• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Needing a shop for diesel conversion.

1994Fivespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have recently recovered from a 10 year illness that almost took my life. I have had this ranger for a good fraction of that time. It is a 2wd 4.0 5spd. Rust free. Cheap insurance. With a very high sentimental value. The engine is doing ok but is making some lifter noise I believe. I would like to start hunting down shops that would be willing to swap in a small diesel engine. I'm not picky about the engine. Although I think something like a 4bt would be overkill. Like I said, very high sentimental value here. The truck is good for a drive to anywhere in the US or Canada.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What's the budget?
What do you want from the swap when it's done (fuel economy, pulling power, etc)?
Where are you located?

1994Fivespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What's the budget?
What do you want from the swap when it's done (fuel economy, pulling power, etc)?
Where are you located?
Thank you for the response.

Budget:
The diesel option is basically plan B. Plan A is a overhauled 4.0 with aftermarket rockers and push-rods, bored, probably some other mods. I've priced around $3000 installed. So plan B is somewhere north of $3000. If someone were to lay out a solid plan for something like a ISF or a small CAT/Perkins motor, givin enough time & communication; I'm not exactly sure where to put the ceiling. The truck has history and I got time.

MPG:
I'm expecting MPG north of what a 4bt would get. Durability is my main concern.

Pulling Power:
None. Never going to pull a trailer.

I'm assuming there maybe Kubota and John Deere engines that work as well. VW and Benz probably have diesels that may work too. I just don't know. My hope is some shop owner reads this and feels he could do something with a motor he has laying around. There is 2-3 shops locally that I haven't checked with yet. Regardless I'll use this thread to show the build if it stays local.

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
When I have the time and space I'm going to attempt a small diesel conversion myself, if I still have my Ranger. Seems the VW 4 cyl would be good candidates as long as you don't have emission testing. greengeeker has an ongoing thread, and I know there are a few others. Between engine, trans adapter, whatever else, you might be able to get it done in the $3k range, if you compiled enough information yourself to cut down on the 'figuring out' costs of a shop doing it. A Stage II type tune on a 4 cyl VW TDI would probably be all the power you'd need, and get you some pretty good mpg to boot.

greasefittn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
diesel conversion

I have a couple of 5cyl Mercedes engines complete runners been stored inside since I took them out I drove both of them 15+ years each one 270k one 435k both run good I have a 4 speed stick from a 240 set up but you would like the m5r2 trans it has good ratio splits I have a 353 in my ranger but the merc engine fits ok to If you do the swap yourself, I'll bring one of them up to you for a couple of hundred plus fuel 24mpg from Norristown pa. ps also have a sd22T Datsun engine that I put a turbo on made my own kit , I bought that truck new in 81 rotted out in 10 years engine and trans has been sitting since 92 it had 97hp on the wheels with the turbo at 9 lbs {60 hp stock] find it a home

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals