• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Ranger, no defrost?

MTBangor

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Lar
Transmission
Automatic
Hello! I am a returning member, as i sold my first Ranger (95 xlt 3.0 2wd) maybe 11 or 12 years ago now. Last week i purchased a 2021 Ranger Lariat with the FX4 package, loaded with every option package. I was a happy camper for the first 300 miles, until the windows started fogging up on the freeway with no way to see and my wife and three kids in the truck. Defrost was on high, i could here blowing somewhere behind the dash, but nothing coming out of vents. I changed the temp to lowest setting and put it on the dash setting, and no air came out the vents, no change with or without AC. Soonest appointment at the dealer is February 25th! Ill probably be deployed again by then. Any ideas? I live in Western Washington, so driving without a working defroster is just not an option.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Did you check with Port Orchard Ford? This is a safety issue this time of year in the PNW. Chances are the AC system is having an issue conditioning the air.

IMO, Brand new truck I should have to wait 2 months for an appointment. Take is up with the sales manager to help you get it in. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

BTW, welcome back.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have read about the No Defrost and other HVAC issues before so it is on Ford's Radar as an issue

Not that that helps you, if dealer won't get you in

MTBangor

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Lar
Transmission
Automatic
Did you check with Port Orchard Ford? This is a safety issue this time of year in the PNW. Chances are the AC system is having an issue conditioning the air.

IMO, Brand new truck I should have to wait 2 months for an appointment. Take is up with the sales manager to help you get it in. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

BTW, welcome back.
Thanks. Just got an appointment with port orchard ford for 29 December. Soonest possible…

MTBangor

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Lar
Transmission
Automatic
I parked the truck for awhile and went about my business. When i got back, air was working fine! Until about 15 minutes from home on the highway again, when all air stopped working. Really unfortunate, as I traded in 2020 silverado crew with 10k on it that had zero issues, but less fancy on the interior.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. Just got an appointment with port orchard ford for 29 December. Soonest possible…
Find a decent dealer and start from there. A month with defrost (parts backorder aside) is rediculous.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
contact Ford Customer Service. The number is in the owner's manual. Start a case, brand new vehicle should be high priority.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
contact Ford Customer Service. The number is in the owner's manual. Start a case, brand new vehicle should be high priority.
It's a safety thing too.

Mp3sgt

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What I have found is that you will have to put the temp to max/hot either using the driver's side temp control or on the screen. I agree it is a problem but that may be a fix. I have not had this exact issue but do have times where the air is not moving. This seems to be when the temp is set for my comfort and the vehicle believes no temperature change is needed inside.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Calling the CRC and opening a case may help but it basically just creates work for the dealer service manager. I ran our service department from 1982 until 2017 and never put off anyone more than about 2 weeks- and that would be for a major repair, not a diagnosis. If the service department schedule is run by Ford dealer standards, 70% of the daily hours are booked and 30% are filled with "emergencies" or walk ins. The current tech shortage is probably causing at least some delay, now that working with your hands is not considered a job worthy of respect.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
@19Walt93 I totally understand the concept, I was a service manager at a Chevrolet Dealer many eons ago. In a case such as this, Ford engineering needs to get involve ASAP, and starting a case is the first step.

IMO, the if the customer explains the problem, the best they can on the phone, and the dealer just sets up an appointment. The dealer is wrong. At my dealership if there was a safety issue I would have the vehicle towed to the closest Chevrolet dealership and pay for the toy.

Customer Service is just words in today's world IMO.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
At my dealership if there was a safety issue I would have the vehicle towed to the closest Chevrolet dealership and pay for the toy.
Now you're just baiting me.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
@19Walt93 I totally understand the concept, I was a service manager at a Chevrolet Dealer many eons ago. In a case such as this, Ford engineering needs to get involve ASAP, and starting a case is the first step.

IMO, the if the customer explains the problem, the best they can on the phone, and the dealer just sets up an appointment. The dealer is wrong. At my dealership if there was a safety issue I would have the vehicle towed to the closest Chevrolet dealership and pay for the toy.

Customer Service is just words in today's world IMO.
I agree but the CRC isn't engineering, they're semi trained phone receptionists. I'd go to the dealer in person because the dealer may have someone with similar qualifications making appointments, rather that occupy the time of service employees who actually know something about vehicles. If an in person visit doesn't get it done, then call the CRC- and be prepared to call multiple times until you hear from someone with answers.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
Opinions Vary...

Screen Shot.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals