• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Neon green in the oil filler neck???

ERICSRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The other day my oil light came on, so I went and popped the oil fill cap off and seen there was some antifreeze on the cap and on the edge of the filler neck. I have been having to add some oil at about every 1500 miles(minor valve cover leak and rear main) and antifreeze about every 2500 miles. This is the first time I have seen where maybe my antifreeze has been going... The question: What is the problem:icon_confused: Oh by the way there is no whit smoke out the exhaust, and th rad is solid.. Thanks ahead for your input...

Vehicle, 94 ext cab ranger 4.0 auto with 174,000 miles

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It MIGHT be a loose lower intake. It's probably not a head gasket. A cracked head is likely. Time for a cylinder leakdown test.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Condensation on the bottom of the valve covers or the oil filler cap is considered normal coming out of winter time. If the vehicle runs 1 hundred miles a day the condensation should be dried off.. However the COOLANT seen in there is a bad sign. If truly you have seen COOLANT and not just condensation you most likely have a small intake coolant leak.
Before tearing it down I'd for sure KNOW I was looking at coolant.
As for the missing coolant, most cases end up with a small exterior leak which goes unnoticed until colse inspection finds the source.
Big JIm

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
All true, but the neon green color is kinda hard to do with condensation.

289-tiger-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hopefully he just spilled some coolant (under the cap) somehow unexplainably.

I'd dump the oil and take a good look. This one doesn't sound good, but he said on the cap and on the edge of the filler. Surely if the coolant went through the engine and oil it would not be bright green.

Something does not sound quite right here

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I've been wondering that myself -- the few mild head cracks I've dealt with looked a lot more like snot or Vaseline inside the oil cap.

But I don't see how this could be done accidentally OR what else it could be aside from coolant.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Over the years many guys have seen the condenation on the oil cap and ASSUMED it to be coolant...the very reason to assure ones self that it isn't condensation and actually is coolant.. However if it really is green..well that should speak for itself.. But shouldn't it at least raise the oil level some? Oh yeah he also has an oil leak..
Big JIm

golosov

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Don't count on enough to change the oil level, and dont worry about headgasket or intake gasket. Any coolant leaking in one of those areas will look like chocolate milk not green. Same goes for your leak down test. I doubt you will find it that way either. I have seen what you are talking about several times. I made referance to it on another post here recently. My suggestion would be to get UV coolant dye and a good black light. Remove your valve covers and set up splash shields then run your engine till operating temp is reached and cooling system is pressurized. Then use the black light and watch around the valve spring seats. Material is weak there and has a tendancy to get minute cracks. That is about the only way you are getting coolant in your valve covers without it getting whipped up in the oil.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't count on enough to change the oil level, and dont worry about headgasket or intake gasket. Any coolant leaking in one of those areas will look like chocolate milk not green. Same goes for your leak down test. I doubt you will find it that way either. I have seen what you are talking about several times. I made referance to it on another post here recently. My suggestion would be to get UV coolant dye and a good black light. Remove your valve covers and set up splash shields then run your engine till operating temp is reached and cooling system is pressurized. Then use the black light and watch around the valve spring seats. Material is weak there and has a tendancy to get minute cracks. That is about the only way you are getting coolant in your valve covers without it getting whipped up in the oil.
Ahaa! I hadn't heard of those cracks around the valve seats. Before splash shields and hot engine I think I would pump 20/25 pounds of pressure into the coolant system and see if I could make it leak thataway first before getting into the messy running it till hot method.
Thanks for the post about the valve seats..
Big JIm :headbang:

289-tiger-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If I had new looking coolant anywhere on the engine i'd be looking for a pinhole somewhere externally. Yes guy's I'm an optimist on this one. When I finally break a motor I usually carry a bucket a hundred feet or so back to pick up the parts. The 4.0 if maintained is a very dependable mill. Good ideas on the leakdown tests and valve guide cracks.

How many of you have noticed on the early 90's 4.0 the gray paint on the thermostat cover start to loose affinity (peel) from the part at the hose connection? That gave me a pinhole leak at temp.

Keep smiling

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals