• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need opinion on speakers!

zigzag801

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I need you're guy's opinion on some speakers I'm looking into. Found these on crutchfield for 130 bucks and was thinking about getting 4 of them for all round the truck

JL Audio TR525-CXi

2-way 5-1/4" speakers (pair)
injection-molded mica-filled polypropylene woofer
butyl rubber surround
1/2" textile dome tweeter
4-ohm impedance
2-50 watts RMS power range
frequency response: 63-22,000 Hz
sensitivity: 89 dB
depth: 2-1/2"
warranty: 1 year

I've heard that JL's are very good speakers for there money, so I'm really interested and I've seen some good ratings on them. But something is still holding me back...Thanks! :icon_thumby:

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2-way 5-1/4" speakers (pair)
injection-molded mica-filled polypropylene woofer
butyl rubber surround
1/2" textile dome tweeter
4-ohm impedance
2-50 watts RMS power range
frequency response: 63-22,000 Hz
sensitivity: 89 dB
depth: 2-1/2"
warranty: 1 year

I've heard that JL's are very good speakers for there money, so I'm really interested and I've seen some good ratings on them. But something is still holding me back...Thanks! :icon_thumby:
The numbers look pretty good. I'm sure the will sound excellent.
The frequency response doesn't go super low, but 63hz is very respectable for a speaker that size. Sensitivity is a touch low, but that might not be an issue, and definitely is not an issue if you're running an amp.
I don't know how they compare to other similar speakers but it's a good all around choice.
What's holding you back?

zigzag801

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
The cost was holding me back, I spent a good couple hours looking at www.sonicelectronix.com and I think I found some pioneers that would fit my need a lot more and they only cost 60 bucks for a pair.

6" x 8" 4-way Car Speakers
Power Handling:
Peak: 520 watts per pair / 260 watts each
RMS: 100 watts per pair / 50 watts each
Aramid fiber-reinforced, injection-molded polypropylene (IMPP) cone woofer
Butyl rubber surround
1-5/8" polyester fiber dome midrange
3/8" PET silver film supertweeter
4 ohms impedance
Top-mount depth: 2-7/16"
1-year SonicElectronix.com warranty

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
id get the pioneers personally.

jay fx4 knows alot about 6x8s and pioneer speakers, (just dont ask about door panels or ratttles) hehe

zigzag801

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've read that my ranger can fit the JLs and the Pioneers, although from the looks of my rear and door speakers the 6x8s look more like my stock ones size wise because my speakers aren't straight up round, I would go measure them but I'm currently at work.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
id get the pioneers personally.

jay fx4 knows alot about 6x8s and pioneer speakers, (just dont ask about door panels or ratttles) hehe
LOL
I've read that my ranger can fit the JLs and the Pioneers, although from the looks of my rear and door speakers the 6x8s look more like my stock ones size wise because my speakers aren't straight up round, I would go measure them but I'm currently at work.
Okay, wasn't sure what the speaker size for a '94 was. If it's not round, it's probably 6x8.

michowski

Reaction score
50rms watts per speaker isnt the greatest. If you really like to just crank your radio up then I think you would want better then these. On a side note tho, thats a top notch brand so you will be getting a great product.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
50rms watts per speaker isnt the greatest. If you really like to just crank your radio up then I think you would want better then these. On a side note tho, thats a top notch brand so you will be getting a great product.
???? What do you suggest then? My speakers are only getting 20 RMS, and they make my ears bleed.

michowski

Reaction score
I actually got some pioneers from best buy for my truck, they were like 45rms each I believe or maybe even 50. Definatly could be louder but for the price they were a good deal. The same ones zigzag posted up.

Right now when I upgrade again with an amp, im gonna look for some component speakers. Leaning towards the kicker ks5.2 right now but thats subject to change lol. What speakers do you have in your truck now? Stock?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if hes running these off a headunit, 50 watts rms will be plenty, if he amped em i would say differently. anything more is just overkill unless he plans on upgrading his system. stay with the pioneers, there just fine.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Unless there's some high power head units I don't know about, feeding a speaker 50 watts RMS through a headunit is impossible anyway.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I actually got some pioneers from best buy for my truck, they were like 45rms each I believe or maybe even 50. Definatly could be louder but for the price they were a good deal. The same ones zigzag posted up.

Right now when I upgrade again with an amp, im gonna look for some component speakers. Leaning towards the kicker ks5.2 right now but thats subject to change lol. What speakers do you have in your truck now? Stock?
If you were running them off the head unit alone with no amp, you weren't giving them anywhere near the amount of power they could handle.

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if hes running these off a headunit, 50 watts rms will be plenty, if he amped em i would say differently. anything more is just overkill unless he plans on upgrading his system. stay with the pioneers, there just fine.
x2, the lower the power handling the higher the efficency. its pretty much a trade off. Those will be more than enough if you just using headunit power.
???? What do you suggest then? My speakers are only getting 20 RMS, and they make my ears bleed.
20w rms makes your ears bleed jay? you should hear mine, im running over 200w rms per door and my ears dont bleed lol, i think your just clipping your headunits signal to the speakers if they sound harsh enough to hurt your ears.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals