• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Member from Wisconsin

Duke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have visited this site off and on for quite some time and finally decided to join.
I currently own an extended cab Green Ranger that is bagged, shaved, has a 4 link rear, 4.0, 5 spd, 18s, custom tweed interior, 2.25" exhaust slide back roof section and quite a few other mods. This winter I am planning on putting in 3.73s, headers, limited slip, tint and maybe a dual exhaust system.
I also own a 91 gray Ranger that is mostly stock, regular cab, 2wd, 5 spd, 3.0. I am planning on doing a complete overhaul down the road. I have started to get the parts such as a Vortech V-7 YSI supercharger, but won't have a finished product for several years as it will be very expensive.
Some other vehicles I own:
78 Lincoln Mark V with 22" rims, 460 and it has 46,000 miles
1953 Ford F250 with a 239 flathead and manual waiting for restoration
1980 F150 4x4, 300six, 4spd
1988 Suzuki Samurai (I'd like to put a Ford engine tranny combo in it someday)
My wife drives a 2002 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Welcome to TRS~!

There is another member on here who put a 2.3 into a Zuki...and I've thought of doing the same thing with my 95...but that would require quite a bit more work than I'm willing to do presently...I'd rather rebuild the 1.6 and either turbo or supercharge it...but that's another story...don't see too many of those on the road...

Duke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply.
As for the the Samurai I would like to do an engine conversion, because mine only has 63 hp stock and I don't think there is much more to be had, even with mods, to the little 1.3L. The engines I have considered are the 2.3 Ranger, 2.3 SVO (they are too rare and costly), Ranger 3.0, VW 1.9TDI (uses original trans), mazda rotary(not a torque engine) and the Ranger 2.8. I think the best would be to find a 2.8 since mine is carburated and it will be the easiest to hook a 2wd Transmission to the divorced transfer case.
Do you think converting to fuel injection will be overly complicated?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Converting to FI isn't too difficult...but it can become expensive and time consuming...I'd assume you'd FI a 3.0 or something...the 2.8 is not like a 2.9 with a carb...they are, apparently, different engines...but, essentially...the conversion isn't difficult...I went the other way with my Ranger...because it was easier...

I would suggest a 1.6 DOHC (16 valve) version of the engine...and I think they actually use the same bolt pattern as the 1. 6 IIRC....but have it rebuilt wth slight over bore...but you might also want to check out Zukwharrie (sp?) as there are many enthusiasts on that site that could better advise you...you could probably get an intake and carb that would work...or maybe modify the intake from the 1.6...but there are probably better options and I would admit to not being in a position to make further suggestions...

I pretty much stopped looking at my options on that after discovering some major rust on the front firewall...and this is what I just spent over $5,000 on a second Ranger to get over...so not sure if I want a repeat of that whole schmozzle....

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome Duke! Nice looking Ranger even tho I'm not into dropped or hugh lifts. Quite a few of up here in Central Wis. with a variety of different Rangers. Jump in and enjoy.
Dave

Duke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mark_88
I had never heard of zukwharrie, but it looks great and I bookmarked it.:icon_thumby: I have also had the thought of pulling my excellent running 3.0 and putting it in my Samurai since I am going to be putting a v-8 in it, but would hate to have another project of parts and frames laying around. I am restoring a 1980 4x4 F150 and a 1953 F250, and the 1980 is taking up three places in the shed. Ideally I wanted a 2.8 since it is carbed and would theoretically be easy. Since I have a divorced t-case it would be best to find a 2wd one and I'd like a 5spd, but I can't find the combo. I've heard of the 1.6 conversion on Calmini.com, but would still like a ranger v-6.

Mac
Thanks for the compliment. I was thinking about showing it in that forum where people show off, but haven't gotten around to cleaning it and taking pictures. My wife just gave birth to my second child! Now I have a 20 month old girl and a newborn boy.
I grew up in central Wisconsin. Does Vesper ring a bell?
Every time I look at your signature it reminds me that my wife really wants a Roush 427R for our next vehicle.:3gears::headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals