• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Clutch and now sheared output shaft.

Broaner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 89
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Transmission
Manual
Okay so I'm not totally sure that its a sheared output but thats my first guess before ripping into it. I put in an aftermarket dual friction clutch which is apparently too much grabbing power for the stock drivetrain.

After a nice gentle break in period on the disc I started to get into a bit. So, I decided to go for a nice aggressive launch. I didn't launch from rev limiter but I wasn't pussy footin it either. Anyway, let out the clutch real quick(didn't drop it) only to hear a series of terrible noises with no movement.

So, before I tear this bia apart on Tuesday I'd like to get an idea of my options. The noise its making when in gear is what sounds like something sheared to me and its coming from directly between the t-case and tranny. If it is the output shaft, is it possible to replace it by removing just the rear most section of the tranny or is it more serious? If the latter is true I'll get a good yard tranny and call it a day. Or is there a week point on the input of the t-case and maybe thats whats messed?

Thanks guys.

P.S. Am I unreasonable to ask this much of a drivetrain trying to turn 33's? I'm fairly new to the offroading world. I come from a world where you drop the clutch and the tires spin if they're DR's or less. Or you drop it and you launch like a bat outta hell if you're on full slicks. Never before have I had a drivetrain component fail like this on such an underpowered motor.

Last edited:

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
The whole transmission must be pulled out in order to do anything. Pull the tcase first though and take a look at that just incase before pulling the transmission. Running 33's isn't asking alot really, I run 33x12.50's on my Ranger and i've put a pretty harsh beating on the thing over the last couple of years. Then again I haven't driven it much in the past few months because I found a cheap F250 to do all of my junkyard hauling but I still keep it around for fun.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There is no such thing as a transmission "output shaft." It's a MAINshaft, and the name is a clue as to what has to happen to replace it.

It's an unusual failure to break that, but if it's really gone, you need a transmission.

Broaner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 89
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Transmission
Manual
I was worried you guys would say that. Im gonna pull the T-case to see what I can see before I get a tranny from a yard. Now if only I could figure out how to get this heavy pig up the driveway and into the garage.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
If your referring to the centerforce dual friction, then no, its not "too much" grabbing power for the stock drivetrain. Ive been running that clutch without any problems for a few years now. Judging from the fact that you didnt specify gears in your sig, I assume that your still running stock gearing (probably 3.73s), just as I am. 33s and 3.73s are alil rough on takeoff in normal city driving. I wouldnt dare rev mine up and drop the clutch...thats just asking for problems. I would advise you not to do this anymore, especially until you get those gears changed. If your like me, you have the 240 to have fun launching with, or in my case the AWD DSM. :headbang:

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Honestly, the input shaft or countershaft would fail long before the mainshaft would. The mainshaft is much stronger than the others.

Broaner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 89
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Transmission
Manual
Got it up into the garage last night. As I pulled the T-case off shards of aluminum came out everywhere along with a couple chunks of hardened steel. Tranny is toast and in the process of dragging the bitch home the T-case got claimed as well. Planetary is completely shredded. Pics to come.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals