's model would be best. I'm leaning toward a 4 cylinder manual transmission 2wd extended cab. Which years were the best? Any particular models or options to stay away from? How hard is it to find the 4 cylinder diesels?
Yep no problem, i just speak from experience knowing that automatic stuff like power windiws and what not break or stop working and its a pain because you wanna stick your head out the window. Besides its gives people exercises... lol. Yeah A used truck can be had anywhere from 0 - 12,000 or so... Anything around 2000 will average around 5 -7,000 dollars for really nice ones. Anything 90's is good... actually just about any year is good just depends on what your preferred body style is. I don't know about the 4cylinders though... I think its a little harder to find 4 cyl extended cabs. but they are out there and probably pretty common down south. There really is no model differences, only different trim packages. Stay away from auto options. a 4 cylinder or a v6 in a 2wd is capable of achieving atleast 20mpg's city and average of like 25mpg highway. My friend has a 2wd ex cab ranger with a 3.0L v6 5spd, I think a 93 year... and its pretty fun and he claims about 25 mpg's mixed driving.

Any year any engine/transmission is good as long as you maintain it properly probably for a good 300,000 miles.

As for the diesel engine... they only offered it for a few years between like 83 and 86 and they are EXTREMELY rare. then the government banned them because of emissions so no diesel rangers avalible in the US... :annoyed:

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
You won't regret buying a Ranger. These trucks are tough. Welcome btw.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I personally prefer the 5 speed 2.9's over the 3.0's or 4.0's. (that makes me kinda weird) But I don't do anything out of the ordinary with it. Streets and logging roads..... My dad had a basic 1990 2.3 liter 4 cylinder that he commuted with. Changed the 5 speed at 160,000 and it was still running strong with 26ish mpgs when he sold it at 260,000. Got rear ended in it TWICE and only had to have the bed replaced each time.

a2thy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm really looking forward to buying my truck and becoming a regular on this forum. Just in case any of you happen to be on audiforums too, you can find me there with the same screen name.

I'm willing to pass on the extended cab if there are any mods out there to increase legroom and/or allow the seat to recline farther on a regular cab. The only thing I can think of is to do some custom body work to remove the rear portion of the cab along with the rear window. Of course this would necessitate some kind of a topper for the bed along with some kind of seal to join it to the cab. Do any mods like this exist? Would it be feasible?

rjppunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
one heads up is the vacuum 4wd kinda suck, it's a common problem but only requires patience

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
one heads up is the vacuum 4wd kinda suck, it's a common problem but only requires patience
I did a write up that tells you how to fix the PVH hubs actually and its been working for me 100% so far.

a2thy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Cool, thanks for all the tips guys. I'm writing a list of all the common problems to check for before purchase. Don't think I'll be buying a 4x4 unless I find a really good deal on one. I only plan on doing some mild offroading on rare occasions, so I think it would be a waste of money in my situation.

Anyone have an answer for my last post?

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm really looking forward to buying my truck and becoming a regular on this forum. Just in case any of you happen to be on audiforums too, you can find me there with the same screen name.

I'm willing to pass on the extended cab if there are any mods out there to increase legroom and/or allow the seat to recline farther on a regular cab. The only thing I can think of is to do some custom body work to remove the rear portion of the cab along with the rear window. Of course this would necessitate some kind of a topper for the bed along with some kind of seal to join it to the cab. Do any mods like this exist? Would it be feasible?
4cyl 2wd extended cabs are actually fairly common, less common then a standard cab 2wd but you see them alot. Would be rather easy to find. Concerning your mod thing, you seem to be describing what an SUV is... With enough imagination, skill, and tools, you can do just about whatever you want.

a2thy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I can't find an SUV I like, plus I want to be able to remove the topper whenever I want. I may be mistaken, but I don't think there are any very reliable and very fuel efficient SUVs that are within my price range. Please let me know if I'm wrong though.

So is there anything I couldn't do with a 4cyl other than heavy hauling/towing and accelerating quickly? I won't break anything trying to climb steep hills or anything like that?

Last edited:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well with some mods you can do anything. If you wanted to stay with a 4 cylinder and have some power I would suggest slapping a 2.3 Turbo in it if you feel the need later on.

But for the most part no, a 4 cylinder is ment to do one thing get good gas mileage and its actually quite possible to get around 30 with these trucks. You can tow but avoid big hills. I can't imagine anything you would break by climbing hills... lol I run both my trucks with the v6 and have pretty much the same stuff underneath same axles, and stuff and I haven't broken anything with oversized tires and abusing them. So I wouldn't worry too much.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals