• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New trailer!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can definitely see a use for that, especially an enclosed work trailer. The insurance might come down enough to pay for monitoring costs too.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I looked it up, dont know what the monitoring costs would be but the gps device itself is $100. Can find them on fleabay for $35.
6562F5D6-F50C-46F9-A47F-A8F92E0F6EA7.png

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I can definitely see a use for that, especially an enclosed work trailer. The insurance might come down enough to pay for monitoring costs too.
I'm not sure it would make a difference in the insurance. I suppose it depends on where you are from. My utility trailer is covered under my auto insurance if it is hooked up to one of my vehicles during an incident. The insurance I have on it is for when it is not hooked up to my vehicle. My insurance is $3 every 6 months for comprehensive and collision. Of course, the thing is so heavily modified now, other than the base trailer and it's contents, it could never be replaced as is. But that is neither here nor there for the discussion at hand. Nothing was ever asked about tracking services or any discounts being applied if it was available.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I saw mention of using eye bolts for tie downs and I would strongly recommend against this if you’re intending to use hardware store eye bolts, they aren’t truly load rated. Rated eye bolts are more expensive, and I never much liked eyes sticking out potentially in the way. Much better to use D-rings for tie-downs, they lay flat when not in use, TSC and other places have them, and they are load rated. I bought some 3/8” weld on rings and there is 7 welded on the little trailer, three across the front, one on each side in the middle, one in each back corner, and I welded nuts in place to bolt one in the center of the rear (that way a mower deck doesn’t have anything to catch on but the ring can be bolted I place quickly if needed). I also put stake pockets around the edge and with the way the C channel frame is, I can hook there too.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
So I saw mention of using eye bolts for tie downs and I would strongly recommend against this if you’re intending to use hardware store eye bolts, they aren’t truly load rated. Rated eye bolts are more expensive, and I never much liked eyes sticking out potentially in the way. Much better to use D-rings for tie-downs, they lay flat when not in use, TSC and other places have them, and they are load rated. I bought some 3/8” weld on rings and there is 7 welded on the little trailer, three across the front, one on each side in the middle, one in each back corner, and I welded nuts in place to bolt one in the center of the rear (that way a mower deck doesn’t have anything to catch on but the ring can be bolted I place quickly if needed). I also put stake pockets around the edge and with the way the C channel frame is, I can hook there too.
Are load rated eyes forged or something? And hardware store eyes cast?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

All the ones I've seen at a regular hardware store were bent rod and welded.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Yes. Load rated eyes are forged. Their load rating is much, much higher than cheap bent rod eyes. But they still must be used properly to retain the ratings.

Here's a tip of the iceberg.

Screenshot_20230228_111218_Facebook.jpg

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Hardware stores do sell load rated eye bolts as well. At least True Value stores do. I have a few installed on my trailer where it matters. Otherwise, I have rated, recessed rings on the deck and on the walls. All bolted into the frame or reinforced sections of the walls.

In any case, they have a load rating cast or forged into the ring and the ring is a solid ring instead of being a bent rod.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've used the smaller D rings on small trailers from Harbor Freight with good results, I have a bunch I need to add to my 5ishx12' trailer but when I built it I put a angle iron rail around the outside so most stuff doesn't need anything fancy... The bigger D rings from HFT and the such are just meant for 1/2" carriage bolts so aren't rocket surgery to install (but I never seem to remember to install them somehow even though I have a bunch of them too...)

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
Some of our work trucks have a similar device that plugs in the ODB2 port. Cheap to buy around $50, but are $400 a month to monitor.
Tells you where they are. How fast they drive, even when the truck is running.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Some of our work trucks have a similar device that plugs in the ODB2 port. Cheap to buy around $50, but are $400 a month to monitor.
Tells you where they are. How fast they drive, even when the truck is running.
I did something like that in the 70s, but we had to dig into the dash and find the wires they all had to hook to, It was a large rental/lease outfit, when I started had about 1200 tractor trailer rigs and I think 800 of them were getting the trip masters was what those were called. It told what speed they drove, what RPMs they shifted, all kinds of simple stuff, and that was high tech then. In fact a number of drivers quit first.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Most of our trucks at work have the tattler boxes. Ours are mounted up under the dash, but hard wired.. not plugged into the obd port. With how computerized vehicles are nowadays its kinda crazy what It can read. Speed & rpm naturally, gear, location, but also total throttle and brake input, it can tell if the truck is off but the key in the ignition, it can tell how many lbs are sitting on the passengers seat, it'll alert our corporate office whenever you hit a M.F pothole and tell them you've either done hard braking or hard acceleration...

a well placed empty bag of chips will remove it's ability to transmit data though.

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Back in the old days we used midgets, stuck 'em behind the seats with a bucket of ice to keep 'em cool. That's till OSHA came in and put them poor little people out on the street.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, towards the end of me working for Autozone they started plugging tattlers into the OBD 2 ports. Not only would it report every pothole as hard braking or acceleration, but if the van was overloaded (they nearly always were) and you tried to get going on a hill, because the front suspension would unload when you gave it enough gas to go, it would scream hard acceleration. We were all told that if you played with it, you would get in trouble, but if I saw it was messed with, I just left it alone and never said anything. The other dumb thing was the two West Virginia runs always got dinged for doing 65-75 in a 55 on the one highway, I-79 near Pittsburgh. Thing is, even the semis do 65-75 on that strip of highway and cars typically up to 85. Trying to do 55 will likely get you flattened. I suggested that the one manager try driving that sometime at 55, lol

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Well I “sprung” for a gate lift assist. lol Found one on ebay for $125 (vs $250 @ tsc) so I ordered it and just got it on today. Works well. Theres 2 coil springs in each yellow square tube, one inside of the other. Next will be either sideboards on the inside of the rails or tie downs.
79ABFA5B-2326-4A90-A696-2C2B6D74723A.jpeg
3247C0BA-5477-424F-8DFC-4D5C566C958B.jpeg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals