• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Neutral Safety Switch Wires

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Being a dummy and new to cars at the time i did my duraspark swap, i wasn't very nice to the wires. I am trying to figure out what plug on the driver side the neutral safety switch plugs into. My truck is a 1985 B2 with the a4ld. If anyone sill has all their engine wires intact and could trace the wires for me and take a pic of the plug it runs to i would be grateful.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Google: ebay a4ld NSS images

You will see the switch so can then ID the 5 pin connector that goes on it.
Switch is located just above the shift linkage.

Red/light Blue wires are the pass thru wires for the starter motor relay

Ignition switch------(Red/light Blue)--------NSS------(Red/light Blue)------Starter Relay

Back up lights are often in the same switch,
Purple/Orange wire from Fuse #5
Black/Pink wire out to Back up Lights

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
So being an 85, i had to splice one of the red/light blue wires with another red/light blue wire. When i finished all the wiring when i first did my duraspark swap, it wouldnt crank unless i spliced a wire into the red/light blue that ran to the "S" post on the starter solenoid. So other than all the wires that come into the engine bay on the driver side, there is no other factory wiring in the engine bay. Do i need to worry about bypassing something to do with the NSS that runs into the dash? Just trying to eliminate anything that would cause my truck not to start.

I am terrible at wiring :sad:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is one Red/light blue wire that comes from the ignition switch, it ran to NSS.
This is the "power" wire only active when key is turned all the way to START position.

Yes, from NSS switch there would be TWO wires, one running to spark system and one running to "S" post on Starter Relay.
This gives 12volts to spark system when cranking, and activates the Starter Relay.
4 Post starter relays had an "I" post next to the "S" post, this post was used for the spark system, it only has 12v when starter relay is activated.

There is another 12v wire from the ignition switch that supplies power to spark system when key is in RUN position.
So if an engine fires when cranking then dies as soon as you let off the key, there is a problem with the RUN wire.
If engine doesn't fire when cranking but backfires when you let off the key, then START wire to spark system is bad.

Last edited:

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Ron; I believe your NSS response answered my question in my post 'confirmation request.'

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
There is one Red/light blue wire that comes from the ignition switch, it ran to NSS.
This is the "power" wire only active when key is turned all the way to START position.

Yes, from NSS switch there would be TWO wires, one running to spark system and one running to "S" post on Starter Relay.
This gives 12volts to spark system when cranking, and activates the Starter Relay.
4 Post starter relays had an "I" post next to the "S" post, this post was used for the spark system, it only has 12v when starter relay is activated.

There is another 12v wire from the ignition switch that supplies power to spark system when key is in RUN position.
So if an engine fires when cranking then dies as soon as you let off the key, there is a problem with the RUN wire.
If engine doesn't fire when cranking but backfires when you let off the key, then START wire to spark system is bad.
my car does nothing when turning over. There are two red/light blue wires coming from the firewall. There is a push on wire coming from the starter solenoid on the "I" terminal. Which wires where do I need to jump, or what ever I would do to bypass what the nss would connect to in the dash? Is there anything in the dash that would be preventing my truck from starting because of the lack of a NSS?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Twister: I have all my original wiring and will take some photos as soon as I can to post up.

In the mean time, the original red/lt blue NSS wire comes thru the driver's firewall and to an 8-pin female which plugs into the front headlight harness. that NSS wire terminates in a push on connector.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, nothing in the dash.
If the starter motor is working when you turn key to START then that part is fine.

The "I" wire on the starter relay can go to the "+" on the coil, so there would be 2 wires there.
Or I think it could go to the White wire on the Duraspark module either should be fine, on the module White is the Start wire and Red is the Run wire.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Twister: I have all my original wiring and will take some photos as soon as I can to post up.

In the mean time, the original red/lt blue NSS wire comes thru the driver's firewall and to an 8-pin female which plugs into the front headlight harness. that NSS wire terminates in a push on connector.
Thanks
No, nothing in the dash.
If the starter motor is working when you turn key to START then that part is fine.

The "I" wire on the starter relay can go to the "+" on the coil, so there would be 2 wires there.
Or I think it could go to the White wire on the Duraspark module either should be fine, on the module White is the Start wire and Red is the Run wire.
It turns over great, so by that, it would be safe to assume not to worry about anything with the NSS? If so I'm running out of things to check lol.

Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
not sure how much help the pics will be. one thing I did notice is coming out of the firewall into the 8-pin connector are the red/lt blue and a red/dark blue or black and the two look very similar (you mentioned you had two red/lt blue wires).

hope they help and if you need other pics let me know.

and even now, when I look at the relay and check the wiring diagram I think I have to move the wire connected to the I post to the Pos post...

Attachments

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes that "I" post wire looks like it has a big "eye" on the end so would go to the battery post.
Unless you trace it to the Coil "+", if that is where it goes then it is fine were it is.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals