• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New heart for the Chevy

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Ordered my injectors today. I bought a set of Delphi (made in the USA) mil surplus injectors. NIB for $100.

These are non-turbo injectors meant for the 6.5 N/A HMMWV ...... the pop pressure is a little low 1877 psi instead of 2200 psi ....... I can put the shims from my injectors into them to get back to 2200 psi.... I have been assured by several members of TTS that the tip on these will indeed work with a turbo application.

I will post pics when they show up.

Last edited:

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have no idea what you are talking about on taking care of the problems with the gm diesels, can you point me in a direction of info?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I have no idea what you are talking about on taking care of the problems with the gm diesels, can you point me in a direction of info?
I don't know what they did to fix the problem. but Navistar changed the design slightly and they don't have the same issues with over boosting..... you are less likely to have a cracked head if it was cast by Navistar.

I was wrong about the power output ..... for some reason 390 stuck in my head but its not .....

on JP8 the P400 makes 250hp and 550 ft/lbs torque. it doesn't say what they did to fix the head cracking problem, only that they fixed it.

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know what Jp8 or P400 is, sorry for sounding ignorant, but I would like to find out about these, as the only options around here is using marine stuff, which still doen't help 'em much

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Jp8 is jet fuel. the P400 is the current engine used by the military which is a 400 ci version of the 6.5.

any 6.5 TD made after 2001 was cast by Navistar and is Identified by a pair of diamonds cast in the valley .... and cast under the valve cover. these will either be an Optimizer 6500 or a P400. They don't have the cracking issues that the GM cast 6.2/6.5 had. Navistar changed the design slightly and uses a better alloy

Even the Chinese knock off blocks and heads have the current design and according to Turbine Doctor are cast with high quality alloy.

if you have a set of heads that are cracked in such a way that they are pressurizing the cooling system there is a decent fix for that, I will try to find the link.

Last edited:

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
never heard of running a gresel on jet fuel..... also we get extremely little mil stuff around here...

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We had to burn Jet 8 fuel during Desert Shield. Our Motor T guys poured oil in the tanks after they filled us each time. I guess they treasoned that the jet fuel lacked lubricants a recipricating motor needs.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
thats my understanding of it

I have been told a diesel engine can be run off of Jp5 with no ill effects

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if we ain't running diesel, we are using extremely filtered used oil...

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
We had to burn Jet 8 fuel during Desert Shield. Our Motor T guys poured oil in the tanks after they filled us each time. I guess they treasoned that the jet fuel lacked lubricants a recipricating motor needs.
at Fairchild AFB they had to drain the fuel from the KC135s after every mission and dispose of it ..... those carry 200,000 pounds of fuel. it costs the AirForce about $1.00 a gallon to dispose of JP8 or Jp5. They can't put it back in the plane for fear of contamination, the fuel may not be contaminated but why take the chance? It doesn't cost anything to give that fuel to the Army or the Marine corp to burn in their diesel equipment....... They guy that came up with that idea saved the airforce more money every year than I can conceive.... plus guys with diesel rides were able to get Jp5 for free ......... just had to ask.

I use a qt of SAE non detergant 30w with every fill up to keep the pump lubed, I gained about 2 mpg over the 3 or 4 fill ups, plus it just ran better. the fuel available today just doesn't have enough Lubricity in it for older IDI diesels.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
God I love this thread... its learning me good about diesels. I already knew some stuff... but it kinda makes me want to talk my dad into keeping our IDI 7.3L

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
God I love this thread... its learning me good about diesels. I already knew some stuff... but it kinda makes me want to talk my dad into keeping our IDI 7.3L
that IDI Ford 7.3L is 10 foot tall and bullet proof...... If I ever got ahold of one I don't think I would part with it.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
can ya stuff one into ya chebby?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
that IDI Ford 7.3L is 10 foot tall and bullet proof...... If I ever got ahold of one I don't think I would part with it.
Yeah its not the motor that my dad wants to get rid of it its the Auto transmissions... It's gone through 1 already. and the power accesories are starting to stop... lol :icon_twisted:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals