• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new tires

loneranger04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
hey all

well its that time in my rangers life for a new set of tires. i have a few brands/types in mind but i figured id come on and ask some opinions and see what every one else is running. maybe there is something that will sway my decsion. i have recently moved to the middle of no where as well so i need to take into mind rough terrain and dirt roads. so lets here what you have to say. i am also staying with OEM rims 15 inch to be exact.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm running BFG All Terrain T/As on my Ranger. Nice aggressive tread, smooth ride, quiet tires, grab on everything. I know snow isn't much of a concern in gainesville, but they don't even slip in snow. Deep mud is about all they aren't good for.

Best of all, they look awesome!!

That's what I'd go with.

RustyRanger01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3 slow
Transmission
Automatic
I went from firestone destination tires to sumitomo all-terrain tires and there is no comparison. I live down a 3/4 mile gravel road and it is a ton better. I hope this helps you.

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i second BFGs A/Ts i had them on another truck did pretty decent in the mud and real good on the street i loved them they lasted forever infact the truck they were on when i sold it they are still on it and i see him just about everyday. they last a long time

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I just got a set of almost brand new p235/75/r15 goodyear wranglre but the old style that like a a/t tire

they are on sale for $60.00 bucks a piece

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if you are looking for cheap tires and want to help the enviorment a place that sells retread tire its called treadwright i think not to sure its where i got my BFG A/Ts

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got mud king xt's 30 x 9.5's for 125 apiece. Talk about grip. I live down 2.5 miles of gravel. I like em

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Michelin LTX M/S. I loved the first ones so much, I bought them again for the Ranger. They handle great in all types of terrain. Including snow, ice, sand, gravel, mud, and pavement. And they are quiet. Never had any road hum unless the road was grated. Lastly, if you drive a lot. These tires last a long time. It is not unusually for these tires to last beyond 80K miles when taken care of. A Ford E-150 had them stock. Drove the van beyond 100K miles in 3 years before having to replace the tires.

erocka1982

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
trailcutters are cheap and their pretty good!:icon_thumby:

loneranger04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
WOW, sounds like every one here has a variety of everything. im really not intrested in retreads. but thanks for all the comments and inputs. its always a good time to here what fellow ranger lovers have to say.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Firestone Destination A/T are rated #1 on tirerack and arent too expensive. Cheaper than the BFG's too. My brother had them and loved them. Said they did great in pretty much every road condition. I will be getting a set soon for my truck
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT&width=31X&ratio=10.5&diameter=15&tireSearch=true
+1 on the Destination A/T's! :yahoo: :icon_hornsup: Last year I got a set upon the recomendation of a friend, and on the recomendation of my mechanic, who runs them ON HIS PERSONAL TRUCK!

It snowed about 1.5 inches here today, just enough to make the roads slick & messy. The 'Stones held the road like they were adheared with super glue!

My truck's a '94 2.3, 4x4 & stick shift (just so you can compare), and I don't have any weight in the back. These tires grip like a pitbull onto a t-bone. When the do start to slide, it's in a very predictable and controlable way. On the way home, I went into a snow-covered parking lot for some, ahem, "vehicle control pratice." It took some doing to break the back end loose!

As for longevity, It looks like I'll get close to 75,000 out of this set, easy!

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have 4 uniroyal liberators, they seem fine.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
A couple years back I went looking for new tires for my Ranger. Since I work construction and often have to get off the road on muddy jobsites and so forth, I didn't want a street tire and I didn't really want the noise of a mud tire since I drove the highway to college. I wanted an AT with bite (besides, I had a set of muds intended to use as winter treads).

BFG AT tires didn't look aggressive enough for my taste. Neither did some other "AT" tires and some mud/snow tires.

Then the guy at the tire shop showed me some Sport King radial AT tires. Nice open tread pattern, but not quite a mud with factory siping. I put over 50k on 'em and loved them, they completely outperformed my expectations, they did great in every condition except deep mud or snow, and even then they'd do some clawing. I could break 'em free on wet pavement an such, but it usually wasn't a problem.

Now Sport Kings have gotten a lil more pricey, so I went looking elsewhere for treads for my F-150. I'll probably go with Mastercraft Courser CT's or Cooper Discovery ST's, both looked like the nice open and blocky tread pattern I like.

My dad always ran aggressive treads on the rear of his dump trucks, a blocky traction tire because they did a lot better than the all-season treads that everyone wants to put on that sort of thing. That I can remember I never managed to get his dump truck stuck (F-350 with trac-lock rear, 2wd) or any of my trucks stuck with tires that either he picked or I picked with the exception of when I shattered the front axle in my Choptop and was nearly up to the frame in mud.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals