• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need More Braking Power

dwinmac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have replaced the internal combustion engine in a 1987 Ford Ranger with an electric motor and (more importantly relative to this post) 1400 pounds of batteries. The Ranger had a 2.3L L4 FI OHV engine and is Rear Wheel Drive only.

The state inspectors checked it out with some kind of inertia piece of equipment and claimed that the brakes did not stop it quickly enough. The electric motor kit includes a vacuum pump to handle the vacuum assist and we have included a barbecue pit size propane tank vacuum reservoir to help with the assist.

Are there any ideas as to where we could get the most increase in braking power for the least amount of effort and expense? We are considering increasing the vacuum shut off switch to get more vacuum (hopefully), using a larger vacuum reservoir or installing a new master cylinder and vacuum booster. Is it possible to put a larger/more powerful master cylinder and vacuum assist in a 1987 Ranger?

Sprag-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
First... Dude you're in Syracuse?!?! I have to see this thing, I'm in Potsdam.

Second, Check for vac leaks, and maybe look into moving up the the dual piston calipers in the newer rangers? Not sure how much fab that takes.

dwinmac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, just north of Syracuse in Liverpool.

Unfortunately the truck is in Rhode Island right now with my brother who helped me put it together. I probably won't bring it to Liverpool until the Spring. It from a kit by www.EVAmerica.com.

I'd be glad to let you know when I get it up here. Send me an email. I'm on page 58 of the Members List. I can send you some pictures as well.

In the meantime thanks for the info. The vacuum leak theory is probably one we should check out. I'll talk to my brother about updating calipers to see if he thinks it's doable.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
how does the kit deal with the steering? was it manual steering to start with? perhaps you could look into hydro-boost brakes instead of vaccume assisted brakes. they run off of the powersteering pump typically but theres a way to make it work.

i am sending you a PM to get some pictures of this thing. it sounds really cool!

dwinmac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just realized I never replied to this. We actually removed the power steering and installed a manual steering box.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
You could upgrade to the larger 2 piston calipers from the newer (93-97) rangers and maybe look at swapping in a disc brake 8.8 out of a 95+ explorer

gbadgley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99 Explorer
Make / Model
02 Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Try giving Dave Kimpland at PBS in East Syracuse a call. Dave is about the best in the area when it comes to problems like this.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
did the truck originally come with rear ABS?

i wonder how much trouble it would be to have functioning ABS on a vehicle without the original processor. i wouldnt think installing at least the rear ABS would be very difficult since it was an option in that generation...and it could really help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals