• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help with lifted 94 Explorer

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 94 Explorer that is lifted inches roughly 6 inches on 33's. The lift was installed by the prior owner and it appears the radius arms where custom made. I have been having some bad luck and one of the radius arms snapped off when I was backing out of a parking space. I want to put everything back together but I don't know any good welders in the Colorado Springs area. I was considering an SAS but it is beyond my budget right now and I had just put all new brakes, bearings, and hubs on the D35. Does anyone know if the Skyjacker extended radius arms will work on the Explorer, I only find them listed for the Ranger. Also I am guessing I would need to get it aligned after changing the arms, anyone know a place that can do a good alignment on the TTB here in Colorado Springs?

rngmStr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xplorer
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The SKYjacker arms will work:icon_thumby:..................

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Skyjacker, Duff, Superlift....all fit just fine. Explorer or ranger doesn't matter.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If the radius arms snapped in a parking lot make sure you check out everything on it lift wise and make sure it isn't ghetto fabbed

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looks like I am going to order the Skyjacker arms and just replace the stuff the PO installed. If I replace the radius arms and trans cross member do I need to get the front end aligned? Maybe a dumb question but never changed them out before.

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Having had a Sky Jacker CLass 2 on my truck for over 12 years, and now having a James Duff Set up sitting in my living room I will say Get the JD stuff. The Duff arms are so much beefier then the Skyjacker stuff. I like the idea of the Heim joints versus the Bushing the factory used( Skyjacker). THe trans Mounts from Duff is way beefier on the Duff set up. I have not taken the time to install the Duff setup on my truck yet but hope to get to it in the next week or so. If you have any questsions feel free to hit me up with a PM or something.

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So after letting the Explorer sit for 4 months I finally ordered the Duff radius arms and have begun the process of tearing things down. I have got one side tore down to the point of having 1 radius arm bolt left and then I can start installing the new arms. I have tried PB Blaster and a breaker bar with a 4ft cheater bar on it and have not had any luck, in fact the breaker bar broke. I have read about heating this up, whats good for this, any special torch? Anyway herea couple pics:

Broken Arm

New Jack Stands (47" height)

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
just heat it, it'll work great. i use one of those small propane torches from wally world. just be careful and think about where you're holding the flame. there's all sorts of fuel lines and rubber hoses and pressure lines under the truck that you dont need to melt through. i like the small torch cause it's easier to maneuver. an acetylene torch would work too, but if you dont have one, they're kinda expensive.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Broken Arm
Those look like Superlift radius arms and brackets. Usually they break right by the axle though... Never seen the stud busted off one. :shok:

Having had a Sky Jacker CLass 2 on my truck for over 12 years, and now having a James Duff Set up sitting in my living room I will say Get the JD stuff. The Duff arms are so much beefier then the Skyjacker stuff. I like the idea of the Heim joints versus the Bushing the factory used( Skyjacker). THe trans Mounts from Duff is way beefier on the Duff set up. I have not taken the time to install the Duff setup on my truck yet but hope to get to it in the next week or so. If you have any questsions feel free to hit me up with a PM or something.
Did you break a set of skyjacker arms?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where did you get those jack stands? Oh yeah, I use one of those small propane torches mentioned by 88_Eddie and it works great!

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
JAMES DUFF FTW!!!!!

James duff is by far the best manufacturer of ttb lift kits and suspension parts imo. They are heavy duty and are backed by a pretty good warranty. And they have really friendly and knowledgeable staff that really helps. They stand before their products and actually use them.

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I have got everything together except the transmission cross member. Got everything tightened up and went to put the cross member in and it does not fit. It overlaps the brackets by about a 1/4 inch on each side. Any suggestions or anyone had this issue with the duff stuff?

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Call James Duff directly and speak to someone there that knows about the product you bought. I'm sure that if you have a problem, they will either help you through it or make good on it (if it's a problem on their end).

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I had a simular issue when we put the Duff kit on my truck. It is like the frame rails bowed in when you removed the old Crossmember. I do believe I had the same issue when I installed the SkyJacker on the truck back in 1998.

What I did was loosen the bolt on the frame rail for the Radius Arm moutns and slip the crosmember in place. I then tightened the bolts down and did a final torque on them to set everything where I wanted it torque wise. It seemed to work fine on my truck and I am sure it would do the same for you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals