• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Explorer

86_cookiemonster

November '08 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
What a joke, the thing looks like a minivan and is built on a car platform, does anyone else think that is as pathetic as my spelling?

I honestly hope they kill the ranger, because if they bring it back like they did the explorer I won't be able to drive mine anymore because i wouldn't be able to stand being linked to the kind of people who buy a front wheel drive car with a bed.

Last edited:

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you can thank the city folk and yuppies for the continuation of the unibody trend. unibody CUV's and the unibody SUV's seems to be the ugly future. Compact "trucks" are heading that way too.

Last edited:

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's a "concept" exploder.

Supposedly THIS is the spied 2011 Exploder...

Other sites claim it's a Flex... either way, barf... although... if it's a Flex, it's better than the previous!

Last edited:

blh0007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I bet the head designer of that is either gay or he was held at gun point and was forced to be gay. it looks like pure shat ford!:flipoff:

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
That's a "concept" exploder.

Supposedly THIS is the spied 2011 Exploder...

Other sites claim it's a Flex... either way, barf... although... if it's a Flex, it's better than the previous!
Actually that is the "Test Bed" vehicle. Notice the Freestyle ass and the Flex nose? The Exploder will be a uni-body but it will have it's own identity.

Burls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3 DHOC
Transmission
Automatic
you can thank the city folk and yuppies for the continuation of the unibody trend. unibody CUV's and the unibody SUV's seems to be the ugly future. Compact "trucks" are heading that way too.
No you can thank high oil prices & government gas mileage requirements for the mini van stance and unibody.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Car companies build what will sell, and a rough riding offroad savvy 1960's Bronco that is happy to get over 10mpg wouldn't sell well enough to pay the light bill.

I think it is great, they haven't had one that worth anything offroad for 16yrs and they still sold like hotcakes until gas went nuts. If they fix that snag they should have a show stopper once again.

Supposed to be 20% better milage for the normal Ex, my parents '02 just got 20mpg on a trip to Minnesota last week end, the old '94 wouldn't get that rolling down a cliff.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/26/2011-ford-explorer-reveal_n_658999.html

Last edited:

jasonl

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.25"
The real problem I have with the new Explorer's uni body design is that during the unveil on Facebook one of the engineers was bragging that they shaved 100lbs off as compared to the outgoing explorer... Really? You want to reinvent the wheel to save 100lbs? I mean if this thing was 500-1000lbs lighter I would say no brainer and accept it. But they gave up over 2,000lbs of towing capacity ,ground clearance and even made it look more car than truck to save 100lbs ? I think what Ford has done is create the perfect vehicle to compete with it's own crowded line up of crossovers. I mean the Grand Cherokee is bad ass and it is uni body, but it is still a real off road worthy vehicle that doesn't look like the CUV craze. If Ford simply went to some alloys in places on the current rig they could have shaved more weight than 100lbs. The EcoBoost could have been an upgrade to the current V-6 in power and MPG and have the 3.5V6 and keep the V-8 as a option to the 10% or whatever that wanted them. All most people wanted out of any real SUV was better MPG....... I love Fords, but I would take the new GC over this grocery getter if/when we buy a new "SUV"

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is already a lot of alloy in the current car. Quite a bit of the suspension, tranny, t-case, both differential cases, and the heads on the 4.6 are aluminum.

Chrysler has a distict pattern of going where the money ISN'T. If I was building cars they would be the last guys I would cheat off of. Besides that, it looks just as CUVish as the new EX... doesn't look any taller either for the neglegable number of new car buyers that will actually offroad a new 4dr SUV.

jasonl

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.25"
The Jeep actually has an air shock 4x4 system that can raise ground clearance like 4.1" for off roading and lowers it like 2" from normal ride hieight for parking to make it easier to get in and out of. The one pictured might be in "park" mode? My point was why not leave the Explorer alone and refine the drivetrain for the fuel economy numbers? Obviously 100lbs isn't where they got the fuel economy from...lol

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It also probably handles, rides and all around drives better than the outgoing model as well. Not to mention safer.

Not being shaped like a huge pile of bricks would help too.

Only the fanciest Grand Cherokee's get the air suspension, so it isn't a really going to be a super common option anyway... and I doubt many that pony up for it will actually really offroad it anyway.

http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/grandcherokee/2011/review.html

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Odd that they (ford) want more money for the 4 cylinder even though it IS turbocharged... yet produces less ponies and torque.

jasonl

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.25"
It also probably handles, rides and all around drives better than the outgoing model as well. Not to mention safer.

Not being shaped like a huge pile of bricks would help too.

Only the fanciest Grand Cherokee's get the air suspension, so it isn't a really going to be a super common option anyway... and I doubt many that pony up for it will actually really offroad it anyway.

http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/grandcherokee/2011/review.html
Still, comparing apples to apples, the GC in Laredo 4x4 trim (which will be a large majority) has 8.6" running ground clearance vs 7.6" for the new EX, approach angle 26.3 vs 21.7 depart angle 26.5 vs 21.4 etc..... The GC will go places the EX would cry and rip the undercarriage off. You're right probably 75% of the owners will never be affected by the fact that the Jeep would be a superior and/or legitimate vehicle to take on some soft core off road excursion cmpared to the EX. For the rest of us though the new EX is a joke. They could have left the chassis alone, handling and ride are not where the complaints came from. It was MPG. They could have gave it a face lift and 25MPG and maintained all of it's capabilities, but they didn't. We'll see how it plays out for Ford. I bleed Blue oval Blue, I am just disappointed in this new grocery store parking lot "Explorer".......

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals