• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Help on a 2005 ford ranger 4x4

89fordranger2021

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello group,

I need some help and would be appreciated, I'm going to try to be detailed as much as possible. Well, let's get started.

I went out and bought a 2005 Ford Ranger 4.0L SOHC V6 4x4 County truck, the cam and head had badly been thru Hell, so I pulled out the 4.0 SOHC Engine and dropped in a 1998 Ford Ranger 4.0L OHV, when everything was reinstalled. I used the 4.0 sohc harness from the engine and reinstalled on the 4.0 OHV engine. I had to use the engine computer that was used with the OHV engine. I did have to re-pin the ecu plug. When I pulled the sohc computer out the odometer stopped working. So far everything in the truck works. It runs really well, and shifts well. So I do a full Diagnostics on the truck. Codes from the ecu comes up as P0500 VSS, and that's it. I have done diagnostics on the ABS system and working like it should. No other codes come up on the truck. I need help to find out how to get the odometer working right now. It's shifting on the output speed sensor on the transmission.

Help would be great!! I have a ton of time and money in it. Thanks.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The 2005 has an HEC instrument cluster, it receives its odometer information directly from the ECU. The 1998 ECU is simply not capable of sending a signal to an HEC cluster.

You need to go get a 1998-2003 pre HEC instrument cluster.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals