• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New 1997 Ford Ranger XLT.2.3L automatic owner.

RangerCharlieXLT97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, I am new so if this is in the wrong sub forum I apologize. I just bought the truck last week for 2,000.00. It's got 158,xxx miles. I noticed after filling it up today that the gas tank seems to have a small gas leak. I have looked all over online for a replacement tank but none of them seem to say that they fit my truck once I enter the info for my truck. Does anyone know the correct tank and possibly have a part#? It's weird that I can find the other years but not the 97. Thanks for any help you guys might be able to give.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Nice looking Ranger, not RED, but never the less a nice looking Ranger

You won't find replacement tanks, Ford started using plastic tanks in the early 1990's and no one makes replacements for these
BUT..............they can be easily repair with "plastic welding", yes its a thing, lol, and its how these tanks are made, the 2 halves are plastic weld together during assembly

Wrecking yard tanks are usually damaged by the fork lifts they use to move vehicles around, or bottom of tank is drilled out to drain fuel before its put out into the yard, environmental thing

That's the bad news

The good news is, its probably NOT the gas tank that's leaking, its the Filler/vent hose that's cracked and leaking, especially if you notice it after or during fill ups

You have a Stepside, Ford calls it a Flare side, so your filler/vent setup is different than "regular flat side" bed truck
So replacement needs to be for Stepside/flare side
Have a look under the truck on that side and feel around with your hand for breaks or gasoline on the outside of the filler and vent tubes

Easiest way to replace filler/vent or find a gasoline leak will be to pull back, or tilt up, the bed to get full access to the top of the gas tank

There are 6 torx 55 bolts holding down the bed, and 3 screws on filler(gas cap)
There is also the tail light wiring harness that needs to be unplugged if you are moving the bed back or off
But you can tilt the bed up and brace it to get access

If you have a lift and transmission jack then Dropping the tank is also an option, but I don't recommend this as a driveway/garage repair method, because its very very hard to get wiring and hoses back into place and then lining up the straps to re-install

Things to look at if bed is up, rear leaf spring hangers rust out on ALL pickup trucks, so on Rangers as well, these are much easier to change if bed is off

Last edited:

RangerCharlieXLT97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the info, when It stops monsoon season here in Missouri and dries out i'll get under there and take a look and I'll definitely check out the filler/vent hose when it stops raining. Ty again for all of the info, it's definitely a big help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals